Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Genome sequencing could be offered to all adults on NHS in bid to defeat cancers

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
4 months ago
Will it save lives or will the conspiracy theorists put people off treatment.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
4 months ago
sadly the conspiracy theorists have shown themselves up as ill-informed bigots this past couple of years so I genuinely worry at what they will say next which will cost health and lives.
Samx
Samx Male
4 months ago
It is well known that insurance companies would love to get their hands on gene results of every person they insure or assure. It would give them a massive advantage and increase the profit potential exponential. For this reason alone I would never allow this to happen to me.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
4 months ago
Life/health insurers already to a degree factor in genetics (indirectly) via family history.

The applicant's current state of health/personal medical history is though the primary means whereby the Underwriter decides whether they fit the Pricing Actuary's assumptions when setting the base line premium rate for the proposed age/duration of cover.

Mortality rates have been falling for decades - hence in the competitive market - all insurers need to compete.

Underwriting begins with the applicant completing a Proposal Form and depending on answers therein - there may be further processes before the application is either accepted (with or without an extra premium) or declined/postponed.

Where a life/health insurer decides that it is no longer profitable to continue selling policies - due to it being unprofitable because of increasing compliance burdens and therefore closes to new business - there is fierce competition by other dedicated insurers to buy such closed blocks of business - simply because of the margins between today's lower mortality/morbidity versus the higher rates of mortality/premiums which were applied in the past.

The buyer takes on all the contractual obligations to pay future claims - but also continues to receive all the future premium income (with it's baked in higher margins).

Since the completion of human genome mapping many years ago - there have been various moratoriums agreed whereby life/health insurers will not use such data. This of course means that some applicants will be cross subsidising others.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=372bb2e74decab6e30b934ab3fe59c9fe45ba4c978fdb892478e2f419113c003JmltdHM9MTY1NDI1ODI2OCZpZ3VpZD1hMzUyYjllZi0zNDBkLTRlZmQtODM3NC05MWNhNTUxZWZkZmUmaW5zaWQ9NTE1OA&ptn=3&fclid=400db9d2-e336-11ec-816e-d0dd3c6b86a2&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ292LnVrL2dvdmVybm1lbnQvcHVibGljYXRpb25zL2NvZGUtb24tZ2VuZXRpYy10ZXN0aW5nLWFuZC1pbnN1cmFuY2U&ntb=1
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
4 months ago
Stick with Hippocrates and never move on. Die younger but happy.
Mumsie
Mumsie Female
4 months ago
I had this done some time back , when I was diagnosed with a cancer . I don't know if it was coincidence or routine , communication recently asking if I wished to stay on this scheme or not ,,If this helps in curing hasty things in the body, all the better being on the plan
BlackMark1
BlackMark1 Male
4 months ago
I would too Mumsie. Some on here are more interested in insurance than their lives.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
4 months ago
One's GP will be able to do quite a few tests for the more common causes of morbidity/mortality - whilst those interested in a more in depth and "whole body" series of analyses can get those conducted commercially.

Most on here should already be aware of whether they have any issues with eg weight/blood pressure/lipids/blood sugar.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
I think that a lot of people don't understand genome sequencing, my understanding is that certain genes known to cause cancer are looked for, my DiL has a family history of breast cancer and had the gene test and it was found she has the gene conected with it, she now has screening every 6 months.

As with other health information its more who has access to it than the thing itself, insurance companies shouldn't have any more access to it than they do other health information, the police shouldn't have access to it either.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
3 months ago
"Some on here are more interested in insurance than their lives."

It is though noteworthy that back in the 1930s - there was a media outcry around the fact that Life Insurers were charging higher premium rates for people with high blood pressure (hypertension) - due to their higher mortality rates.

In turn that focused the minds of the medical profession on developing effective/tolerable treatments for hypertension - and along with treating hyperlipidaemia that will have majorly deferred the point when affected people suffered a fatal MI/CVA.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
3 months ago
"insurance companies shouldn't have any more access to it than they do other health information"

Life/Health Insurers for many years since the human genome mapping was completed have agreed not to use any genetic data per se.

However - all insurance contracts are based on the core principle of "utmost good faith" (Uberrima fides) whereby there is an expectation that knowledge of any risk should be entirely symmetrical - ie shared by the Applicant in full with the Insurer. All Life insurance application forms include a declaration by Applicant to the effect that they fully consent to giving Insurer full access to all their medical information - ie all GP records etc (in UK).

Most countries do not though have anything similar to the UK GP network - whereby all one's medical records from birth follow around to any new GP - eg when changing address. Hence in other countries there will often be an expectation for people to submit to physical medical examination which may include blood tests etc.

Assymetric knowledge aka Non Disclosure - is grounds for voiding the contract.
Mumsie
Mumsie Female
3 months ago
BlackMark1, I meant to type nasty , my failing eyesight , lets me down .
Did not even think of insurance at the time or since .
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
Sam changed the subject to insurance and BOYDEL provided the statistics LOLOL

Help with conversations