Conversation The Forum
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

kids are complaining now

capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
5 months ago
so i hear that the kids are complaining now because the parents cant renew tv channels and they have to wear jumpers in the house,
i mean really what sort of snowflakes are we raising, ?
bet it wasnt as hard back in the day ? :)
Pylon2021
Pylon2021 Male
5 months ago
It wasn't as hard regarding the TV as there were only 2 channels in my day as a youngster.

As for wearing a jumper, it used to be that cold in the winter of 1966 there was ice on the insides of the windows, but we were warm with 4 kids in one bed and a big coal fire to keep us warm during the day.

As you say "Snowflakes"!
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
5 months ago
Certainly in UK life has become far more comfortable for the masses - and before the 1950s entertainment in the home was limited to reading or radio - and central heating for the majority came on stream from late 1970s/early 1980s.

More active lifestyles in the past meant you got tired earlier and needed to go to bed sooner - whereas today you can be watching TV dramas till 3.00 am via Freeview - or 24/7 via streaming services.

But people are adaptable - and many kids will also have to relinquish having their own smartphone once the contracts expire - ditto any subscription TV services.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
5 months ago
i can remember before central heating and the ice inside the windows,
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
5 months ago
thats another one boydel ,
the smart phones on contract,
id not thought about that as i just buy a phone and get a top up.
that will really be tears before bed and tuntrums before skool,lol
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
5 months ago
Retailers for decades have been quite clever at marketing various products via monthly subscriptions - which make things seem far cheaper to a cursory appraisal.

In one sense those monthly subscriptions took over from Hire Purchase from the early post war decades - which many people used to buy furniture/white goods etc.

But in the 1950s/60s most households had no car nor even a home phone - hence the many deaths from the East Anglia floods in 1953 as there was sadly no means of warning people.
Samx
Samx Male
5 months ago
Yes, we are on the downtrend at the moment. Many empty shops, high fuel prices, less and less on the shelves, with ever spiralling prices for merchandise. People will have to learn to cook again soon, from scratch! Some people regret not to have been downsized in time. And what does the, ever so caring, government do? Hiking up taxes!!!
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
5 months ago
Life is easy and generally most of us are better off now than we were 50 years ago but we have had a relatively easy ride and become used to not having to make too much effort to comfortably survive. That cannot last forever and maybe now will be a time for each of us to consider our options and tighten our belts.
Our children have even know the easy life where all the home comforts are provided and have grown up in an era of peace and plenty from toy toy shops to iphone. Not being about to afford the latest £1000 iphone for you child does not constitute poverty!

PS. Before some smart arse makes the point - yes I know very well that not everyone is well off but the vast majority are.

Help with conversations