Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Meter boxes

Getting a new one

wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
Our gas meter box blew off the wall the other day, I tried to put it back on but the peg thingies that hold it on seem to have perished, its says we have to have one to protect the electricity earthing through it. Its currently held together with duct tape. I contacted the utility company and they sent me a pdf form to order a new one at a cost of over £100, they say as its part of the fixtures and fittings of the house we are responsible, but we can get someone else to it a new one. Anyone got any ideas about where to get one, who could fit it, could I do it myself? Does it not seem a rip off to be charged over £100 for something so basic that I have little choice over?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
ts unfair that you have to pay it isn't your fault! can you replace the peg thingys for cheaper?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
https://www.tradecounterdirect.com/gas-meter-box-surface-503mm-x-408mm-x-224mmsurface-electric-box.html?gclid=CjwKCAiApfeQBhAUEiwA7KUH5MHakYZzbtI0U0d47hO8xUujcZKfnvuoUZUzxc6pUPRbRbVgfttxoCnFIQAvDBwE

Trade counter replacement box (is this the right thing? are we talking about the cover?)
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
2 months ago
It's worse than unfair when the box is provided by the company who takes a fortun from you every year of your life. It should be down to them to make any repairs.
Molly
Molly Female
2 months ago
I'm surprised the gas board don't do that free of charge.
Samx
Samx Male
2 months ago
I believe, that the utility company is responsible for metering consumption, hence it is their responsibility to install and maintain the relevant equipment. Don’t let them bamboozle you!
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
I agree with Sam, give them some stick until they come and change it free of charge, you didn't break it, they are responsible...
Aely
Aely Female
2 months ago
A couple of years ago this whole area had its incoming gas pipes and (indoor) gas meters replaced free of charge, regardless of the householders' energy provider or the ownership of the properties. I have no idea who footed the cost but I would guess it was all suppliers through the oirgainisation called "National Grid Metering" which apparently maintains and manages over 8 million domestic, industrial and commercial combined gas assets across the UK.

However - a quick Google search implies that the meter is the responsibility of the property owner. Moving a meter costs an average of £700. Replacing a meter is normally handled by your energy supplier, might be free but might attract an "Administration charge" depending on the supplier.

Does the meter need replacing or does it just need refixing to a wall? If it is the latter I guess any competent handyman could manage it but probably best to ask someone who is "Gas Safe", won't accidentally hit it with a hammer, and can check it for leaks..
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
The meter itself is fine, its the box that houses it thats perrished, the back plate that sits behind the meter is OK, but the front part of the box is broken and the fixings don't hold it anymore.
jpv
jpv Male
2 months ago
wonderoushen
The meter itself is fine, its the box that houses it thats perrished, the back plate that sits behind the meter is OK, but the front part of the box is broken and the fixings don't hold it anymore.

-------------
Just make a wooden box using marine ply and fit it in place of the old box. Right angle brackets can be fitted on the inside of the box to hold it in place. Your local builder's yard will have the ply and they will probably do all the cuts for you too. Make sure to use corrosion-resistant stainless steel screws and a couple of coats of outdoor yacht varnish or outdoor paint of your choice, with primer and two coats of undercoat.
SQL
SQL Male
2 months ago
Unfortunately the meter box is the responsibility of the property owner. When I installed the gas supply in this property when I did the rebuild, I had to purchase and collect the meter box from a local depot and install it in the wall.

If it was damage caused by the weather then your building insurance should cover it but the excess is probably prohibitive.

I don't know if the utility company can enforce a specific type of covering, if not then you could make a simple wooden covering that is sufficiently wind and waterproof.

SQL
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago

An easy job for a handyman. Or handywoman.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
2 months ago
I'm surprised the gas board don't do that free of charge.

Gas Board ?!.
lol, a nostalgic trip down memory lane. It's not the 70's

Not sure about the fitting of it, but the mob in the site below seem to have answers to the questions, the actual parts and guidance.
e.g. Who is responsible for replacing or repairing a meter box?

"If you are wondering who is responsible for your gas or electric meter box replacement, you’ve come to the right place. 40 years ago, gas and electric boards owned meter boxes and were responsible for the upkeep of them. Deregulation has changed that, and now it is not the responsibility of gas or energy companies to repair or replace your broken meter box it is in fact, your responsibility as the homeowner".

https://www.repairmymeterbox.com/blog/replacing-a-meter-box/
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
Better make our own then, everything around here seems to be made of marine ply and coated in yacht varnish.

Help with conversations