Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Labour tell Sadiq Khan to pipe down and get on with his job.

12Next Last

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
15 days ago
Sadiq Khan announced he is establishing the first ever London Drugs Commission to talk about drug legislation even though he has no power to do so. The Shadow Secretary had to explain to Khan what his job is.
Greencare
Greencare Female
15 days ago
Khan is useless. He only ever seems interested in politics and his personal ideals and doesn't give a damn for London or Londoners.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
15 days ago
Personally having just read about Khan's proposed commision I think its a good idea, drugs policy is a mess in this country and needs an overhaul, loolking at making it a public health matter rather than a criminal one would help individuals immensly. He's only looking at non class A's for this, I think taking some drugs like cannabis out of the criminal justice system would free up a lot of police time to go after suppliers of class A's.

I would of thought that a mayor has the power to set up a commission, but not the power to change national law.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
15 days ago
Don't worry you're too far away to suffer from Khan's devastation of London.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
15 days ago
It can't be bad to instigate some kind movement into sorting it out surely. Maybe some more efforts put into rehabilitation programmes too.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
15 days ago
But it's not my job, your job or Khans job. I think that was the point his party were making.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
15 days ago
People need to be willing to engage with Rehab programs - assuming any are available without a very long wait.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
15 days ago
There are plenty of long waiting lists, that was kind of my point. Rather than go against him why aren't the people whose job it is, jumping on board and supporting it?
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
15 days ago
They already have their own plans and procedures in place calculated by those who's job it is to organise such things. It wouldn't be good Labour policy to let any Tom, Dick or Harry making alternative arrangements which might clash or disrupt. Each to their own.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
15 days ago
During the Will Young documentary - there was a very revealing interview with a Cons Psychiatrist - which illustrated the pillar to post situation facing addicts.

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Will+Young+Brother&qpvt=will+young+brother&FORM=EWRE
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
15 days ago
Isn't he the Mayor? hardly a tom dick or harry. Maybe the elite are concerned their supply of coke might be interrupted with more crackdowns :P just an idea...
Mazer
Mazer Male
15 days ago
If you live in London you can see the devastation caused by Khan. He is the worst mayor of all time.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
15 days ago
I don't live in London, which is why I kept my post more general. If he's so bad then why has he been re-elected, he must be getting it right for many?
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
15 days ago
He is frequently referred to by Londoners as the worst London mayor ever but I'm sure he keeps the right palms greased. He is sitting pretty on his £150,000 or so salary.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
15 days ago
From a financial perspective - London is effectively a Tale of 2 Cities.....

Half of all households are in Rentals - with about half of that group relying on housing benefits. That is a far higher average in Rentals than the 37% nationally

The other half of London households will be a somewhat older but wealthier group of home owners - many of whom will have bought some decades ago - when the price/wage ratio was far lower than today.

Nationally as we see from current mainstream news outlets - just since 1997 - average property prices have risen from 3.5 x average wage to over 9 x average wage today.

London FTBs on average these days - will have a 30%/£100k cash deposit and average £60k in gross household earnings - and buy at an average £328k which in central London will usually be a 1 or 2 bed flat.

That contrasts with the national picture for FTBs - who on average have 24%/£17k cash deposit and gross household income averaging £38k and buy at average around £140k. But average wages outside London are half that inside London per ONS.

Overall not surprising that London has for many years been a Labour stronghold.
wholelottakaren
wholelottakaren Female
14 days ago
wHen. Maybe you need to study the ethnic mix of the city
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
14 days ago
He is frequently referred to by Londoners as the worst London mayor ever but I'm sure he keeps the right palms greased. He is sitting pretty on his £150,000 or so salary.

Does he get a house too?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
14 days ago
I know that London is the most ethnically diverse places in the country and probably the world too world. Why would further study of its ethnicity change my opinion of Khan? I don't really have an opinion about him, all I've said is that looking at drugs policy is overdue and that as he's been elected he must be keeping some people happy, whats wrong with what I've said?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
14 days ago
Worse than his predecessor? If he's recognising a major issue and trying to actively work on it I'm surprised at the backlash, I mean drug issues are at the root of many other serious issues ... various crimes, abuse, addiction.. to name but a few. Clearly he's ruffled a few feathers.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
14 days ago

Does he get a house too?

I think he does and that's a lot for doing little.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
14 days ago
Khan has ruffled the feathers of honest citizens of London who don't want to see the drug problems getting worse.
terry
terry Male
14 days ago
Not living or going to London I have no idea what Khan is like for the city, if it's true he wants to set up a commision to look at drug use then that sounds good, but would be better if something was done after the commision met and made any recommendations.

I get confused and annoyed about all these commisions and reports costing sometimes millions, being done and then nothing comes of them. We're good at saying we'll do something, then giving some money to someone to do something, but for some reason that money and service rarely reaches the people who it was given for.

So good on Khan for trying...though it wouldn't surprise me to find out in ten years it was just all talk with no intention of action - but that's the politics we seem to love.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
14 days ago
I think Khan is all talk terry. He plays to an audience.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
Not at all like his predecessor then. ;)
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
14 days ago
That's politics!

12Next Last

Help with conversations