Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

compliments?flattery

1 2 Next   Last  

capnblackbeard

capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire
28-Nov-2021 12:45 Message #4848818
inspired by another post ,
do women really not compliment? flatter other women?
i know a few women who will often pay another women a compliment even strangers ?
Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
28-Nov-2021 12:57 Message #4848823
Yep. Ex wife Jackie and I used to point out a particularly beautiful girl or handsome guy if they deserved that sort of a description; often to say something like, "Why don't you get some similar clothing" or "Why don't you style your hair like that".

Sometimes we'd just point out some stunning looking person.

From my male perspective, I certainly think it is a bit of a myth to believe that most women are either catty or bitchy with other women.
NoSaint

NoSaint  Female  Devon
28-Nov-2021 14:44 Message #4848830
I don't think many of us compliment others of the same gender. Females because we know we always look better than the opposition and males because it doesn't cross their minds.
eurostar

eurostar  Female  Merseyside
28-Nov-2021 15:41 Message #4848836
Not all females no saint
I compliment females quite often and I.m sure when at a party this weekend I will compliment both male and female who i haven't seen since Xmas 2019.
Any female who is that up herself is yuk
Luxuriating_Larry

Luxuriating_Larry  Male  Oxfordshire
28-Nov-2021 15:59 Message #4848837
If people are meeting who haven't seen each other since 2019 then I would be surprised if everyone wasn't greeted with a "You're looking good" or "You haven't aged a bit" With kids its "How you have grown"
It's what people say. lol
GeordieGirl

GeordieGirl  Female  Tyne and Wear
28-Nov-2021 16:29 Message #4848840
I often compliment other women. A genuinely meant compliment can really lift someone's spirits, especially if they are having a 'down' day.
wonderoushen

wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
28-Nov-2021 18:14 Message #4848855
I compliment other women, probably more than I do men, especially if I see a really good haircut, it professional interest and I always want to know where they had it done, in case my hairdresser leaves.
capnblackbeard

28-Nov-2021 18:20 Message #4848859
thats the way it should be ladies, a genuinely meant compliment,
its nice to be nice, :)

funny thing hen, my the friend the hairdresser is always saying to other women how nice they look
Minnie-the-Minx

Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
28-Nov-2021 18:49 Message #4848879
I didn't see that post, but I don't believe it is true. My experience is that women encourage and support each other, with a few individuals who are exceptions to that. I always show appreciation of others male or female, if the situation warrants it. Being kind to others costs nothing.
capnblackbeard

28-Nov-2021 19:08 Message #4848889
I didn't see that post, but I don't believe it is true

it is, i didnt dream it up, :)
MrQuiet_aka_MrD

MrQuiet_aka_MrD  Male  Northamptonshire
28-Nov-2021 21:16 Message #4848911
I assumed the thread was a bit tongue in cheek.
HotOrWot

HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
29-Nov-2021 07:06 Message #4848964
I have often complimented a woman on how she looks overall but on the very rare occasional I have been complimentary to a man it would have been about something he was wearing.
Sea

Sea  Female  Essex
29-Nov-2021 09:23 Message #4848991
Hi, of course woman compliment other woman, the same as complimenting men. If you like an outfit they are wearing etc. or viewing finished DIY prfoject, you would say how great it is regardless of sex. But this refers to a comment I made on the 'You think this crazy world' where I casullay mentioned a cashier in a shop, who I would not have given a second look, engrossed in my own little world but a mannish voice suddenly said, to you young lady that will be....' I then noticed dressed as a woman with a Sally name badge but very large hands etc. It occurred to me that no matter what plastic surgery etc. you have that your thoughts are likey to still be in man mode. When you are in the fifties to sixty age bracket you are hardly a young lady. And this person was equally in the fifties to sixty age bracket. It was kind of said in a flattery almost chat up line kind of way, with expressions to go with it. It is highly unlikey that a woman of 50 -60 ish would attempt to flatter another woman of similar age in this way. They would simply say the price without the flattery comments in front. But general comliments to friends and family about outfits, hair, redecorated rooms etc, then yes.
Minnie-the-Minx

29-Nov-2021 09:37 Message #4848998
Interesting how people read a similar situation differently. If someone called me young lady, I wouldn't term that as flattery. I would call it being patronised. I am comfortable in my own skin and I never think about my age or whether I am young or old. If I'm a bit crinkly around the edges, it's just signs of a good life well lived.
However, the same principle applies. Very few women would patronise another woman in that way. It's mostly a man's brain that would think that way, which kind of begs other interesting questions about why do they need to pull rank over other women when they are trying to pass themselves off as one.
I must say that if that person had said that to me, it would have made my ears prick up too, and it would probably have tickled me.

Minnie-the-Minx

29-Nov-2021 09:40 Message #4848999
Are you being pedantic, dear capn? Of course I didn't think you made it up. I didn't believe that what your post may be inferring was true.
capnblackbeard

29-Nov-2021 11:07 Message #4849008
just having a giggle minnie :)
NoSaint

NoSaint  Female  Devon
29-Nov-2021 12:00 Message #4849026
I was paid a compliment from a woman in a coffee shop this morning. It does give you a boost.
capnblackbeard

29-Nov-2021 12:04 Message #4849030
no need for another jab then,lol
Minnie-the-Minx

29-Nov-2021 13:12 Message #4849043
I know you are, ya little tinker!
capnblackbeard

29-Nov-2021 13:46 Message #4849053
lol
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol

FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Nov-2021 15:55 Message #4849081
lol.
HotOrWot

HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
30-Nov-2021 07:12 Message #4849176
A lot of compliments are paid out of politeness or habit.
Minnie-the-Minx

30-Nov-2021 09:54 Message #4849214
My compliments are always genuine.
wonderoushen

wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
30-Nov-2021 10:28 Message #4849217
Mine too, I think it shows when compliments aren't genuine and made out of habit.
Greencare

Greencare  Female  Berkshire
30-Nov-2021 13:28 Message #4849245
It can be obvious but I agree that a lot of compliments are habitual.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations