Conversation The Forum
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Kids being kids?

terry
terry Male
3 months ago
To be fair it's not just kids, so called adults are often just as bad. When you were younger, or even now perhaps?, did you do stuff that wasn't just daft but dangerous as well? like playing on railway lines, swimming in reservoir's, jumping off cliffs into shallow pools and the like, what's your opinion about such acts?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
We all had group education assembly's about the dangers of playing by pylons, railway lines etc in primary school. I wouldn't have been off doing stuff like that..
Molly
Molly Female
3 months ago
When I was growing up playing on the railway lines was commonplace and all the kids did it but the trains were slower and noisier so you could stay out of the way.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
One lad in the class above us had a terrible accident on the road by us playing chicken with his friends.. paralysed for life..so sad..I think that was enough to scare most kids out of being daring and dangerous.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
I think its Darwinism in action, lol.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
3 months ago
I think most kids of my generation did all of those or was out with others who did. We were aware of the dangers but more willing to take chances as we weren't being constantly bombarded with warnings from the media, signs around hazards unclimbable fences.
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
3 months ago
The more safety features you provide the more careless people become.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 months ago
I've seen under 5s in both Africa and India wielding massive great machetes to cut the flesh off coconuts and the like, as a fairly routine thing. Most of them seem to reach adulthood with a full set of limbs and digits. So I do have some sympathies with the idea that we might do too much to protect people from themselves, instead of teaching them technique and how to do things carefully. But them children grow up much faster in other parts of the world than they do in the developed world.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 months ago
*then
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
I remember coming home from shopping one day and thinking I'm sure I've picked up some bleach.. passed it off as nothing..thought I'd left it behind at the checkout ... A few days later a found the bleach tucked behind a chest of drawers..with some tent pegs.. so I shouted my lad and questioned him for answers.. why have you got this bleach? It's for a game he said.. what game requires two bottles of bleach and a packet of tent pegs?.. he said... It's called war..

No way I'd trust kids with machetes!
Greencare
Greencare Female
3 months ago
The more safety features you provide the more careless people become.

That is true.
Mazer
Mazer Male
3 months ago
Many parents rely on other people to educate their children on safety.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
3 months ago
That is true. Many parents don't even know where their kids are.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
3 months ago
So true.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
When "we" went off out to play for hours on our own, only coming back for meals, did our parents know where we were?
NeverSayNever
NeverSayNever Female
3 months ago
I think they thought they knew where you were.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
So maybe today's parents are more honest in admitting they don't know where their kids are?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
Depends on the parent. I mean kids can lie too right? The age old I'm at my mates house but isn't. I've always tried to keep close tabs on mine. My daughter never went out on the streets to play, she didn't want to. Neither did my lad until he was older and he had a phone so I could contact him at all times. I didn't like not knowing where my kids are. If I went missing off the front even for a second my nan would be knocking every door down looking for me when I was little.
Some parents would prefer the kids to be out of the house and not being a bother than home I noticed. But not all parents.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
But also as a teenager I couldn't be contained...
Greencare
Greencare Female
3 months ago
Kids have always misbehaved but I think today more kids feel independent, they have more confidence, have more money and they share a lot of information with their peers electronically which wouldn't have been possible in the past.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
I raely had money when I was a teen, it never stopped me disapearing, I was never where my parents thought I was.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
3 months ago
I lost my mum before my teens and my dad had always done his own thing so I had no parental influences in my life. When I was still at school I was jumping trains into London and wandering the West End. Lots of other kids my age used to say how jealous they were of my freedom but as I was the only person I knew who could do what they wanted and go where they fancied there was nothing to be jealous of.
I lived in a rough neighbourhood with rough kids but I don't think they could get away with the lack of supervision of kids today.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
I think you'd be surprised png, there are so many young people who fall through the net, because the increasingly huge holes in it. Social workers have huge case loads, more than they can possibly manage and as various scandals have shown theres still a lot of judgements made about people that leave them even more vulnerable and open to exploitation.

Help with conversations