Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Have Any of You Noticed?

Mens Fashion

Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
13-Jan-2021 19:13 Message #4803377
Hi Folks!

Something I've noticed a lot this season, and it's puzzling....

It was -11 the other night and I had to break out my jacket at work, I do well in the cold. I usually just have my polo and hi viz vest on at work, it does me.

For the last few months I've seen so many guys wearing shorts.... Nothing wrong with that. However when they are wearing shorts, a big jacket, wooly hat, gloves and a scarf.... it looks bloody stupid!

One of the guys I work with, and he isn't a very friendly/jokey kind of person, so you can't ask him.... If you were people watching, and you were asked to explain his dress sense, you'd probably guess that he was wearing shorts or a kilt once in summer, and a woman gave him a compliment on his legs, and it went to his head. So he ran home and flung out all his trousers!

Have any of you noticed this?

Dressed like they are going on a arctic expedition.... apart from the shorts!

Do any of our gentlemen partake in such activities?

Thanks for reading!
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
13-Jan-2021 19:25 Message #4803379
. I think it is to keep the netherparts cool. with all this social distancing it may be nessesary....

leogirl.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
13-Jan-2021 22:48 Message #4803396
Postmen round here, also seem to wear shorts all year round whatever the weather!

I reckon they are just keeping in touch with their 'girlie side' lol.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
14-Jan-2021 07:27 Message #4803402
Most men I see wearing shorts are a bit on the chunky side.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
14-Jan-2021 09:32 Message #4803411
Fashion goes round in circles - bring back flares and bell bottoms

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
14-Jan-2021 10:30 Message #4803429
Manthing and I have noticed and commented on it over the last few weeks, I wondered if we did little boys a diservice by making them wear long trousers, instead of shorts? Yes I know that was a bit flippant, but we're as mystified as you.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
14-Jan-2021 16:13 Message #4803475
A mystery but I suspect postman are behind it somehow.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
14-Jan-2021 23:11 Message #4803525
Shorts are for Boy Scouts and Australians.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
15-Jan-2021 09:47 Message #4803555
Last night whilst walking the dog round the block, best part of 10 mins.... two guys on separate occasions.... wearing shorts!

Snow/sleet on the ground turning to ice, both of them in hats, and big jackets!

WTF?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
15-Jan-2021 10:44 Message #4803556
It's not just men, it's just general sloppiness that is probably fine, just me old-fashioned, but then I'm not so even I'm confused.

It started with when my boys were at school and they went from to a uniform where they had to wear a tie under a round neck track suit top.

The day Dominic Cummins left No 10, he was accompanied by a woman in a smart tailored coat, but she was wearing a bob hat. I thought it was just me, but even my partner, who is happy to wear his socks over his trousers (when in his walking boots), you know, the socks in sandals type, even he noticed ... lol.

I also noticed the excessive men in shorts during winter, but we also seem to have a lot still with bare arms when it's freezing. Maybe it's a step beyond "It's not cool to be seen in coat" type.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
15-Jan-2021 11:48 Message #4803567
The other thing I've noticed about mens fashion at least in more formal wear are shirt collars, there seem to be so few collar styles available in a garment where collar style can be one of the few distinctive features.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
15-Jan-2021 12:08 Message #4803572
I also noticed the excessive men in shorts during winter, but we also seem to have a lot still with bare arms when it's freezing.

I was about to mention that when I noticed you beat me to it. I think a lot of younger men feel a bit heroic if they can pretend they don't feel the cold. LOLOL.

Help with conversations