Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Laying a

patio

wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
one year ago
Mummyhen and I have decided to replace and extend the existing patio, its quite high from the back door to the garden and needs a couple of level changes, so far so good, Manthing has said he will build it and this is where the problems start, he's insisting that he can use pallets as a base and lay new slabs on top of the existing ones, I say thats not how to do it, Mummyhen agrees.

This is going to cost a bit of money and we want it done right, will Manthings idea really work on a high traffic area? Will the old paving slabs under the new ones not get slippery and we could end up surfing own the garden on a paving slab?
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
one year ago
Lol sorry, but wooden pallets with concrete paving slabs on top? lol
You need to dig up the old slabs, dig out to the levels you want and create a nice firm solid base using something like type 1 sub base.
Then you can lay the new slabs on that using mortar to make sure they are level and sitting nicely.
The base is everything and if you skimp on preparation you will be paying for it forever with wobbly slabs, puddles of water and trip hazards....
jpv
jpv Male
one year ago
As Hierophant pointed out, you will need to create a good base to start with.

Using pallets is not a good idea. Between the wood planks, they normally use chipboard blocks or MDF. This will get wet and over time it will all break up.

When it comes to level changes, I assume you mean you need to create steps?

The cheapest long-lasting option is to buy slabs (like the ones you would be using) and bed them on top of each other with mortar, (5 sharp sand + 1 cement) so they are level and don't move over time.

If you want it really attractive you can do brickwork and fill the hollow gaps with concrete mix.

(you can buy ready mixed mortar and concrete - just need to add water), or get loose bags from a building merchant and mix by hand (which is what I do).
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
one year ago
Thats what I said, I think Manthing has been watching some video on you-tube aimed at people who's heads button up at the back. I've laid patio's before and have always used a solid base of hardcore and cement, I know its a lot of hard work, but I'd rather have it done right than waste time and money.

Thanks for confirming what I thought guys.
Pylon2021
Pylon2021 Male
one year ago
Or, apply to be on a show like "Garden Rescue".

They will come and do the work, but you have to pay for the materials. You'll get your name in lights plus get your 1/2 hour of fame.

Alternatively follow advice given by my "Learned" friends above. ( the "e" should have an apostrophe above).
Pylon2021
Pylon2021 Male
one year ago
ROFL @aimed at people who's heads button up at the back.

Very good description of some on this planet! :-))
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
one year ago
I'd quite like to watch him nail the slabs to the pallets....
fosy
fosy Male
one year ago
a lot will depend on the size of the body and whether rigor mortis has set in.....
Samx
Samx Male
one year ago
Mummyhen?
Manthing? How disrespectful!! How about Manhen? LOL

A long time ago, I replaced the square slab patio with interlocking bricks on a sand base with a sturdy concrete surround, a passage to the garage, and sitting area and pond further away. At the same time I created a parking area in front of the house using the same method but crazy paved. To use wood of any kind as base is futile, because it will rot away in no time. I have heard that some people have used old railway sleeper as decking. These have weathered for a long time and are therefore suitable, but, again not as a base.

Good luck with your project, and I hope you will achieve a pleasant garden.
Pylon2021
Pylon2021 Male
one year ago
a lot will depend on the size of the body and whether rigor mortis has set in.

That has reminded me of another way to get the patio done. Phone the police and say that Fred West once lived at your house.

The police send the "Heavy Mob" around and the work is then done for nothing. lol
Samx
Samx Male
one year ago
Pylon, since when does the police, or in your words “heavy mob“ lay patios? If I’m right they lift them don’t set them! Just wonder from which planet you are from? LOL
Pylon2021
Pylon2021 Male
one year ago
Samx, I do wonder sometimes what planet you are from.

It was a jocular reply to what has already been posted. Lighten up, sunshine! ffs
Samx
Samx Male
one year ago
I’m an alien from the planet Zog in the constellation Lyra. With YOUR intelligence and knowledge I expected you to know this already!
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
one year ago
At the risk of stating the obvious - anyone considering a DIY patio installation when in late middle age needs a medical check before getting involved in shifting potentially tens of tons of materials.

Unless the whole of the proposed patio area is only a handful of sq metres...

BTW - middle age starts officially at 35...
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
one year ago
Pallets are a bad idea. They are not designed or suitable to be laid outdoors under paving slabs and will very soon collapse.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
one year ago
Yes Boydel, you are stating the obvious!

The proposed patio is not that big and could be done in sections, having laid patio's before I know the level of work involved.
Greencare
Greencare Female
one year ago
Most projects need careful preparation which is nearly always the most important part even though it isn't going to show later.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
one year ago
Well Pylon I guess we have an example of someone who's head does up at the back in Samx seeing as he's an alien from the planet Zog, one can only assume he's wearing a human suit!
Gentleveggie
Gentleveggie Male
one year ago
Hi Wonderoushen, I found an absolutely terrific website for advice on this exact topic, whilst I was researching for precisely this thing. Pavingexpert.com - Probably the most genuinely useful website I have ever read ! If it was a beer, it would start with Carls and end with an empty glass... Rhymes with "Schmarlsberg". (Apologies if I am not permitted to mention that here - just trying to save many hours of frustrated searching for a fellow user !) Hope that it helps :-)
Gentleveggie
Gentleveggie Male
one year ago
Hi Wonderoushen, I found an absolutely terrific website for advice on this exact topic, whilst I was researching for precisely this thing. Pavingexpert.com - Probably the most genuinely useful website I have ever read ! If it was a beer, it would start with Carls and end with an empty glass... Rhymes with "Schmarlsberg". (Apologies if I am not permitted to mention that here - just trying to save many hours of frustrated searching for a fellow user !) Hope that it helps :-)
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
one year ago
We're grateful for any help on here lol.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
one year ago
As Manthing had a total sh1tfit when I said no to using pallets as a base and I'd rather leave it as it is than spend a load of money and have it done badly, we're not having a new patio. For some reason he thinks its going to be purely decorative and nobodies going to stand on it let alone sit on it or put pots and things on it and I'm the one being stupid apparently!
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
one year ago
As you are spending a load of money anyway, why not get a man in to do the bits you can't ? It's not really up to Manthing is it as I though you both moved into Mummy hen's house ?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
one year ago
Its not up to Manthing, but he can and does make things difficult. Its really hard to get hold of any tradespeople right now theres the seasonal rush, opening up after covid, clearing up after all the lockdown DIY disasters and theres just not enough of them. Nobody needs a Manthing wuthering about the place, getting in peoples way and telling people we want something different to what we asked for.

I won't be going on telly, I've got most of the garden how I want it and I don't want people redesigning it and I think its to small a project for telly.
Pylon2021
Pylon2021 Male
one year ago
I won't be going on telly, I've got most of the garden how I want it and I don't want people redesigning it and I think its to small a project for telly.

And here's me thinking I'll watch "Garden Rescue" in the future to see Charlie Dimmock re-arrange the w'hens patio and beds.

Awaiting the incoming for this post! ;-)

Help with conversations