Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Anti-Virus

Software

jpv
jpv Male
6 months ago
If anyone is using "Kaspersky" it may be worth changing to a different package. Being a Russian software, one cannot be too careful.

I used to use it when Barclays provided it free with current accounts, but they stopped during Trump's time when the US government stopped using it due to security risks.
Blackjack
Blackjack Male
6 months ago
I though it was about Covid and the CRISPA anti virus research - But its about Russia - look my dear inseminated or indoctrinated fellow human. This Anti Russian thing is going to go on for a few more years – it is the new normal where we will blame Russia for all the ills of the world and hopefully China will get equal billing soon.

We the western ideological principled lot who hold up freedom and democracy as the purest of religions for the wage and debt slaves to worship – is in the process of collapse. Lets be honest all counties that proactive this religion have increasing and perpetual poverty, unless you are rich of course and can look down on the unfortunates, wondering why they evolved.

So the new reality for freedom and democracy is incremental poverty or as I have stated for a very long time the road to hyper inflation. So the war with Russia which we have been in for around 250 years is yet again intensifying as it has before.

Unfortunately Russia helps feed the world being the biggest grain exporter, much larger that the USA – it also export things we need to survive like oil and gas - but food is possibly the ,most important. For the USA and Europe to grow food they need fertiliser, and yet again we all rely on Russia for it so crops will be down this year outside of Russia. So this year we could experience for the first time a sort of start of famine, and next year more so. So lets all get together and make sure we bite the hand that helps feed us and keeps us warm and things moving.

Sanctions are the new declaration of war – which cripple targeted countries like Yemen for instance, and soon if this not resolved people Yemen will be a common site everywhere – as like in the Irish famine if you cannot afford food - you die.

Russia and now Ukraine will export to friends only – so expect a bit of belt tightening. Covid was a terrible disappointment – the expected 65 million dead never materialised – and the figures reached were at the expense of cardiac, pulmonary problem magically disappearing as did flu and the pneumonias and such – and being person who can make figures say whatever I wish I know a bit about fiddling to prove what I wish.

So lets make sure the hatred against Russia can be sustained for at least a couple of years or more as this is going to drag on and on. Everyone know who needs to know in the world exactly what Putin’s war plans were as he tell everyone before he does things – or rather if you do this to me – I will react like this. Acting surprised that poking a wasps nest which seemed like a fun idea got one stung p[roves the plan was not thought out that well – we assumed he would react but now as he said he would. So welcome to the new reality shaped by the freedom and democratic world who relies completely on creating debt as we cannot and do not produce anything any more. Welcome to the pathway to hyper inflation – our esteemed leaders have put us all on – so that shouting at Russia, not buying the goods or arguments as I stated in my Liz truss piece we regard them Russia for over 250 years as sub human and the Chinese for a centaury less.

So its a choice of shouting abuse to no one who will listen – or accepting there has been a paradigm shit in the global situation. The Age of fighting poor countries like Yemen, Afghanistan Syria, Iraq Libya and many on the African continent Are one thing as they are out gunned and slaughtered like vermin which we appear to love doing – beating up the weak or kicking to death a few grannies is what we enjoy doing – Russia is not weak – it can defend itself – and that is the problem – and worse China might be able to do the same.

The question your should start to ask your self is simple, its not about software being Russian but should we NUKE bother Russia and China d get it over with – this is what the last 150 and 250 years of hating these cultures is all about, do we have
Blackjack
Blackjack Male
6 months ago
the right to exterminate them, should we exterminate them? I just bring the obvious to the forefront, dare to think about it?

I personally am in favour of nuking then both – so its around 1.5 billion deaths immediately and possible the dame again over a bit of time – so that leaves 5 billion left which is Ok with me providing we use our god given right for a first nuke option. If the Chinese or Russians dare to fire back then humanity could be reduced to a million or so, a bit of asset back but so what? So I am in favour of nuking both simultaneously – does that make me pro Russian?
Molly
Molly Female
6 months ago
jpv Male North Yorkshire
13-Mar-2022 10:49 new! Message #4876192
If anyone is using "Kaspersky" it may be worth changing to a different package. Being a Russian software, one cannot be too careful.

I used to use it when Barclays provided it free with current accounts, but they stopped during Trump's time when the US government stopped using it due to security risks.

Good point jpv.
Blackjack
Blackjack Male
6 months ago
The post is disguised as racial shit - and he knows it - wants to be seen as one of the lynch mob - when if anyone with a grain of common sense knows what SNOWDEN exposed - the USA with GCHQ rips into everyone's computer, phone, even tv these days - never mind car - everyone in every walk of life is under continuous surveillance everywhere, sod the Chinese, or Russians as if they want to know everyone’s pathetic details about their views on toilet paper and nonsense-

So the freak who wrote this innocent subject knew what it was doing - and its not about understanding - not about informing its all about prejudices and bigotry

I SAY NUKE RUSSIA and CHINA IMMEDIATELY EXTERMINATE THE LOT IN ONE GO which will solve that problem and we can get on with the next- starvation and poverty.

So software is the problem you NANCY boy - lets use our nukes a pre-emptive strike only 5 minutes to total annihilation they would not know what hit them before they had time to react.

Who want to nuke them like I do? Problem solved – exterminate them, like the billions the UK has done to population during and after their empire There are only a few hundred million Russians, and 1.4 billion Chinese, that is small change the the British achievement historically.

Why pussy foot around - white on white = whitewash.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
6 months ago
Racial Slurs and Racially Charged Language

The Faculty of English is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity.

To achieve that, it is important that all Faculty members feel able to talk about constructions of race, racism, racial inequality and the impact of colonialisation in primary texts, secondary criticism and in the institutions within which we work. It is equally important that the language we choose to engage with those issues is reflective and shows sensitivity to the lived experiences of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) students and staff within Cambridge.

Even while quoting from a text, using offensive and highly charged terms (such as the n-word) can have a detrimental impact on the ability of BAME students to learn. It can create a hostile learning environment and reinforce stereotype threat by foregrounding negative perceptions about a group of people.

To experience ‘stereotype threat’ is to feel that you are at risk of confirming, as self-characteristic, a negative stereotype about your group through your anticipated performance. This can have a detrimental impact on that performance. (See Faculty guidance on stereotype threat for further information.)

For these reasons, lecturers and supervisors are strongly discouraged from reading out or displaying on presentation slides the n-word and other racial slurs when quoting from a text or discussing it and to carefully consider the educational and emotional impact the use of such language may have. While a case may be made for preserving a quotation in full on a handout for the sake of accuracy, thought should be given to how such quotations are introduced.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
6 months ago
Some key terms currently in common use within race equality discourse are offered below to encourage reflection on the vocabulary we might use to talk about race. Language changes constantly and what was acceptable at one time, may become unacceptable. In choosing language to discuss race and racial inequality, be guided by whether the term is acceptable to members of the groups you are describing, rather than by the practice you are used to or your own personal preferences.

This document draws from the Equality Challenge Unit’s guidance ‘on approaching terminology around race and ethnicity’ and the Universities of Scotland ‘Race Equality Toolkit’. For a fuller discussion of terms related to race see:

The Universities of Scotland’s race equality toolkit and the Equality Challenge Unit’s guidance on approaching terminology around race and ethnicity.

Terminology
Black

This is a term that has undergone considerable change and development since the 1950s. As several different meanings are currently in use, it should be used with caution and understanding.

The North American Civil Rights Movement challenged the term’s earlier negative connotations and redefined it to refer to those peoples who suffered from and struggled against white racism, and whose cause was justice and equality. ‘Black’ replaced the derogatory terminology applied to African-Americans such as the n-word and gained positive connotations for its users. In Britain there has been an attempt to use this socio-political meaning to unite the victims of racism (whatever the specific gradation of their skin colour, or their geographical or ethnic origins) in opposition to its perpetuation and effects.

In recent years ‘black’ has been used less often in this all-encompassing sense, being replaced by such terms as ‘black and Asian’, ‘black and ethnic minority’, ‘black/minority ethnic’. There has been a growing desire from visible minority ethnic peoples to self-define themselves, including being defined as members of groups distinguished by ethnicity, nationality or religion..

However, the use of the word ‘black’ by bureaucrats and law makers to classify people has been challenged by some African communities in Britain as being particularly divisive and unhelpful. For instance, in the 2001 Census, some ethnic groups were categorised under ‘colour’, as in ‘Black African/Black Caribbean’ or ‘White British’, and other ethnic groups were categorised according to national origins such as ‘Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani’.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
6 months ago
BME and BAME

BME stands for Black and minority ethnic. BAME stands for Black, Asian and minority ethnic.

Both these terms have their limitations, including:

They imply that BME/BAME individuals are a homogeneous group.
Both BME and BAME single out specific ethnic groups, this can be divisive and exclusionary.
They can be perceived as convenient labels that are placed on minority ethnic groups of people, rather than identities with which people have chosen to identify.
It is generally perceived that these terms refer only to non-white people, which does not consider white minority ethnic groups.

Coloured

This term has in the past been used as an alternative to more derogatory names for visible minority ethnic people. The usage is now outdated and though it is still sometimes employed is considered offensive. It is sometimes mistakenly used instead of “people/person of colour”, which is not perceived as derogatory (see below).
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
6 months ago
Ethnicity

Race and ethnicity are often used interchangeably but it is useful to be clear about the difference. In 1983 the House of Lords defined an ethnic group as having the following features:

a long shared history of which the group is conscious as distinguishing it from other groups and the memory of which it keeps alive
a cultural tradition of its own including family and social manners, often but not necessarily associated with religious observance
a common, however distant, geographical origin
a common language and literature

Everyone has an ethnicity and ‘white British’ is an ethnic group.
Equality

The state of being equal. In an education context, this concept might offer students equal access and rights but might not take into consideration the additional steps required in order to enable better equality of outcome. See also the term ‘Equity’.
Equity

Equity is the quality of being impartial or fair. For treatment to be fair, issues of diversity need to be taken into account so that the different needs and requirements of individuals are met. An equitable approach in education is one that identifies and takes account of difference in fairly distributing time and resources, and impartially assessing outcomes. In equitable terms educational achievement should be an inclusive rather than an exclusive goal.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
6 months ago
Minority ethnic or ethnic minority?

‘Ethnic minority’ places the emphasis on ethnicity as the main issue. There can be a tendency in our media and language to see ‘ethnic’ as synonymous with not-white and so the term could be perceived as implying the issue is with people being not-white, or non-white people being the issue.

As a consequence the term tends to be reversed to refer to ‘minority ethnic groups’ to highlight the fact that everyone has an ethnicity and the issues being referred to relate to minority groups in a UK context and the discrimination and barriers that they face.
People of colour

The term ‘person of colour’ and its plural (abbreviation POC) originally gained popularity in the United States in the 1970s as a way of emphasising shared experiences of systemic racism based on skin colour.

The term has been criticised, however, for obscuring differences in the experiences of racism between minority ethnic groups. The Black Lives Matter movement, for instance, grew out of the African-American community’s campaign against the violence and systemic racism specifically directed towards them as a minority ethnic group. The term ‘person of colour’ has also been critiqued when used euphemistically by white people to avoid talking about race and tackling racism.
Race

When ‘race’ is used as a term, it should be used with a consciousness that ‘race’ is a social construct, with specific historical roots. Genetic differences within ethnic groups are greater than between different ethnic groups. There is no biological basis for defining differences by race.

‘‘Race’ is a social construct. Its changing manifestations reflect ideological attempts to legitimate domination in different social and historical contexts. Racism is therefore not about objective measurable physical and social characteristics, but about relationships of domination and subordination.’ R. Bhavnani, H.S. Mirza, V. Meetoo, ‘Tackling the roots of racism’ in The Policy Press
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
6 months ago
jpv Male North Yorkshire
13-Mar-2022 10:49 new! Message #4876192

It is worth being very careful with the security packages we use.
JustLyn
JustLyn Female
6 months ago
jpv

I have been having a problem with my mobile and an illegal interception cropping up called "googleleadservices" and I tried Kaspersky and uninstalled it as it was ineffective. I also wondered if I was expecting too much, as my issue wasn't apparently a virus anyway.

I tried another one called Antivirus+ (not a very innovative name), but it did the trick so, in my case, was more effective than Kaspersky.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
6 months ago
I didn't really understand this thread when I first looked at it earlier, I understand it even less now after TW's multiple and lengthy posts, I'm guessing it was in response to someone I can't see?
terry
terry Male
6 months ago
I use a free one and do regular clean out's with a file cleaner software.
jpv
jpv Male
6 months ago
wonderoushen,
The post is about Anti-Virus software on PCs and Mac computers. Because this software (Kaspersky) originates from Russia, the Russian State can request personal data from the company at any time. This also means that they can modify the software code and thus infect our computers if they feel like it.

TW's posts were in response to someone you can't see, I guess.
I will do a cut & paste reply to the message you cannot see.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine received the following message:
------------------------------------
Microsoft account - Unusual sign-in activity
We detected something unusual about a recent sign-in to the Microsoft account (his name)@hotmail.co.uk.

Sign-in details
Country/region: Russia/Moscow
IP address: 103.225.77.255
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 03:21:39 +0100
Platform: Windows 10
Browser: Firefox

A user from Russia/Moscow just logged into your account from a new device, If this wasn't you, please report the user. If this was you, we'll trust similar activity in the future.
Report The User
To opt out or change where you receive security notifications, click here.
Thanks,
The Microsoft account team

----------------------------------------------
I asked him if he is using Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Kaspersky password manager. He said 'yes', he had renewed the licence for another year.
jpv
jpv Male
6 months ago
Blackjack (South Yorkshire) 13-Mar-2022 18:05 new! Message #487631
The post is disguised as racial shit - and he knows it - wants to be seen as one of the lynch mob - when if anyone with a grain of common sense knows what SNOWDEN exposed - the USA with GCHQ rips into everyone's computer, phone, even tv these days - never mind car - everyone in every walk of life is under continuous surveillance everywhere, sod the Chinese, or Russians as if they want to know everyone’s pathetic details about their views on toilet paper and nonsense-

So the freak who wrote this innocent subject knew what it was doing - and its not about understanding - not about informing its all about prejudices and bigotry

I SAY NUKE RUSSIA and CHINA IMMEDIATELY EXTERMINATE THE LOT IN ONE GO which will solve that problem and we can get on with the next- starvation and poverty.

So software is the problem you NANCY boy - lets use our nukes a pre-emptive strike only 5 minutes to total annihilation they would not know what hit them before they had time to react.

Who want to nuke them like I do? Problem solved – exterminate them, like the billions the UK has done to population during and after their empire There are only a few hundred million Russians, and 1.4 billion Chinese, that is small change the the British achievement historically.

Why pussy foot around - white on white = whitewash.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wow! 🤷
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
6 months ago
I use anti malware, Malwarebytes, it's pretty good. I have been reading today of alleged threats of cyber attacks on the UK but I need to read more as it could just be a load of rubbish. however some banks have started tightening up more on security, and we have had recent warning messages from out bank saying that cards might not work and a secondary level of I.D might be required.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
6 months ago
Jpv. Wow. Yes very wow. I think Blackjack has completely lost the plot and has gone from insults, slurs and threatening to burn babies to completely mindless insane rants.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
6 months ago
Being fair, the completely mindless insane rants aren't just confined to our dear friend BJ.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
6 months ago
Careful MtM, people might think you're neversaynever...
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
6 months ago
Being fair, the completely mindless insane rants aren't just confined to our dear friend BJ.

Although BJ is by far the worst and most frequent I don't think anyone would say he is the only culprit.
jpv
jpv Male
6 months ago
Pixiefluff,
Malwarebytes is one of the best on the market.
Many years ago, they used to give out lifetime licences and I was fortunate enough to purchase a copy.

They have expanded to Mac, iPhone and Android phones, I download a free copy of I want to carry out checks.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
6 months ago
Yeah one of my best friend's is a computer tech and he recommended Malwarebytes about 15 years ago, and its still enhancing and going strong. Good stuffs!
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
6 months ago
Thank you JPV, I think.
jpv
jpv Male
6 months ago
Wow!, it's nice and quiet since I blocked two people. It feels normal. Should have done it a long time ago!

Help with conversations