Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The future of nuclear waste.. what's the plan and can it be safe?

AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
16 days ago
nuclear waste repository in Onkalo, Finland. IAEA Imagebank
Email
Twitter9
Facebook36
LinkedIn
Print
The UK is planning to significantly expand its nuclear capability, in an effort to decrease its reliance on carbon-based fossil fuels. The government is aiming to construct up to eight new reactors over the next couple of decades, with a view to increasing power capacity from approximately 8 gigawatts (GW) today to 24GW by 2050. This would meet around 25% of the forecast UK energy demand, compared to around 16% in 2020.

As part of this plan to triple nuclear capacity, also in the works is a £210 million investment for Rolls-Royce to develop and produce a fleet of small modular reactors (SMRs). SMRs are cheaper and can be used in locations which can’t host traditional, larger reactors, so this will give more options for future nuclear sites.

New reactors will inevitably mean more radioactive waste. Nuclear waste decommissioning, as of 2019, was already estimated to cost UK taxpayers £3 billion per year. The vast majority of our waste is held in storage facilities at or near ground level, mostly at Sellafield nuclear waste site in Cumbria, which is so large it has the infrastructure of a small town.

But above-ground nuclear storage isn’t a feasible long term plan – governments, academics and scientists are in agreement that permanent disposal below ground is the only long-term strategy that satisfies security and environmental concerns. So what plans are underway, and can they be delivered safely?
AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
16 days ago
https://theconversation.com/the-future-of-nuclear-waste-whats-the-plan-and-can-it-be-safe-181884
Aely
Aely Female
16 days ago
Probably nothing much and probably no.
Spent fuel rods are just another potential environmental disaster left for our grandchildren to live, or die, with.

Remember a skit many years ago based on the Ready Breck ad? "Want YOUR children to glow in the dark? Move to Sellafield!"
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
16 days ago
I remember that Aely, it was Not the Nine O'clock News.

What we do with nuclear waste is one of the reasons I'm against nuclear power.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
16 days ago
Trouble is - people still want to be able to heat their homes - but they also want that to be affordable and way cheaper than it is right now - and deffo way cheaper than the circa £3000 pa dual fuel bill which one Energy Supplier estimates it will cost by October.
Samx
Samx Male
16 days ago
Why don’t we blast these roads into space towards the Sun? They would be part of that fireball course no harm to anyone. Rocket technology has improved so much and it’s becoming cheaper all the time. Once in space and the trajectory is calculated correctly, the sun’s gravity is enough to attract the cargo.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
16 days ago
Not the Nine o Clock News, The Day Today and Brasseye... all brilliant fun.

I'm against nuclear power, and nuclear waste and weapons! ... there are better options now and more environmentally friendly ones too. Not sure I agree with your space method sam!
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
16 days ago
What we do with nuclear waste is one of the reasons I'm against nuclear power.

I think those are the thoughts of many.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
15 days ago
Humans have cause enough clutter in space, chucking our rubbish into space must be the modern equivalent of chucking it in the sea, then we wonder why it comes back with the tides.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
15 days ago
I would be very wary of firing nuclear waste into space.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
15 days ago
Me too.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
14 days ago
Nuclear waste sent into space and heading for the sun sounds like comic book stuff and I half expect Superman to fly in and save the day lol
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
14 days ago
Let's hope he is awake and watching LOLOL

Help with conversations