Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Labour Reshuffle

Angela Rayner seemed in the dark

wonderoushen

wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
30-Nov-2021 10:49 Message #4849222
Angela Raynor was about to give a speech on standards in pulbic life, something I believe to be quite important and current given recent scandals when news of a reshuffle leaked out and she appeared to be completely unaware of it. I found this to be a snide, sneaky and disrespectful move by Starmer, to leave his deputy unaware of something of this magnitude when about to give an important speech. I don't disagree with some of the people he's put on the front bench, I think Yvette Cooper will give Priti Patel a run for her money and a stronger more experienced front bench is a good thing, but his trreatment of Raynor looks petty. I know he dosen't get to choose his deputy but they could at least make an attempt in public to present a united front, even if they don't get on in private, my opinion of Starmer was pretty low anyway, but after yesterday its tanked, not that I'm sure about Raynor either.
MrQuiet_aka_MrD

MrQuiet_aka_MrD  Male  Northamptonshire
30-Nov-2021 10:52 Message #4849223
Rayner is at the bottom of the heap in my opinion.
Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
30-Nov-2021 11:55 Message #4849232
Yes, Hen. I nearly uploaded a similar post.

To start with, I thought it was quite strange for Starmer to blindside Rayner in the way that he did, effectively neutralising her own quite legitimate and worthy aim of highlighting not just Tory sleaze but the whole 2nd / 3rd job thing.

But then I thought that, perhaps, being so swift and sneaky in reshuffling his team, he probably avoids giving anyone enough time to either upset the applecart with gossip or leaks prior and I'm guessing that is why he acted the way that he did.

However, yet again, he's turned a perfectly controllable political football into one where he manages to trip on the ball and see it roll right back into his own side's net.

Starmer has a perfected habit of being underwhelming at the most inopportune moments and always does so with flawless expertise.
Greencare

Greencare  Female  Berkshire
30-Nov-2021 13:21 Message #4849239
I don't mind Starmer although he doesn't have a political aptitude. Rayner epitomises everything wrong in politics. Back to the drawing board for Labour.
wonderoushen

30-Nov-2021 18:47 Message #4849324
I'm agnostic about Raynor, but she was elected by the Labour Party as deputy leader and as such I think Starmer should have had the courtesy and manners not to appear to go out of his way to blindside her when she was about to give an improtant speech. This is the sort of thing I would expect the government to do to the opposition, not for it to happen within a party thats just starting to get on even footing. To me this behaviour shows everything thats wrong with politics, along with there being no sanction on Geofrey Cox for using his public office for his private, outside buisness.
Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
30-Nov-2021 20:23 Message #4849335
I'm confused by the whole lack of morals thing across much of Parliament on either side of the House.

The fact that an MP or PM can just ignore questions, abandon promises they made in their manifestos and publicly practice the 'one rule for you and one rule for me' with impunity is not OK but we seem to tolerate such slack and disrespectful behaviour.

Starmer erred again but, fundamentally, he appears to be a decent human being and, 20 or 30 years ago, would probably have been able to charm an electorate quite easily but, today, with MPs required or inspired to be as dodgy as they can come, its all a bit disappointing.

I know there are good people in Parliament but how come, in UK politics, we only get sour cream rising to the top?
Wandering4fun

Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire
30-Nov-2021 22:50 Message #4849347
All parties are the rich and elite pulling the wool over the eyes of the public - also known as the morons. Done adn dusted.
fosy

fosy  Male  Leicestershire
30-Nov-2021 23:12 Message #4849348
yes bj, whatever you say.....
wonderoushen

1-Dec-2021 10:47 Message #4849394
I think we tolerate it as theres so little choice, we basically have a two party system, if we're lucky we get a hung parliament, a two party system encourages the worst sorts of behaviour, the sort we see so much of now. It also seems to bring out the worst in the electorate, with vociforous language and accusations on both sides, berating thers for "making the wrong choice" and then wondering why so many say "plague on both your houses" and don't bother to vote at all.

This government is not only living a 'one rule for you and one rule for me' thing, its trying to defang the supreme court to stop it challenging the government, leaving us at the mercy of random and draconian pieces of legislation as set out by a narcarcistic, spiteful and out of touch government. There is no mechanism to make the PM face the HoC and answer questions, the speaker should have the power to do so, but that requires the PM to actually be there and not make a Peppa Pig speech.
Greencare

Greencare  Female  Berkshire
1-Dec-2021 10:54 Message #4849396
All parties are the rich and elite pulling the wool over the eyes of the public - also known as the morons. Done adn dusted.

A lot of truth in that.

Help with conversations