Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Mandatory vaccines for NHS staff are on the way from April 2022.

Is it a pertinent policy to introduce? And who will be in the cross-hair?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next   Last  

Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
10-Nov-2021 20:42 Message #4846159
Front of house personnel? Clinic and counter staff? Those on the front line? Doctors? Nurses? Consultants? Surgeons?

But what about hospital cleaners, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, contractors and all the human traffic that, by its nature, will put a myriad of workers in direct contact with a NHS patient or day visitor?

How can it work? And what happens if an estimated 75,000 NHS staff choose (or are forced) to hand in their notice? (70,000 being a figure I’ve seen quoted from several media sources over the last few days).

Protect our NHS?
NoSaint

NoSaint  Female  Devon
10-Nov-2021 20:45 Message #4846161
Yes it's quite right that the front line staff in the NHS should be vaccinated. Too many people not taking it seriously enough.
BOYDEL

BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
10-Nov-2021 21:00 Message #4846164
In same vein by midnight tonight - non vaxxed Care Home staff will be sacked.

TV interviews this evening seem to be largely playing down the issue as to whether Care Homes will need to close/reduce beds but the immediate future for the sector will be very interesting.

Bupa Care Home Surveys says the sector permanently loses 2/3rds of staff every 24 months - whilst one Care Home manager tonight said they have tried to recruit staff with not a single applicant in past 3 months.
eurostar

eurostar  Female  Merseyside
10-Nov-2021 21:01 Message #4846165
It's a tough one, most have been through the pandemic with no vaccine, caught it and survived it,
Would they still have to wear masks and alcohol gel hands? Most have stopped being as efficient in the hygiene dept now,
Is enough known about all the vaccines for all people to trust it?
Will covid still be here April 2022?
capnblackbeard

capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire
10-Nov-2021 21:05 Message #4846166
Too many people not taking it seriously enough.

more likely people are taking it seriuosly but dont know enough about the jab to go ahead with it,
Pylon2021

Pylon2021  Male  North Yorkshire
10-Nov-2021 22:09 Message #4846171
I would have thought that "Herd Immunity" would've kicked in by now.

The policy is a bit draconian and will cause even more division.
jpv

jpv  Male  North Yorkshire
11-Nov-2021 08:08 Message #4846184
I guess after what happened in care homes last year, it would have been unwise not to have taken preventative steps. You can imagine if the same happens this year, the first question news reporters and the opposition party would be asking.
HotOrWot

HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
11-Nov-2021 08:15 Message #4846185
It is a great shame that a few conspiracy theorists on social media have done so much harm in delaying the vaccination programme which can save so many lives.
Andromeda

Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
11-Nov-2021 08:44 Message #4846186
It's a caring profession so those employed in that sector should show they care.
Pboro Trevor

Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
11-Nov-2021 09:05 Message #4846190
I'm fully vaccinated and, no, I don't know what's in it - neither this vaccine, the ones I had as a child, nor in the Big Mac, or hot dogs, or other treatments…whether it's for cancer, AIDS, the one for polyarthritis, or vaccines for infants or children.

I also don't know what's in Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, or other meds, it just cures my headaches & my pains.

I don't know what's in the ink for tattoos, vaping, Botox and fillers, or every ingredient in my soap or shampoo or even deodorants. I don’t know the long term effect of mobile phone use or whether or not that restaurant I just ate at REALLY used clean foods and washed their hands.

In short ...
There's a lot of things I don't know and never will…
I just know one thing: life is short, very short, and I still want to do something other than just going to work every day or staying locked in my home. I still want to travel and hug people without fear and find a little feeling of life "before".
As a child and as an adult I've been vaccinated for mumps, measles, polio, chickenpox, and quite a few others; my parents and I trusted the science and never had to suffer through or transmit any of the said diseases and,
I'm vaccinated, not to please the government but:
* To not die from Covid-19.
* To NOT clutter a hospital bed if I get sick.
* To hug my loved ones
* To Not have to do PCR or antigenic tests to go to a restaurant, go on holidays and many more things to come ...
* To live my life.
* To see and hug my family and friends
* For Covid-19 to be an old memory.
* To protect us.
Hierophant

Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
11-Nov-2021 10:17 Message #4846192
Aww do you remember at the height of the pandemic when we trotted outside on a Thursday evening to clap and bash pots and pans together? The tears flowed as we celebrated their vital work.
We actually called these people heroes, fighting on the front line while we hid indoors in relative safety.
Now these same people are selfish and classed as a danger to those they are treating and caring for. But they're not dangerous enough to be removed immediately, instead we will let them carry on through the winter and throw them on the rubbish heap in four months time.
People on here and elsewhere think this is rational, logical and moral, they actually support it.
Still we're not alone, in New York, firefighters who were the absolute heroes of 9/11 are now being sacked because they don't want the vaccine.
Dopey Boris Johnson has told us the vaccine doesn't stop you getting covid and doesn't stop you passing it on, but people still believe people should lose their jobs over it.
The irony of carers being sacked on remembrance day is not lost on me either.

I had a quick scan through the threads, I notice people are mostly in favour of others having the choice to end their lives, how ironic. Giving people choice over their own lives. Killing yourself doesn't just affect you, it affects many people around you. But that's okay you should have the right.

Of course most are not affected by this decision, but how long before they're coming after you?
How long before your state pension, incapacity benefit, housing benefit or some other vital source is paid on the basis of your vaccination status?
"Oh but I'm double-jabbed" you say, "I've had my booster so I'll be alright". That may be true now, but what will you do when you can't get jab number 4, or 5 or 6 because the doctors are busy and the benefit won't pay out as you're not fully vaccinated?

Sounds incredible doesn't it, like some wild conspiracy theory?
But then I never thought we'd be sacking "vital" medical staff in the middle of a pandemic........LOLOL.....
JustKatie

JustKatie  Female  West Sussex
11-Nov-2021 10:24 Message #4846193
I work in a hospital and most of us are fully vaccinated which is good. We are vaccinated to protect ourselves and to protect our patients who are often very vulnerable. There are a few who have been put off by rants on social media but hopefully they will see sense before the deadline. I think Trevor's posts is as good as anything I have seen.
Andromeda

11-Nov-2021 10:26 Message #4846194
I don't see or understand any similarities between having the vaccination to protect ourselves and others and voluntary euthanasia of ourselves if we are in severe pain and reaching the end of our lives.
Hierophant

11-Nov-2021 10:36 Message #4846195
Of course you don't, I never expected you to....

Strand

Strand  Male  Dorset
11-Nov-2021 10:43 Message #4846196
Some interesting points of view from both sides of the argument including a fascinating brace of posts from Pboro Trevor and Hierophant respectively, expressing very passionate but opposing outlooks. (With both marked excellent accordingly).
Andromeda

11-Nov-2021 10:54 Message #4846200
Some interesting points of view from both sides of the argument including a fascinating brace of posts from Pboro Trevor and Hierophant respectively, expressing very passionate but opposing outlooks. (With both marked excellent accordingly).

It's good to see posts which explain how the posters feels without adding a lot of nonsense and rhetoric.
Hierophant

11-Nov-2021 10:59 Message #4846202
"I don't see or understand any similarities between having the vaccination to protect ourselves and others and voluntary euthanasia of ourselves if we are in severe pain and reaching the end of our lives."

Okay Andromeda, what should we do about Ethel who is in a care home, she's 97 and bedridden, but of sound mind, she refuses the vaccine because she says she's too old and would rather be dead?
Do we force her or respect her wishes?
What about her carers who you imply are at risk?....
wonderoushen

wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
11-Nov-2021 11:02 Message #4846203
I admit to feeling conflicted about it, people shouldn't be forced to have any medical procedure against their will, including vaccinations, but I think that anyone in a medical or caring role has a moral duty to have vaccinations to keep themselves and thier patients safe. A previous poster is right, what happens if we have another wave centred in care homes and hospital settings with the most vulnerable having the highest death rate. We know that people can still get covid when vaccinated, we know that the elderly those who are sick or recovering from other illnesses, accidents or surgery that our general immunity goes down, an unvaccinated person is a much higher risk to those groups than a vaccinated one.

How would I feel about being cared for by an unvaccinated person if I was very ill? Honestly I'd be worried, especially if I was having surgery or treatments such as chemo that wipe out a persons immune system.

I also wonder at the health care staff who arn't vaccinated why arn't they vaccinated? Are they recommending treatments to us that they'd never have themselves, do they think themselves bullet proof, what?
Luxuriating_Larry

Luxuriating_Larry  Male  Oxfordshire
11-Nov-2021 11:07 Message #4846204
...but I think that anyone in a medical or caring role has a moral duty to have vaccinations to keep themselves and thier patients safe.

I agree. Almost everyone in the medical profession agrees. I think a lot of the small minority not agreeing to be vaccinated will see the sense in doing so. I hope that is the case.
BOYDEL

BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
11-Nov-2021 12:58 Message #4846222
Impliedly as of today - Govt is effectively saying that Hospital patients are not at risk until April 2022 - but only those in Care Homes....

One has to wonder how many family members will be getting a call from their elderly relative's Care Home manager to ask them to make "other arrangements" to look after said resident?
SQL

SQL  Male  Devon
11-Nov-2021 13:04 Message #4846223
This is not a new scenario despite what some would say.

Imagine a surgeon who refuses to wash his hands or wear a facemask before performing a major operation. Should he be told to comply with the requirements or leave?

Vaccinations have been in use for many decades, most vaccines are known to have side-effects. Some of these may have serious effects on a minute portion of the population. The fact that one or two people may suffer serious effects is judged to be regrettable but acceptable when thousands or maybe millions are protected from a severe, possibly fatal disease.

SQL
Samx

Samx  Male  Suffolk
11-Nov-2021 13:38 Message #4846226
Much is said about the forced vaccination. Nobody however, has seen the implication of it. We are desperately short of carers, nurses and other auxiliaries to look after the vulnerable, elderly and ill. As a consequence, we have forced out and will impede the recruitment of relevant staff. Hospital beds, residential homes and similar institutions will close, creating an impossible situation. The remaining places will be exorbitantly highly priced.
So instead of being killed by Covid, these people perish from cold, undernourishment and neglect.
BOYDEL

BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
11-Nov-2021 14:27 Message #4846228
In the short term - staff shortages in Care sector will be somewhat alleviated by fully vaccinated staff doing extra shifts - but only until such time as that leads to burnout.

Logically we could only expect Care staff to do more hours if they get paid a decent rate for those extra hours.

In many cases Care staff will be in low income households and in receipt of top up welfare benefits such as Tax Credits/HB etc.

In those households even with the new lower UC taper of 55% - it means that above the tax threshold those workers keep only 45% of the net of Tax/NI portion of 68% of gross extra pay - so they face an effective marginal tax rate of 69.4%.

In practice with gross pay rates around £9 to £10 an hour - affected Care staff may net little more than £3 an hour for working extra shifts - and maybe less if facing higher commute/child minding costs.
MrQuiet_aka_MrD

MrQuiet_aka_MrD  Male  Northamptonshire
11-Nov-2021 14:46 Message #4846229
SQL Male Devon
11-Nov-2021 13:04 new Message #4846223
This is not a new scenario despite what some would say.

Imagine a surgeon who refuses to wash his hands or wear a facemask before performing a major operation. Should he be told to comply with the requirements or leave?

Vaccinations have been in use for many decades, most vaccines are known to have side-effects. Some of these may have serious effects on a minute portion of the population. The fact that one or two people may suffer serious effects is judged to be regrettable but acceptable when thousands or maybe millions are protected from a severe, possibly fatal disease.

SQL

Although that makes sense to the many millions of thinkers in the world there are still those who trust Doris and Bob off Facebook for their professional advice.
wonderoushen

wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
11-Nov-2021 19:06 Message #4846257
Thats part of the conflicted feelings Samx, I don't think anyone had forgotten.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next   Last  

Help with conversations