Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

To whom it concerns...

Slugs!

jpv
jpv Male
4 months ago
I planted 7 giant sunflowers (grown from seeds) and the hungry fat juicy slugs munched 5 of them!

Anyway, I have come up with a possible solution that seems to be working so far.

As they had a long stem without many leaves, I wrapped some kitchen foil around the stem and went as high as I could go.
I also spread a couple of handfuls of wood shavings around the base. I had some from my woodwork but you can easily buy this very cheap
from a pet shop or even Wilko.

I notice the slugs have so far avoided climbing up the stem. The way I know this is because one leaf from the sunflower was touching another shrub and they eat that!

Going to try it on my runner beans next.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
4 months ago
Nasty little things can make gardening a misery. Good luck with your latest plan.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
4 months ago
Some people create a barrier out of broken ceramics they won't climb over that. Shame they got the other sunflowers.

They do really brighten things up. We had some grow 15ft at the allotment, storms brought them all down :/ they did look awesome prior to that.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
4 months ago
Slugs seem to love sunflowers. Probably even more than they like hostas. My neighbour was complaining about the same thing. She sowed another batch and kept them indoors, hardening them off in the day and then bringing them in at night.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
4 months ago
I meant to suggest eggshells too. They aren't a massive issue for me I've been quite lucky growing. They guy next to me has pellets which I would never use, they are harmful to other animals if digested.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
4 months ago
I bought some fabulous terracotta post from Aldo last year. They have a really rough textured rim around the top. I can't see the molluscs getting past that.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
4 months ago
They are some clever little buggers.

Help with conversations