Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Is it now time

to bring back hanging...

aayan1

aayan1  Male  Hampshire
29-Nov-2021 02:36 Message #4848959
A young girl is murdered by a 14 year old.. In the news.

By the time the murderer reaches the age of 40 they will probably be released from prison. Probably half that time for good behaviour in prison.

The tax payer will have payed thousands just to keep that person alive.

Once that person is released they will then have the joy of living life again,

Sadly for the person killed , and their families - death will be a lifetime permanent pain.

If capital punishment was on the cards - would it be so easy for people to remorsely kill.

or would they think twice about it ?
HotOrWot

HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
29-Nov-2021 07:21 Message #4848977
There are certainly many instances when I think hanging would be too good for the offender but although the case you mention is an awful one I know nothing about what happened yet. If I thought the threat of being hanged would make a difference I would be 100% in favour but I don't think it would.
Minnie-the-Minx

Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
29-Nov-2021 09:24 Message #4848993
It is never time. Any state that has capital punishment has lost its soul.
Pboro Trevor

Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
29-Nov-2021 09:32 Message #4848995
Not for those under 18, but those who kill emergency service workers - YES
wonderoushen

wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
29-Nov-2021 09:36 Message #4848996
Never, its state murder.
Hierophant

Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
29-Nov-2021 10:34 Message #4849004
Absolutely, let society as a whole take responsibility instead of expecting another criminal to punish the bad person "properly" in prison......
ToBeAdvised

ToBeAdvised  Male  Essex
29-Nov-2021 10:52 Message #4849006
If capital punishment was on the cards - would it be so easy for people to remorsely kill.
or would they think twice about it ?

They might think twice but it wouldn't stop them doing it.

Capital Punishment is a legal penalty in 27 States in the USA (although only 13 have actively carried out in the last 10 years).
It's doubtful it prevents homicides happening in those States.
Hierophant

Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
29-Nov-2021 11:14 Message #4849012
It's not really about prevention though is it?
It's about paying the correct price for your crime.....
capnblackbeard

capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire
29-Nov-2021 11:19 Message #4849014
its basically saving that murder is ok if the state commit it, a licence to kill if you like,

is every person who kills really beyond redemption?
Minnie-the-Minx

29-Nov-2021 13:18 Message #4849045
In answer to Hiero, it all depends on whether you believe that sentences for crime are intended to deter or punish.
capnblackbeard

29-Nov-2021 13:20 Message #4849046
or wether punishment should be revenge,
guess lots of people have given up on rehabilitation,
Minnie-the-Minx

29-Nov-2021 13:31 Message #4849048
Well in terms of revenge, uncharacteristically for me, I did experience some joy at the news that the toe rags who burgled my house got banged up for a few years. I disturbed them before they could take anything physically, but what they did rob me of was my peace of mind for quite some time. For over a year, I used to wake up at the same time every night, expecting to hear someone coming through the front door and even now, if I hear a noise outside in the night, I am shining my searchlight torch across the green outside to see if anyone is there. The shit bags justify their behaviour because they assume that you are insured, but insurance doesn't replace items of sentimental value, and short of setting up razor wire and a machine gun tower by the front and back gates, insurance doesn't restore the sense of security that you should be able to feel in your own home.
capnblackbeard

29-Nov-2021 13:41 Message #4849050
horrible feeling ,knowing someone has been in your house when you are out,
never mind when you are in,
Minnie-the-Minx

29-Nov-2021 13:46 Message #4849052
Especially as I was in bed at the time and could so easily have been asleep. Luckily, I was awake and heard them come through the front door. I thought it was next door's teen late back at fist, and then realised that I could hear them rummaging around downstairs and that it was someone in my house.

capnblackbeard

29-Nov-2021 13:48 Message #4849054
especially a woman alone, i think even i would have been worrried confronting people ,
you know its not jahovas at that time of night :)
Blackjack

Blackjack  Male  South Yorkshire
29-Nov-2021 15:48 Message #4849076
Well as the author is lamenting about Christmas on its lonesome - may this following post is a cry for help, suggesting the return of a public hanging as in Saudi Arabia where they behead dozens of people regularly for all the public to see.

But lets dig a bit deeper - did it actually start to think this all my itself - or has this idea been floating around in the public mind for a long time? Id he a closet swinger for instance?

We live in a victim culture, we are not interested in curing anti social behaviours as the mainstream media job it to throw us such bits of meat so the dogs will fight for the scraps - which I have to admit they have done a brilliant job so far on this conversational posting.

The superficial - distracts the mindless- who require entertaining of course - being led by the nose all without realising it - so will Mr lonesome be hanging around after Christmas?

The betting shop will open soon and to make it interesting it will not be a yes or no bet, with short odds - there is depression to be factored in - the value the chosen one puts on its life - and not forgetting the type of subjects its mind appears to be interested in over the last year - lets not forget the women are asking for it tit bit - so taking bets s could be taking money for old rope.....
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol

FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Nov-2021 15:51 Message #4849078
Minnie-the-Minx Female Hertfordshire
29-Nov-2021 13:31 new Message #4849048
Well in terms of revenge, uncharacteristically for me, I did experience some joy at the news that the toe rags who burgled my house got banged up for a few years. I disturbed them before they could take anything physically, but what they did rob me of was my peace of mind for quite some time. For over a year, I used to wake up at the same time every night, expecting to hear someone coming through the front door and even now, if I hear a noise outside in the night, I am shining my searchlight torch across the green outside to see if anyone is there. The shit bags justify their behaviour because they assume that you are insured, but insurance doesn't replace items of sentimental value, and short of setting up razor wire and a machine gun tower by the front and back gates, insurance doesn't restore the sense of security that you should be able to feel in your own home.

A very factual account and hopefully will awaken some to the horrors of having their home invaded.
Samx

Samx  Male  Suffolk
29-Nov-2021 18:39 Message #4849114
Murder is murder no matter who commits it and it’s a barbaric act. Murderers should be made to work hard in very nasty conditions, rather than have pool tables, three square meals a day and peace of mind.
wonderoushen

wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
29-Nov-2021 18:46 Message #4849119
I hardly think anyone in prison has peace of mind, they worry about thier families, about the violence, gangs and drugs, of course theres also the possibility or even likelihood of rape and sexual abuse.

What happens when theres a miscarriage of justice? Lets face it theres been plenty of those over the years and thats just the ones that make national media? You can't give people back the years robbed from them and you certainly can't get a life back.

I don't think capital punishment works, I don't think any of the countries where they have it have lower murder rates.
tsunamiwarrior

tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire
29-Nov-2021 18:46 Message #4849120
I agree Sam. As a civilised nation we should not be killing people for the crimes they commit.
capnblackbeard

29-Nov-2021 19:07 Message #4849127
i think we tried working hard in nasty conditions in the victorian times and it didnt work back then,
a lot of the prisons are still victorian institutions but hopefully society has become more civilised,
Samx

Samx  Male  Suffolk
30-Nov-2021 17:04 Message #4849289
Sorry Captain, but murder is not civilised and these b**rds should suffer the rest of their life, just as the victims relations have to. However, killing lowers an authority to the same level of barbarism.
MrQuiet_aka_MrD

MrQuiet_aka_MrD  Male  Northamptonshire
30-Nov-2021 18:27 Message #4849315
As a country we have moved on.

Help with conversations