Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Anyone got any tips

For excess phlegm

ravspal
ravspal Female
A month ago
Not a nice subject, but any ideas would be appreciated.
It's not a nasty colour, I don't have any health problems or allergies.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
A month ago
Drinking plenty of fluids but excluding alcohol.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
If you are coughing up stuff, having ruled out allergy or infection from what you have said, I think that you should speak to a doctor if it has lasted for more than a few days. I think it likely that they will want to listen to your chest when you breathe.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
Or you could go to the pharmacy, but they will quite possibly sell you something that won't work anyway. Expectorants don't do much. Whatever you decide to do, I would recommend speaking to a healthcare professional, not resorting to home remedies. It is most likely nothing of significance and self limiting, but can also be an indicator for other illnesses, which probably ought to be ruled out.
ravspal
ravspal Female
A month ago
I haven't got a cough minnie,chest is not wheezy, it is coming from nasal cavity . I did consult the pharmacist, and you are correct he sold me something that has disturbed sleep and made my mouth extremely dry. He asked lots of questions and said it is nothing serious but annoying.
Pylon2021
Pylon2021 Male
A month ago
My tip is this;

Book an appointment at your local GP.

Then do not read anymore posts on the subject as you will get "bamboozled" with anecdotal evidence from the site's "Nurse That Saved the World".
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
A month ago
excess phlegm, use tissues
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
I take it that steam hasn't worked then.
eurostar
eurostar Female
A month ago
Nasal sea salt spray available at chemists and supermarkets. I had that with covid
ravspal
ravspal Female
A month ago
Thank you euro,I saw that in the chemist.
Thank you all for your advise, even the hanky one. Lol
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
May be diet related - dairy products have been suggested as a cause - and personally I notice that excess carbohydrates (bread/potatoes) tend to provoke short bouts of the problem.

Maybe keep a diary for a couple of weeks - ie eating habits and incidence of excess phlegm. Then remove/reduce offending items from diet.
JustLyn
JustLyn Female
A month ago
It could be sinusitis, which is phlegm tricking down the back of the throat, rather than up from the lungs.

But Minnie has given good advice.

Help with conversations