Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

No babies allowed.

1 2 Next   Last  

Hierophant

Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
24-Nov-2021 12:47 Message #4848126
Labour MP Stella Creasey has complained because she's been told she cannot take her baby into the commons with her.
She said she can't go on maternity leave because her constituents need her. The Speaker is now asking the Commons procedures committee to look again at the rules.
Should she be able to take her baby into the commons? Should it apply to all mothers/fathers with all jobs?
Let's not forget she, and all other MP's, spent weeks and weeks working from home during the pandemic so why shouldn't she take maternity leave?.....
AlbertBertieBond

AlbertBertieBond  Male  Buckinghamshire
24-Nov-2021 12:52 Message #4848127
No she shouldn't. She should show some responsibly for the decisions she has chosen in life. Taking a baby to work other than in exceptional circumstances is unfair on the baby and work colleagues and certainly doesn't lend itself to concentrating on the job.
Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
24-Nov-2021 13:06 Message #4848130
There is no such thing as maternity leave for a female MP.
Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
24-Nov-2021 13:13 Message #4848131
Sorry.

To clarify; MPs are "holders of office" rather than employees and, as such, they are ineligible for statutory employment rights such as maternity leave.

She's being quite honourable and correct in stating that it would be inappropriate for her constituents to have to do without their MP for 6 months AND she's pressing home the outdatedness of the archaic parliamentary laws by presenting it with a problem they, presumably ,will now have to address.

As the Evening Standard comments, "For centuries this was not a problem. There were simply no female MPs or, until 1918, voters."

Well there are now and Parliament should address the issue.
Andromeda

Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
24-Nov-2021 13:23 Message #4848132
Men could take babies to work too as long as breast feeding wasn't planned.
Greencare

Greencare  Female  Berkshire
24-Nov-2021 13:30 Message #4848133
Someone should have explained to her that indulging in sex may lead to pregnancy and both pregnancy and babies can affect your ability to work. I understand the argument as a matter of principle although I disagree with it but as someone said already it's not fair on the baby or work colleagues.
Hierophant

24-Nov-2021 13:41 Message #4848137
Strand you are indeed correct, but as I indicated earlier she could work from home.
And the commons has a creche....
Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
24-Nov-2021 14:26 Message #4848141
I heard her interview the other day.

I'm not feeling a need to defend the MP but regarding both your valid points, I'd add;

She made the comment that, as she was breast feeding, she had to have her baby boy with her most of the time.

That might explain why she felt unable to leave the baby with anyone else or at the creche.
-
She may well already work from home but I recall, (but only vaguely), that she stated she felt obliged to be in Parliament (on the occasion the incident became potentially controversial), because there was an important Commons vote that required her to be there in person that day.
BOYDEL

BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
24-Nov-2021 14:38 Message #4848142
She could "express" her breast milk to be "served up" at the/a creche though...
bella111

bella111  Female  Devon
24-Nov-2021 14:50 Message #4848143
I was about to say that, she could express many women do for their convenience, why cant she for her colleagues, also can you imagine Debates with screaming kids all around you not a good idea and it beyond me why people keep needing to prove a point so boring....
Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
24-Nov-2021 15:04 Message #4848144
Ah yes. Of course!

OK. I'll mention it to her the next time I see her in the lobby.
eurostar

eurostar  Female  Merseyside
24-Nov-2021 19:10 Message #4848171
I don't think she should take her child in, and there were alternatives as mentioned above,
If her work is more important to her and her finances are needed so much then bottle feed
MrQuiet_aka_MrD

MrQuiet_aka_MrD  Male  Northamptonshire
24-Nov-2021 22:14 Message #4848185
I'm all for it. I want to take my old gran to work with me. She can't be left alone and I feel responsible. I'm f course her dog Bowser would have to come too but he's no trouble.
HotOrWot

HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
25-Nov-2021 07:23 Message #4848212
LOLOL

NoSaint

NoSaint  Female  Devon
25-Nov-2021 09:40 Message #4848234
Maybe we will be a nation taking the complete family to work which was often the case hundreds of years ago.
ToBeAdvised

ToBeAdvised  Male  Essex
25-Nov-2021 09:46 Message #4848237
All that she's being told she can't do is take the baby into the actual chambers where voting and debate takes place.
Quite why she would want to do that anyway as most of the time, by it's nature it is a noisy environment hardly conducive for a baby.
There's no restriction been made on her taking the baby into Parliament and they even supply a creche there for those that need it.
So all she's doing is making a point, but making a fool of herself, because what she's really highlighting is that she thinks female Members of Parliamant are not like anyone else and therefore need special arrangements to do their work and worse still she's using a baby to prove the point.

Here's a solution if you can't do your job after having another child, then either don't make the life choice to have one or quit your job.
It's what people in almost every other type of job would have to do.
Hierophant

25-Nov-2021 10:06 Message #4848244
Look at my new baby everybody....
Neros1954

Neros1954  Male  Devon
25-Nov-2021 11:17 Message #4848255
When these incidents appear in the news we often end up discussing or even arguing about what the headlines say rather than what the complete incident was about.
Some clarity on TBA's post.
capnblackbeard

capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire
25-Nov-2021 11:55 Message #4848264
parliment is outdated and antiquated, time for a refit,
Minnie-the-Minx

Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
25-Nov-2021 11:58 Message #4848266
I get that babies aren't allowed in the chamber, but really, the pragmatists in me wonders if a screaming child would be even noticed with the dreadful childish behaviour you see in the commons. Chances are, the baby would be better behaved than the so-called adults.
capnblackbeard

25-Nov-2021 12:08 Message #4848267
hear hear,lol
Hierophant

25-Nov-2021 12:10 Message #4848269
I much prefer the commons to ring with the shouts of "hear hear" than the gentle whispers of "there there".....
capnblackbeard

25-Nov-2021 12:27 Message #4848270
lol
MrQuiet_aka_MrD

MrQuiet_aka_MrD  Male  Northamptonshire
25-Nov-2021 19:22 Message #4848299
I much prefer the commons to ring with the shouts of "hear hear" than the gentle whispers of "there there".....

very humorous lol
NeverSayNever

NeverSayNever  Female  Avon
25-Nov-2021 23:01 Message #4848322
I hope she doesn't get her own way. The country seems all too willing to bow and scrape to anyone with a loud enough voice.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations