Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

AMAZON ECHO DOT

A question for anyone that has one

ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
one year ago
Amazon have a sale on and I've thought about getting a smart speaker for a while and their Echo Dot's are now cheap enough to consider trying one out.
So a question for anyone that has had a 3rd generation and upgraded to a 4th generation.
Other than the change in shape from "puck"-upward facing speaker" to a "golf ball"-forward facing speaker" is there any difference in how they sound, and is it worth paying more for the new model.
They're both reduced by £18-£20 and differ in price by about £8.
I don't have Amazon Prime so don't have the Amazon Music library but I've found out they can be linked to Spotify & Deezer free music streaming services which I have on my computer so can use it play from those.
jpv
jpv Male
one year ago
I have an Amazon Echo Dot (3rd gen) which I bought some 18 months ago. I haven't upgraded to 4th gen.
I also have Amazon Prime.

I haven't used the speaker for well over a year now. There is also the issue of what it listens to and records.

The speaker is really small. If you have Amazon Prime, then it is worth considering, otherwise, I would say don't bother.

If you are looking for a device to control your lights, heating system etc, then first review other gadgets.

If it is only for music, I would say ook for a nice Bluetooth speaker, like Bose, Marshall, Sony etc.
Samx
Samx Male
one year ago
My son, a computer security expert warned me, to stay well clear of these devices. Apparently they can listening to your conversations and relate to unknown people. Sam will say this is paranoid thinking. I just don’t want to take the chance.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
one year ago
That applies to all the Amazon devices though and it depends how security conscious you want to be.
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
one year ago
If you have security concerns then best steer clear of the internet altogether. All the home devices such as Computer, laptop, ipad, smart phones, Alexa, Echo, Google Home Mini, CCTV, Baby alarms, Smart tvs, the list is endless and some of the best security experts in the country still get caught out at times.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
one year ago
If you know how to use vpn and secure systems properly the internet is a lot more secure. Why do you think companies requiring high security use it? I know of a number of people who work from home that work in top secret R&D. The problem comes because most people don't use it properly and only use it to surf the surface web. As far as other people are concerned I'm not accessing the internet from the UK. If you run a dns leak test it will tell you where they think you are. I'm currently in Paris. I'll be in a different country next time I log in.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
one year ago
Apple are well know for having high tech secure systems. It's one of their primary selling points because it's designed into their silicon and high end encryption and data protection.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
one year ago
The thing is brisinger, you know that much about security but probably 90% or more of internet users have very little knowledge and will always be vulnerable.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
one year ago
Thanks for the varied input.

I do like to have a go at using different tech just so that I know what's what and how things work & £22-£30 isn't that much to pay as a way in. So will probably dip my toe in.
I'm definitely not interested in "smart" adapting the house though, so it wouldn't be used for that.
And I already have a pretty good Cambridge Audio soundbase (which can be bluetoothed to devices) for the TV.

It does make me laugh though that people focus on being concerned about what they've heard about the speaker supposedly listening in to conversations.
When at the same time they quite readily post their and their family's lives on open Facebook, Instagram & other social media site profiles and have their location active for use on all their phone Apps.
Duh!
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
one year ago
I do think it's far fetched to compare using non-connected devices such as baby monitors and bluetooth to connected devices that use the internet such as echo dot. I think the likes of Facebook is positively alarming on what people are prepared to post on it, in particular photographs of their children. One thing I've always felt uneasy about on this site is lack of security (you can see things without logging in) and would prefer to have a non-photo profile.
Anyway this is going off topic for the OP...
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
one year ago
CCTV and alarms are used by hackers and scammers to obtain passwords. There is a bit in Which magazine which would make the most carefree user take note.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
one year ago
Pssssst........ trust nothing and nobody.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
one year ago
I did opt to treat myself to the Generation 4 Echo Dot, as wanted the latest model & rather pleased I did.
I think it was well worth it especially with a £20 saving factored in. It looks good and sounds good too and I'm surprised how far away you can be for Alexa to "hear" you.
Decided to get it set up yesterday and despite a few technical issues with the tablet I was using to link it up to my wifi via the Alexa App (all good problem solving practice), it was a pretty simple process.
Don't have access to the Amazon Unlimited subscription music service, but there's plenty of music available on there for free.
What I did find out was that you could link Spotify & Deezer free music streaming services and they would be recognised by the Echo. The music collections available on both of those looks extensive so set up new accounts on them, linked those accounts to the Echo, so now I can ask Alexa to automatically play music from those streaming services too. All very clever stuff.
Also you can create personal Playlists which can then be played through the Echo so that should keep me busy during the long winter months.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
one year ago
If you have the knowhow a lot of modern technology is very adaptable.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
one year ago
Having the knowhow is the thing though, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has none.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
one year ago
You're right there wonderoushen.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
one year ago
Having the knowhow is the thing though, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has none.

I think a lot of people haven't got a clue but don't want to admit it LOLOL
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
one year ago
You're right there HoW, they always seem to be the ones who try and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Like Manthing and the smart phone he ordered and tried to make me use, I couldn't work out how to answer a call and nor could he,but its me thats stupid
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
one year ago
When it comes to tech if someone knows more than you do it always seems they know an awful lot.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
one year ago
You need the Amazon Dot Dot Dot, Dash Dash Dash, Dot Dot Dot.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
one year ago
Very clever LOLOL

Help with conversations