Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Catfishing

12Next Last

Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
Have you ever been catfished? Or do you know anyone who has?

For the sake of clarity, I am taking it to mean luring someone into a "relationship" by a prankster with a false online persona.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Some people use catfishing as a method to get information out of people too. I've never been catfished but fake profiles can be dangerous when people are putting their trust into that profile and arranging to meet and share numbers offline and such. To be honest this site has put me off the idea of online dating.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
I feel the same, pixie. There are a number of profiles close to where I live that seem likely to be all the same person, both male and female, so not even good for making new friends, let alone the dating aspect. I don't view this as a dating site any longer, for that reason.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
I have met a lot of ladies who are unlike their online profiles and some are unrecognisable by description or photo but that is not unusual and I'm sure men are the same with their profiles. Some are fake but many are trying to appear more attractive than they are or they see themselves very differently to how others see them.
I also know several with more than one profile and the profiles differ.

I've never been lured into a relationship and found that a lot of online profiles are "imaginative" but that does not continue when you actually meet for real.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
A month ago
I have noticed the same Minnie. A few local profiles all the same person but I know a couple of men on this site with more than one profile too.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
I don't take much notice of photos either, other than as a means of recognising your date when you meet. Although, this was a long time ago, twice I have met someone for the first time and managed to walk right past the person I was a meeting as they looked nothing like their photo.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
A month ago
Anyone that's been on here (& other similar sites) for a while shouldn't really have any difficulty spotting the real from the fake.
If there's any doubt a series of chats should soon reveal whether where they say they're from and who they're purporting to be is genuine or not.

I've given the benefit of the doubt a couple of times and met up with someone who didn't have a photo uploaded and didn't have one to share either. But I shan't be doing it again.
Twice bitten, thrice shy !!
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
I don't think all fakers are there to catfish, maybe some profiles are there because some people have been blocked by some users and they want to read the missing comments on the threads, I agree TBA you get a feel for who is really real, but when I see a new profile I always second guess it now. And yes I agree with you minnie anyone can use a picture taken from the net.

I catfished my own boyfriend about 20 years ago under a fake profile on a website as I was suspicious he was up to no good... and he was up to no good he arranged to meet me!
Mazer
Mazer Male
A month ago
I've used a second profile when I have been chatting or dating a member but are no longer interested and for various reasons want to be on the site without their knowledge. It's not nice to log on and have someone immediately on your case.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Could you not just block them Mazer?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
No, maybe I'm not seen as worth it because I'm very clear about not having any money, I live in a fairly remote area, one that many people have never heard of or don't know where it is, I'm naturally extremely cautious and I don't have other social media. As soon as someone wants to take things off site my hackles go up, especially if its within a couple of messages.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Catfishing is dangerous when people agree to meet up, and you have a person trusting in that profile. It can go very badly. I have a gaming app I use that has a messaging facility on there, and it's rife for people trying to pressure you off the app onto whatsapp or hangouts its rife for scammers. These messaging facilities have also been included on some game apps designed for children and it's very dangerous as to who can be hanging around on there trying to talk to kids. Google the 12 most dangerous apps for kids you would be surprised as some are games that most children have on their tablets or phones.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
I do take chances on people sometimes if I think they are trustworthy and give my Whatsapp, but only a few people have it. I have made a few mistakes, but it's easy to block people and if really necessary change your number. My location is always off on my phone.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
A month ago
minnie i think catfishing is when some old meth hag uses her stunning daughters pictures to get you interested,
terry
terry Male
A month ago
Something I hate with a passion, especially on a dating site. How can any relationship begin with a lie, because that's what it is, and do they who do it have the guts to admit it? again, what does that say for any future possible relationship?

Perhaps I'm lucky, I don't think it's ever happened to me, though not sure about others I know. I could never understand why I wasn't 'drawn' to have a romantic relationship with anyone from this site until a discussion with someone else from here who enlightened me to it. Perhaps luckily for me, I think all the people I have met have been honest and lovely people, I would also argue that catfishers are not always so easy to spot - especially early on. I used to think Hierophant was being unduly hard on people when he talked of it, lately I have to agree with him.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
Serves you right for being so superficial if you fell for that one, capn. ;)
Pylon2021
Pylon2021 Male
A month ago
Not being 100% sure what this "Catfishing" is, I take it is the same as being potentially "scammed".

It has happened recently on this site. Someone purporting to be honest but telling blatant lies. I dropped them like a tonne of red hot bricks. The inkling is always there in the back of your mind but I tend now to put a few lines of my past into a post, then the other person comes out with "tall tales". I do some basic research if there is any doubt about what they are saying, then call them out and use the "block" button after I have seen the message has been read. This lets them know they have been "rumbled" and I do not see them again.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
A month ago
im just a sucker for a pretty face me, lol
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
I can't say I've come across any meth hags.. someone watches too much breaking bad.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
A month ago
thats suprising as birminghams full of them,lol
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Rubbish.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
A month ago
plenty of that too, the trammps,lol
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Thats rich, aren't you're always going on about what a rough hole you live in... sounds like you love bragging about that kind of rubbish.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
A month ago
Not being 100% sure what this "Catfishing" is,

I think it's meaning does vary a bit from person to person. As one poster said it's nearly always easy to spot those being dishonest as long as wishful thinking doesn't blinker common sense.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
catfishing
/'katf????/
INFORMAL•US
the process of luring someone into a relationship by means of a fictional online persona.
"he was a victim of catfishing himself"

12Next Last

Help with conversations