Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

UKRAINE. YOU ROCK!

Midsummer sends its support, admiration and love. xxx

On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
11 months ago
Leave any GOOD NEWS or uplifting comment here or just BUMP this post to send it back up the page.

Russian shills and apologists? We don’t care if you add your negative posts here because, each time you add such a comment, you keep this positive message of support to Ukraine high up the page and in our thoughts.

BUMP. :)
bella111
bella111 Female
11 months ago
The Ukranian people are doing brilliantly with their limited resources. If only someone could BUMP Putin off. In my small seaside resort our light are yellow and blue, so we support the Ukraine all the way.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 months ago
In solidarity with the Ukrainian people and all of the volunteers helping out, keep fighting the good fight! you are incredible!
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
11 months ago
https://razomforukraine.org/
Razom’s Emergency Response is the SOS button that is pressed in times of need. We created this project to provide urgent help and support in face of an extreme and unforeseen situation in Ukraine. Today, the sovereign nation of Ukraine has to deal with the most horrendous and catastrophic emergency – a brutal invasion. Razom is responding to this by providing critical medical supplies and amplifying the voices of Ukrainians.

https://voices.org.ua/en/
Charitable Foundation Voices of Children helps children affected by the war in eastern Ukraine. Thanks to you, we provide psychological and psychosocial support to children. It helps them overcome the consequences of armed conflict and develop.

I offer these website links (above) as examples of ways you might wish to contribute or support Ukraine although I invite you to use due diligence to vet or research them further yourself if you felt so inclined.

I am sure there are scores or hundreds more similar sites, (online and off), able to support your desire to help in some way.
Samx
Samx Male
11 months ago
It is commendable how much everybody is concerned and inclined to help. The Ukrainians have defended themselves very well and brought Putin to a pivotal position, where he either invoke WW3 or retreat. Let’s hope for the sake of all of us, it’s the latter!
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
11 months ago
yep all 6 posters in the arse of the world sent theyre love, lolol
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
11 months ago
Good news 28/02/2022

The Home Secretary has confirmed a further 100,000 Ukrainians will be able to seek sanctuary in Britain as a result of Russia's invasion.
Speaking to MPs on Monday Priti Patel said family members of British nationals who don't usually meet eligibility criteria will be allowed to stay for a year.

Those people will have to pass security checks but will have access to work and public services in Britain.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
11 months ago
Good news
The UK on Monday said it would freeze the assets of all Russian banks over the invasion of Ukraine, tightening the international economic stranglehold on Moscow over its "unjustified aggression".

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss said the UK wants "a situation where they (Russia) can't access their funds, their trade can't flow, their ships can't dock and their planes can't land".

More than 50 percent of Russian trade is denominated in dollars or sterling and the new powers "will damage Russia's ability to trade with the world", she told parliament.

At the same time, British Transport Secretary Grant Shapps ordered all UK seaports to turn away Russian vessels, having already barred Russian aircraft, including oligarch jets.

Britain last weekend joined the United States and Western allies in preventing the Russian central bank's ability to use reserves to support the plummeting ruble.

And it also cut selected banks from the SWIFT international money transfer system, which Truss said was only the first step in a "total SWIFT ban".

As Truss spoke in parliament, the Treasury announced asset freezes on Russia's state development bank VEB, and commercial lenders Otkritie and Sovcombank, with the rest of the freeze to come into effect "in days", Truss said.

The sanctions add to those announced last week on a series of Russian banks, businesses, billionaires, President Vladimir Putin himself and his Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

Three million businesses
The assets freeze on Russian banks will stop the Kremlin from raising debt in the UK and will prevent more than three million businesses from accessing UK capital markets, Truss said, also promising a ban on "high-end technological equipment such as micro-electronics, marine and navigation equipment".

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss said the UK was tightening the economic stranglehold over Russia because of its invasion of Ukraine
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss said the UK was tightening the economic stranglehold over Russia because of its invasion of Ukraine - PRU/AFP
"This will blunt Russia's military industrial capabilities and act as a drag on Russia's economy for years to come," she said.

UK broadcasting regulator Ofcom meanwhile said it had opened 15 new investigations into the "due impartiality" of state-funded Russian broadcaster RT since the invasion of Ukraine.

London (AFP)
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
11 months ago
I've just seen on the news Ukrainian men living here are buying up as much military surplus as they can and are going back to fight.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 months ago
I've just watched the latest United Nations emergency general assembly meeting, Very promising regarding voting against the veto and the Russian aggression, and attacks on Ukraine, and the breaking of international laws, .. some incredible speeches, particularly NZ and Canada, who also mentioned the anti war protesters and Ukrainian supporters in Russia, and acknowledged that they they were in full recognition and support of their efforts.

https://youtu.be/Z2WIVGl1qso
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 months ago
BUMP :P
Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
11 months ago
UKRAINE. YOU ROCK!
Midsummer sends its support, admiration and love. xxx

Who wouldn't want to see these brave people rid themselves of the Russian murderers.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
11 months ago
Good news
Yes, Hen. I heard English guys in their 50s and 60s saying they would go and help themselves; including one 55 yr old phone in listener saying he was available, for free, to drive any loaded lorry as far as Poland to help the cause. Amazing.

Hi Pix,

I'll check out your good news link in a minute. I don't think it is the same as the amazing one I watched last night.

Good news
U.N General Assembly video on YT; Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba is an absolute genius with his expert knowledge of U.N affairs, laws and what have you. He really nailed Russia for all its crimes and misdemeanours in a brilliant opening speech at the UN.

Here. (Below)

I don't expect you to view all of it but if you watch a couple of minutes at the beginning, you'll see just how wise and learned the Ukraine foreign minister really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC9rZn0nxo&t=908s
Kimjongun
Kimjongun Male
11 months ago
I find it amazing that people seem to know what is happening in the Ukraine?
We only know what we are told.
Hopefully it will resolve itself at some point soon.
eurostar
eurostar Female
11 months ago
It's amazing how calm the Ukraine citizens are stuck in train stations, British would be whinging about their fake tans and Internet, jeez
Lorries are starting to get to Poland with supplies of basics, I.ve just donated to one leaving Friday
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
11 months ago
"I find it amazing that people seem to know what is happening in the Ukraine?"

Hi Kimjongun :)

The fog of war, they call it, don't they?

In a country so vast, we'll never know the real state of play but the Ukrainian people and its troops have definitely, (so far), slowed down the Russian advance in half the areas being invaded.

Yes. Hopefully something will help end the conflict; maybe even due to a lack of supplies and fuel which is something currently hindering the invaders.

"I've just donated to one leaving Friday."

No. We're not very good at queuing, are we, Euro?

Good news to learn you've donated locally.

I tried that link I added at the beginning; the one for children but it didn't like my Paypal login although I'll try again later. Perhaps it was being over-run with lots of people using the site at once.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 months ago
There's plenty of internet sources where people in the Ukraine are posting live footage. Plenty of news sources too. However the internet moves more quickly than most news sources. The Institute of War update every day.

https://www.understandingwar.org/
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
11 months ago
Good news 28/02/2022
The Home Secretary has confirmed a further 100,000 Ukrainians will be able to seek sanctuary in Britain as a result of Russia's invasion.

Just for a bit of balance, it's worth remembering that less than half the population in Ukraine is fully vaccinated - around 15 million out of a total population of 43 million.
Most of those calling for us to shelter thousands of Ukrainian refugees appear to have forgotten how they wanted to treat ‘the unvaccinated’ just a few weeks ago.....
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
11 months ago
eurostar Female Merseyside
28-Feb-2022 19:23 new! Message #4872837
It's amazing how calm the Ukraine citizens are stuck in train stations, British would be whinging about their fake tans and Internet, jeez
Lorries are starting to get to Poland with supplies of basics, I.ve just donated to one leaving Friday

I have too eurostar. The Ukraine citizens have known some hard times.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
11 months ago
eurostar Female Merseyside
28-Feb-2022 19:23 new! Message #4872837

I have too eurostar. The Ukraine citizens have known some hard times.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 months ago
H: I thought you didn't believe the vaccines worked? I'm sure anyone who comes here will be tested and have the offer for a vaccine..

Did you see the baby born in the underground? I hope they can get food and water supplies down there..
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 months ago
I've just listened to that speech Strand its brilliant, I love both representatives for Ukraine at the UN meetings. If only they would have acted upon his pleas a little sooner!
Kimjongun
Kimjongun Male
11 months ago
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-02-26/we-are-resisting-ukrainian-mp-kira-rudik-says-will-fight-for-her-country

Now come on, I thought giving out a few thousand rifles was hard to believe.
I assume she knows something?
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
11 months ago
Pixiefluff Female the West Midlands
28-Feb-2022 21:13 new! Message #4872866
I've just listened to that speech Strand its brilliant, I love both representatives for Ukraine at the UN meetings. If only they would have acted upon his pleas a little sooner!

Absolutely.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
11 months ago
Pixiefluff Female the West Midlands
28-Feb-2022 21:13 new! Message #4872866

Absolutely.

Help with conversations