Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

University photographer in hot water for suggesting ladies seek help.

Suggestion not welcomed by females stepping down from podium.

1 2 Next   Last  

Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
21-Nov-2021 18:50 Message #4847669
Apparently it is no longer cool to protect a female from traffic by walking beside her on the kerb / traffic side of the pavement and don’t dare open a door for a lady or invite her to enter or exit first.

Such patronising shows of maledom are now taboo in 21st century England.

Say “Cheese”

As far as I can make out, a polite university photographer pursuing a gig at Cambridge University simply suggested that there were a couple of gentlemen who were available to help some ladies step down from a podium after they had finished a photo shoot.

But now he’s getting crucified with sexism calls and there are phrases like ‘inferred female fragility’ being bandied about which, I’m guessing, is where the ‘patronising photographer’ quip fits in.

So what’s going on? And is it OK to indignantly call someone out (and possibly label them a sexist pest or similar), when all they were really doing was being polite, kind or considerate?

Or am I wrong and is the photographer a patronising sexist monster?
jpv

jpv  Male  North Yorkshire
21-Nov-2021 18:56 Message #4847670
Big discussion going on right now (21 Nov 18:54) on LBC about this.

The world has gone crazy.
Greencare

Greencare  Female  Berkshire
21-Nov-2021 19:04 Message #4847673
It's sounds to be more of a shoe issue than a gender issue.
eurostar

eurostar  Female  Merseyside
21-Nov-2021 19:07 Message #4847674
Totally agree greencare
The world's mad,
Manners are manners
Probably cause an argument if he'd said it for help with disabled, pram, trans in heels, etc and gawd help him if any had ocd and were offered an unstressed hand jeex
eurostar

eurostar  Female  Merseyside
21-Nov-2021 19:22 Message #4847676
Predictive text doh! Should be unsterilised hand
Hierophant

Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
21-Nov-2021 19:30 Message #4847678
I've realised over the last four years working in one, that schools and universities are full of people just looking to be offended about something....
Aely

Aely  Female  Hampshire
21-Nov-2021 19:59 Message #4847679
I would probably need help getting off a podium, what with a stiff hip joint and short legs. I have never had a problem with someone opening a door for me (or holding a sprung door open) either. Nor do I have a problem with opening/holding a door myself for anybody.
In my opinion their are a lot of bloody stupid females around these days.
fosy

fosy  Male  Leicestershire
21-Nov-2021 22:22 Message #4847694
"I've realised over the last four years working in one, that schools and universities are full of people just looking to be offended about something...."

what, like covid, jabs, masks etc....

;¬)
NoSaint

NoSaint  Female  Devon
21-Nov-2021 22:31 Message #4847698
Being offended has become an international game.
HotOrWot

HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
22-Nov-2021 07:01 Message #4847717
A few years ago I would probably have been a lot quicker to offer assistance to a lady. Not because they needed it but it was often the polite or gentlemanly thing to do. Some women have wanted to change this situation
Hierophant

22-Nov-2021 07:31 Message #4847725
"I've realised over the last four years working in one, that schools and universities are full of people just looking to be offended about something...."
what, like covid, jabs, masks etc....

Oh fosy trust me, I'm not offended by having my freedoms curtailed by an authoritarian government, offended doesn't even begin to cover it.
A feminist getting stroppy because a misogynist with white privilege offers his hand to help you down some steps, is totally different to being told "get this jab or lose your job"....

;¬)
Greencare

22-Nov-2021 07:35 Message #4847726
Aely Female Hampshire
21-Nov-2021 19:59 new Message #4847679
I would probably need help getting off a podium, what with a stiff hip joint and short legs. I have never had a problem with someone opening a door for me (or holding a sprung door open) either. Nor do I have a problem with opening/holding a door myself for anybody.

I think most of us have similar thoughts Aely. Some people can't open their mouths without having an agenda.
Greencare

22-Nov-2021 07:36 Message #4847727
Aely Female Hampshire
21-Nov-2021 19:59 new Message #4847679

I think most of us have similar thoughts Aely. Some people can't open their mouths without having an agenda.
Hierophant

22-Nov-2021 07:56 Message #4847729

You're comparing two very different generations - I would suggest most men on here would do what this man suggested and most women wouldn't be offended by it.
It's very different with the younger generation, they have it drummed into them that everybody is equal, nobody is weaker or stronger and therefore this sort of thing is unnecessary....

wonderoushen

wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-Nov-2021 10:13 Message #4847739
That includes some who want to "help".
MrQuiet_aka_MrD

MrQuiet_aka_MrD  Male  Northamptonshire
22-Nov-2021 10:29 Message #4847745
You're comparing two very different generations - I would suggest most men on here would do what this man suggested and most women wouldn't be offended by it.

Correct.
HotOrWot

23-Nov-2021 07:28 Message #4847914
The world's mad,
Manners are manners

I think most intelligent free thinking people recognise that.
Colonel_Blink

Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
30-Nov-2021 14:43 Message #4849262
He'd have been better off laying her on stage and peeing over her. That is acceptable behaviour apparently.
MrQuiet_aka_MrD

30-Nov-2021 18:20 Message #4849309
Then someone would be in hot water lol.
Andromeda

Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
30-Nov-2021 18:47 Message #4849325
Yuck!
HotOrWot

1-Dec-2021 07:22 Message #4849364
LOLOL
MrQuiet_aka_MrD

1-Dec-2021 08:42 Message #4849377
He'd have been better off laying her on stage and peeing over her. That is acceptable behaviour apparently.

Strange that offering a helping hand is found to be more offensive than peeing over someone. What a strange lot we are.
HotOrWot

6-Dec-2021 07:23 Message #4850271

Strange that offering a helping hand is found to be more offensive than peeing over someone. What a strange lot we are.

That is so true.
wonderoushen

wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
6-Dec-2021 10:11 Message #4850285
I don't find peeing over someone less offensive than being offered a hand, but as its an offer it should be able to be politely refused, but so often a polite refusal of an offer of help is seen as offensive.
Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
6-Dec-2021 10:35 Message #4850292
People need to get over themselves and just be respectful.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations