Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Dating long distance..

Can it work?

123Next Last

Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Have you had a successful long distance relationship?
leogirl
leogirl Female
A month ago
how long is a long distance and what is a successful relationship?
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
A month ago
the bigger the distance the more chance of success with some bints,
fantastic when they dont drive either, lol
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Who's a bint? lots of people don't drive, some people take alternative methods to travel.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Who's a bint? lots of people don't drive, some people take alternative methods to travel.
Samx
Samx Male
A month ago
It depends on the availability of transport, money and ability to travel. Intercontinental relationship tends not to succeed in the long term, except if one partners is moving to the other.

Relationships tend to be different for every couple. One of the bad point is if neither or one of the partners does not communicate what they want and what is expected, leogirl!
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
There is no reason why a long distance relationship should not be successful and many are with the couple moving on to get married and live happily ever after.
Mostly I think we dismiss those living far away at the initial stages and look for someone closer.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
A month ago
I think of long distance as anything over 50 miles or so but if you talk a lot and hit it off then it might be worth meeting to see what happens.
terry
terry Male
A month ago
I suppose it depends what's meant by successful, I had one with a lass in Somerset which lasted between two and three years, that was successful for me. Would I do it again? it's unlikely, for a lot of reasons.
leogirl
leogirl Female
A month ago
that is exactly the question I asked PIx . What is meant by successful relationship. . Ask yourself honestly what is important in your life / continuation of your previous life and lifestyle . Does that lifestyle match enough to be comfortable and happy with your prospective partner in everyday , somewhat dull , but realistic situations ? If yes, than distance should not be too much of a problem ,

leogirl
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
What is meant by successful relationship.

One in which you are both enjoying being together. Times and people change and if you part you do so on good terms and remain friends. Perfick!
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
A month ago
A bit of distance can be a good thing and prevent an over-enthusiastic potential partner becoming too full on, too soon.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
A month ago
I don't think it can, as it completely removes the possibility of any spontaneity, although maybe that works for some peoples relationship.

But I don't think distance in miles is always the only issue. Potential travel time & ease of the journey is too.
e.g. Many places south of the River from me aren't very far by road, but when you'd have to factor in how you'd get there (i.e. the M25 & the Dartford river crossings there and back with virtually guaranteed but also unpredictable traffic holdups and tolls on top) that would be a journey too much for me to consider as being worthwhile on a regular basis especially if a public transport alternative would be even more onerous.
Helenuk1963
Helenuk1963 Female
A month ago
Worked for me. Depends if you ( and they) think it's worth it I guess.
Cost of fuel might be an issue these days though.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
Relationships will work if that is what you both want.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
29 days ago
That is true HoW. When you chat online you have to make the decision if travelling is worthwhile but if you have been talking for a while you should know.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
29 days ago
Exactly.
RoseyCheeks
RoseyCheeks Female
28 days ago
Have you not seen the price of petrol? ;-)

I think it can work but it makes things harder. I've done it once, quite some time ago now, and only because he'd said he'd be willing to move here if it worked out (I own, he rented) but as time went by the reality of what that actually meant and the wrench of actually having to leave work, friends and family to move area and start again made it unviable, so I wouldn't recommend it. After a few months together alternate weekends, sometimes 3 weekends out of 4 and no prospect of seeing each other in the week just isn't enough to feel like it's going to work.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
28 days ago
Does marriage show that short distances don't work either lol.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
28 days ago
Good point lol.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
27 days ago
True love will always find a way.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
26 days ago
I think you can have too much of a good thing, MrQ.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
26 days ago
You can but it's more fun than having too much of a bad thing LOLOL
Titillating_Terence
Titillating_Terence Male
25 days ago
Each person's idea of what a long distance is varies a lot.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
25 days ago
I chat to ladies who can't drive who think 20 miles is a long distance which makes dating impossible and others who drive or are used to travelling who think hundreds of miles is ok.

123Next Last

Help with conversations