Conversation The Forum
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Channel 4

privatisation

jpv
jpv Male
6 months ago
Why has the government decided to do this?
CH4 is already making a profit.

Any thoughts?
Blackjack
Blackjack Male
6 months ago
To sell it to friends the governemtn has been pushing this for a long time, lets rejoice it going into the very corporate hands so we cann forever be told what is truth adn what is lies and not have to think for ourselfves ever again.

Chanel 4 despite its failings a occasionally questions power- when sold it will be owned by the powers that it questions today - thus dumbing down further

Its a disaster for the popuation its fantastic for increasing further indoctination
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
6 months ago
It has been talked about before.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
6 months ago
look on the bright side Blackjack maybe Russia Today will bid for it LOLOL
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
6 months ago
The all 4 app is the best free tv app you can get really for cool content. What a shame its being privatised.
Samx
Samx Male
5 months ago
Channel 4 has to be brought into line with the policy of dumbing down the nation and discourage freethinking. Another nail in the coffin of democracy and help with extending the new police state.
Pboro Trevor
Pboro Trevor Male
5 months ago
It has been on the cards for years.

As for making a profit. Channel 4 heads have long argued that they do not make enough for investment in programs and they have voiced approval at going public.
Greencare
Greencare Female
5 months ago
What police state Sam? Which country are you talking about?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 months ago
They don't like any publically owned broadcaster, its an ideological thing, I hope C4 continue with the programs that make them so popular and that things like Bake Off and Gogglebox stay as free to view rather than get hidden behind a subscription paywall.
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
5 months ago
I must have at some time but I can't recall ever watching anything on Channel Four. I just this minute checked the tv listings and couldnt see a single programme over the week which would enitce me. Gogglebox looks like one of the best but you wouldn't want too much of it lol.
I do know Bake Off is/was popular but I hate cooks and cookery programmes so not for me.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
5 months ago
simply to make more cronies , more monies
Mazer
Mazer Male
5 months ago
Or lose them more money if it goes pear shaped.
JustLyn
JustLyn Female
5 months ago
I'm sad about it.
I've always liked the Channel 4 News perspective, but in private ownership, it'll probably have the owner's agenda bias.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
5 months ago
All news broadcasts have a bias it's just whether or not it agrees with ours.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 months ago
Thatcher set up C4 as a counter to the BBC in public broadcasting, it makes none of its own programs and supports a multi million if not billion pound program making industry based here in the UK and paying taxes here in the UK. It makes its revenue from advertising and is not publically funded, so it costs the tax payer nothing.

It seems there might be quite a backlash in parliament both commons and lords against this sale.
Greencare
Greencare Female
5 months ago
Could privatisation make it any worse?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 months ago
Worse than what?
Greencare
Greencare Female
5 months ago
If channel four was privatised would it be likely to become worse than it is now or is it possible improvements might be made.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
5 months ago
What changes are likely to be made to the programming?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 months ago
If the new owners are part of a larger media conglomerate then popular programs like Bake Off and Goggle Box could be taken behind a paywall and C4 become a testing ground for the popularity of new programs before they go behind a paywall. There could be a lack of innovative program making, from documentaries, to drama to light entertainment.
Molly
Molly Female
5 months ago
Anything could happen but it could also mean more programmes like Bake Off and Gogglebox. There could be more innovative program making.
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
5 months ago
Bake Off is channel four lol.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
5 months ago
That's not strictly true. Bake Off is by Love productions and is franchised by C4.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 months ago
All of C4's programs are made by independent production companies, it makes none in house, that was part of its remit when it was set up and has been a big part in Britains success in global film, television and media, an industry worth billions to the economy.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
5 months ago
C4/Film4 have done a number of productions and co-productions. Two notable ones are Slumdog millionaire and Trainspotting.

Help with conversations