Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

dating apps

12345Next Last

capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
3 months ago
could they actually be spoiling your chances of finding love ?
with so much choice how do you know that you have found mr or mrs perfect ?
im sure most people have some idea of what they want from a partner but do we lower our standards just to get some contact with people ?
data found people now lower their standards when it comes to selecting a date. In fact, it's common for people to ignoring their "check list" when it comes to selecting a suitable partner online.

over to you lot, :)
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
3 months ago
I never lower my standards but it is so much easier now. Gone are those heady days when I turned up at the local dance on a Saturday night .. Tape measure in one hand and a set of scales in the other so I could check the lady was the right height and weight, and before asking her to dance I would give her a small questionnaire so I knew all about her without having to resort to conversation lol.
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
3 months ago
You can miss out on a lot with an app. Even the simplest criteria such as an age choice between 50 and 60 will reject those in their late 40's who might look older and be mature for their age and reject those in their 60s who might be young looking and young at heart. If you are looking for a relationship then you don't want too much of a shopping list.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
3 months ago
Apps are good for the scattergun approach.
Molly
Molly Female
3 months ago
It is certainly much easier to meet prospective dates using an app.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
If using an app you soon get into the habit of a taking a quick look at the photo and flicking left or right rather than having a smaller selection and looking more closely at profiles.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
3 months ago
I prefer to meet men in the traditional ways rather than online but as you grow older you tend to go to fewer places where single men are looking for dates. My last date was from midsummerseve.
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
3 months ago
Kiss and Tell???
the-omniscient-beeman
the-omniscient-beeman Male
3 months ago
I think that they have become popular with professional people who also are looking at the financial side of things because more people get divorced. Yes it may sound mercenary but one doesn't particularly want to fall into the gold digger trap. There's also those designed for the older generation who are less likely to go to places where they meet someone. Some of the big general ones are nothing short of a "meat market".

On facebook I'm a member of a singles group that is specifically for professional people only in my area. You can't join if you haven't got professional qualifications. It seems to filter out those who start in-fighting and deadlegs, and you are more on a level with people of like mind. It is not just for dating but also for nights out and other organised events.
the-omniscient-beeman
3 months ago
I've never had anyone twist what I say unlike on here.
JustKatie
JustKatie Female
3 months ago
the-omniscient-one I think your expertise lies in the life of bees and not on the lives of ordinary people dating.
the-omniscient-beeman
3 months ago
You are so predictable and fell for the net I cast 🤣
RoseyCheeks
RoseyCheeks Female
3 months ago
Mr (or Mrs) Perfect just doesn't exist. The sooner people realise that and just weigh up the pros and cons and realise a few flaws are par for the course the happier they'll be.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
3 months ago
damn right rosie,

i wouldnt want a perfect person, just the perfect person for me. :)
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
3 months ago
i actually forgot how beautiful some of the ladies here were till you turned up tonight :)
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
3 months ago
The ladies of mse have always been an impressive bunch in so many ways.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
I'm sure the ladies will be noting your comment MrQ LOLOL
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
3 months ago
And he still won't get a shag.....lolol
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
3 months ago
A shag! OMG suely nobody still wants one of those lol.
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
3 months ago
youd be suprised nero, lol

at lol at hiero,
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
3 months ago
I've always thought that too many take first dates far too seriously. It should be a flirty laugh or an enjoyable day out, good company or any number of things which are fun and enjoyable but it is just meeting someone you don't know for the first time so there's is no telling where it might, or might not, go.
I don't think it makes much difference if you meet from an app, a website or down the pub. I get a reasonable amount of free time and I enjoy meeting people, even blind dates when you haven't any idea what each other look like. Does it matter? Is an hour or so out of a lifetime such a big deal?
capnblackbeard
capnblackbeard Male
3 months ago
last time i had a blind date they wouldnt let the guide dog in, :)
Molly
Molly Female
3 months ago
Does it matter? Is an hour or so out of a lifetime such a big deal?

My sentiments also.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
I like blind dates. There is something mysterious and exciting turning up to meet a potential date with no idea what they look like.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
3 months ago
And he still won't get a shag.....lolol

I just spotted this lol. Perhaps .... perhaps not but it isn't the only thing worth pursuing. :)

12345Next Last

Help with conversations