Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Insulate for very little

Extert saving and advice

123Next Last

Blackjack
Blackjack Male
A month ago
Internal wool or fibre glass insulation need just a polythene membrane between it and the plaster wall, Why because it prevents the plaster from absorbing moisture that making the wall colder an rotting the timber baton holding the framework of the insulation.

As for the wallpaper idea its tokenism, a waste of time and effort - Depending on the covering of your external wall, if solid or cavity. My solution is a dream come true - I design build, solve problem ina wade range of areas and this is for those who want a rolls royce effec that will last a lifetime for a few pounds, One person can do it all - but neeed strength tow a doddle three times as fast.

What I did was very simple almost childishly so - and anyone can do it.

You need a particular glue, polystyrene sheets 8x4 as they are cheap as chips compared to the rest, mine is 2" thick. Glue it directly to the plaster wall - BUT prior to doing this scratch the paint on the plaster well, to provide a KEY for the glue, otherwise you are sticking it to the paint and it could or would become come detached over time. Scratching provides you want a strong anchor. Its easy to cut with a kitchen knife but be careful as you want tight joint. Once up you then buy 8X4 9.5mm plasterboard sheets to cover the polystyrene, However if the stuck polystyrene sheets are stuck horizontal or vertical you stick the plasterboard the opposite - staggering the joint as it makes it overall stronger, Look to some brickwork to see what I mean by staggering - copy that pattern

Once all done and dried you can then pollyfill just the joint till flush, Takes about 3 coverings till the joint appears seamless and then replace the skirting - glue back with left over from polystyrene to plaster - and paint it all- you would not know its there.

Just do this on 2 extenal walls.

THe cost on 12' x 12' room with 2 external walls less than £50 for the plasterboard, about £60 for the polystyrene at 1" thick £10-20 for the pollyfiller and about £70 for the glues.

If you shop around like e-bay or marketplace on facebook and gumtree -and have access to a car then you can half the price of the plasterboard and insulation or get 2" thick The glue can also be got on ebay for the plasterboard to polystyrene PVA is good enough not that good for the polystyrene to plaster – TOOLSTATION cheaper than Screwfix will sell the right tubes of glue stuff - just loads of blobs equally spaced. polystyrene to scratched wall

Job done over say 2 -3 days of disruption - you get the polystyrene and glue, scratch the walls and stick it up one day – next weekend the plasterboard, as the PVA you splosh on takes longer to stick / set than the tube glues – and on the third day paint job done.

It would take me doing it all apart from furniture clearance about a day but I would cheat and use the blob glue on both surfaces, fill it all and paint and hoover up the mess in one day. All by myself but getting the material extra time

Two people doing it so easy and can be fun will take less time too.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
Good idea for those who are practical.

The complications arise if the external walls have power points - as the cabling obvs needs to be extended a few inches and a secure backing constructed for the socket boxes.

Many properties have the kitchen at the rear on an external wall - so again that may need stripping out the kitchen and refitting later - ditto bathrooms with external walls.

Lots of work and disruption - but if people really want to be able to stay warm with affordable bills - this is the degree of adjustment needed.
Blackjack
Blackjack Male
A month ago
You did not read it boil - I said its child’s play – a child of 10 can do most of it itself girl or boy, and lifting the plasterboard is the only problem the rest all easily done no ladders a chaitr to stand on does it all.

But let deconstruct what you are really saying – its confession of how useless you are adn you assume all others are as useless as you. Your advice is hardly ever practical the electric central hearing was a disply of sheer ignorance and laziness. You do not know what you are ever talking about.

You ahve OPINIONS adn your whole practive is not to encourage, inform or enlighted or even educte is depressing what the f-k bother defeatist.

So let BOIL this down shall we in simple ichild spoonfuls.

Boil is incapable of the following as some people namely YOU are not practical as we only ever speak for ourselves.
Can one splodge glue in the wall, an infant can do that with their food, Boil cannt

Can you cut a piece of paper with a scissors or peel a potatoes with knife then you can cut the sheets of polystyrene Boil cannot even peel a potato .

Can you use blu tak to hang a picture on the wall then you can push the sheets into position a wall using a broom to push the top against the wall – boil cannt do that

Can you fill pollyfiller gaps, just like spreading butter of jam on bread Boil cannot do that

Can you polish or clean a kitchen surface then you can sans down polyfiller Boil cannot do that

Can you paint with a roller or paintbrush Boil cannot do that either

But because boil feel useless he want to bring everyone down to his level of incompetence as you feel you are useless or in my books just f-in lazy

Has boi encouraged other NO he is trying to put people off, because he drags people down to his lebel of ineptitude of pathetic advice

have you addededto the information of is it a compete and utter confession of how friggin useless y or downright lazy you are. Hiding his obvious uselessness.

So you want to put people off, that is the gist of your CONFESSION

A child of 10 could follow the instructions and with mums help do it all easily as explained buy not Boil as a self confessed incompetent who admits he has no REAL confidence in himself and in fact continues to offer questionable advice over stuff he knws sod all about and is uninterested interested in.

This sort of creature and there are several males on this site who think they can fool others by doing what boil dos smear and trash other people ideas, under the cover of confession how inadequate there actually are. Superficial nonentities who failed socially and think behind the atomicity of such plaes as this they can lure people into their messed up life.

I have nothing against anyone but I do not like frauds cheats, liars, con artist, people who pervert for their own self gratification – and attempt to pretend they have something to offer when in fact think they can compete with someone as vacuous as myself .

So lets get things straight I class myself as vacuous - full of shit, please other males judge yourself against my self confessed qualities. What might that make YOU?
Titillating_Terence
Titillating_Terence Male
A month ago
Whatever you're on giving you sudden brain changes I would seek medical help.
Titillating_Terence
Titillating_Terence Male
A month ago
Titillating_Terence
Titillating_Terence Male
A month ago
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
A month ago
Not so much vacuous BJ as rude and obnoxious and very boring.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
Obvs the OP is expecting a child of 10 to also drain down the GCH system - remove and replace any rads on external walls - and move any power points etc.

Plus manipulate 8x4 sheets of plasterboard etc.

Why on earth we send kids to senior school etc is beyond me - when they could all be working in the construction trade.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
I thought this was a really informative post, and If I wasn't renting I'd have a go at insulating for sure.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
The 37% of UK households in Rentals will need to wait until Govt clarifies the new minimum EPC ratings for Rental property - and the new EPC parameters. That could be a few years away though.

Currently a property with Gas heating gets a higher rating than those with Electric heating (all else being equal) - despite yesterday's Gas price increase being more than double the increase in Electricity price.
Blackjack
Blackjack Male
A month ago
YOU really are a BOIL on the arse of ignorance - full of puss doing a Jeff - perverting my words - changing the subject - you are outed MATE trying and boost your pathetic wreck of an ego at my expense - people like you should be pitied - they set themseves up for public humiliation

Is there anyone real on this site - certainly a few screws missing on the male side, and as for the females what a bunch of crap they are presented with to attempt to make a choice - I certainly do not envy thei predicament.

As I stated in my profile I am vamooses what the hell does that make you

-
SQL
SQL Male
A month ago
Anyone who is thinking of following Flatpack's advice re: insulating - DON'T. get some professional advice first or you will end up with a significant damp problem.

SQL
Jeff
Jeff Male
A month ago
You'll get a damp problem on your face if you call in Blackjack to do the work - because no matter how nice you are to him, he'll spit on you.
Molly
Molly Female
A month ago
BOYDEL Male Surrey
2-Apr-2022 19:40 new! Message #4881181
Obvs the OP is expecting a child of 10 to also drain down the GCH system - remove and replace any rads on external walls - and move any power points etc.

Why on earth we send kids to senior school etc is beyond me - when they could all be working in the construction trade.

Blackjack is a complete imbecile.
leogirl
leogirl Female
A month ago
the dampness is not only seeping through the outside walls the dampness is also IN the house, the steam from the shower, cooking etc ….

leogirl.
Blackjack
Blackjack Male
A month ago
Damp is NOT in the home, its called water vapour, every adult when they sleep looses about a pint of water, I seem to remember from years ago - waer vapour is in the air all the time it condenses on cold surfaces so insulation stops the surface from being cold enough to condense it.

And by the way no one her could afford me, I normally work for free for poor people - for any job unter £100 it petty cash I count in trhousands not pennies.
Blackjack
Blackjack Male
A month ago
Strangely enough the polystyren acts as a damep barrier is wateproof by the way, something the idiot males on thi post obviously do not have clue about

Does not anyone do anythng or know anythng practical on the site.

I work in London converting flats adn stuff, thus knowing th ephysical chemistry and a tad about the structural element of buildings I have no competition with people as most do not understand more than they are ased to do

It means I do all trades to a hight profession level, and to do this is just constant practice you need the brains of a carrot and to be honest you are already ahead in the building trade. You should have seen me in Scotland ove Christmas with some buildres, who were doing a job for a friend, - a crap job by the way - they knew nothing of any significance - and using my tallents in the psychological fiels, they completly freaked out, my frind felt sorry for them even took their side and I was only on a mark 4 setting - had they pissed me off - then frothing at the mouth was on the cards - So beware I terrify people inreal life if the mood takes adn its the male frieks I like to feed on.

What is the difference between me plastering a wall, designing a 5.. or 7.i surround sound system designing and making a staircase out of stainless steel and glass and cunnilingus?

No difference when you do your best at all times.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
A month ago
BOYDEL Male Surrey
2-Apr-2022 19:40 new! Message #4881181

tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
A month ago
BOYDEL Male Surrey
2-Apr-2022 20:22 new! Message #4881186
The 37% of UK households in Rentals will need to wait until Govt clarifies the new minimum EPC ratings for Rental property - and the new EPC parameters. That could be a few years away though.

Currently a property with Gas heating gets a higher rating than those with Electric heating (all else being equal) - despite yesterday's Gas price increase being more than double the increase in Electricity price.
SQL
SQL Male
A month ago
The more he posts the more obvious it is that he's trying to work from a 1970's 'Home Maintenance' booklet from Reader's Digest !!

SQL
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
A month ago
i doubt that any home maintanance books will be mentioning
cunnilingus? , lol
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
The 2 choices to save energy use/cost is to either insulate homes - or insulate bodies with warmer clothing.

The latter method applied to majority until around 50 years ago - but also in combo with being far less sedentary than today.

With Govt being hell bent on pricing motorists off the roads many may well be forced to at least walk to the nearest bus stop etc - though in turn that could well force many more households to swop to online grocery shopping etc.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
A month ago
i think its better to find a fat bird to cuddle at night rather than getting my grandads great war coat out for the bed,lol
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
A month ago
Good move capn.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
A month ago
i got more moves than jagger, :)

123Next Last

Help with conversations