Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Where Boris go?

On bike.

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
11-Jan-2021 20:32 Message #4803084
Why Hancock poop himself, when asked about Boris and bike?
Where he go, what he do?
What you think?
Male
Blackjack  Male  South Yorkshire
11-Jan-2021 20:34 Message #4803086
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson was spotted cycling more than seven miles away from Downing Street, despite Covid-19 rules restricting people to their local area.

Johnson was seen cycling around London’s Olympic Park on Sunday afternoon along with his security detail. The prime minister and his bodyguards would have had to traverse across a swath of the British capital to get from his home in the city center to the park in east London’s Stratford area.

The jaunt appears to have contravened the advice from Johnson’s own government, which says exercise should be limited to once a day and “you should not travel outside your local area.”

The Evening Standard reported that Johnson told a cabinet meeting on Sunday evening that he was concerned by how many people he saw in the park during his recreational ride.

“He was concerned about if people were following the rules and was concerned after his cycle ride around the park,” a source told the newspaper. The Standard didn’t mention whether Johnson’s concern stretched to include his own actions.
The news unleashed a fresh wave of outrage at the UK leader when it broke on Monday afternoon. Many took to social media to vent their spleen that different rules seem to apply to those in power in the UK.

“Once again it is ‘do as I say, not as I do’ from the Prime Minister. London has some of the highest infection rates in the country. Boris Johnson should be leading by example,” Andy Slaughter, Labour MP for Hammersmith, said.
Numerous people noted that there are green spaces closer to Johnson’s home in Westminster where he could have exercised.

Lets not forget Johnson’s former adviser Dominic Cummings, during the first wave of the pandemic, when he travelled across locked-down Britain to go to a house belonging to his parents and later made another 30-mile journey, which he claimed was for the purposes of testing his eyesight.

Johnson’s lockdown-infringing cycle has prompted criticism from across the political spectrum. Broadcaster Julia Hartley-Brewer, who regularly draws the ire of the woke brigade, blasted the PM, saying: “It's almost like the people making the rules (or demanding them) don't think the rules apply to them, isn't it?”

So lets get it straight some are too big for the Law to apply.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
11-Jan-2021 20:37 Message #4803087
I think fair do's to the bloke, he's excercising. Until the distances for excercise are clarified, and so long as he didn't go from one tier to another what's the problem? I think it's just the proverbial s**t stirring.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
11-Jan-2021 20:43 Message #4803090
Spotted cycling? spotted by whom? I remember Hancock specificially mentioning cyclying permitted in his address this evening, thinking that's an odd thing. Agree with Terry. S* stirring is the most popular pass time of this century.
Male
Blackjack  Male  South Yorkshire
11-Jan-2021 20:44 Message #4803092
Derbyshire police and the region’s crime commissioner have apologised to two women who were fined £200 each for driving five miles to go for a walk while England is in a national lockdown.

Jessica Allen and her friend Eliza Moore were fined by police after they each travelled separately from their Leicestershire homes to meet for a quiet walk five miles away in neighbouring Derbyshire last week. They later said they’d been “surrounded” by police officers who handed them fines and told them the peppermint teas they were carrying were classed as an unlawful picnic.

The fines imposed on the pair have also now been removed, according to their local MP, Tory politician Andrew Bridgen.

The police apology and the removal of the fine came on the same day that UK Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi appeared on UK morning news shows to urge the public to act as if they have the virus, warning that lockdown rules are “not boundaries to be pushed,” as cases continue to surge and hospitals are set to be overwhelmed.

One of the walkers, Jessica Allen, told the BBC that “there were loads of police” in the area and that she “thought someone had been murdered” due to the heavy presence. “The next thing, my car is surrounded. I got out of my car thinking ‘There’s no way they’re coming to speak to us.’ Straight away they start questioning us,” she recalled. “One of them started reading my rights and I was looking at my friend thinking ‘This must be a joke’.”

Since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, Derbyshire Police have repeatedly been scrutinized for their extreme crackdowns on those perceived to be breaking coronavirus regulations.

The police department has used drones to publicly shame alleged offenders taking walks in outdoor areas, and in March, they even spoiled the famously beautiful Buxton Blue Lagoon with black dye in an effort to deter people from visiting.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
11-Jan-2021 20:50 Message #4803093
Still, look on the bright side, at least this pandemic is bringing people together and encouraging us to look out for each other.
Trouble is, "looking out" means spying and recording it on our smart phone.
The Govt, NHS and Police have actively encouraged this atmosphere of fear and suspicion and it's getting worse.
You reap what you sow.....
Female
11-Jan-2021 20:55 Message #4803095
Does that mean we can drive 5 miles to meet a friend for a walk. Since that's what I'm doing this week. Must be yes, friend wants to bring coffee, wonder if that's ok. Biscuits would come under picnic no doubt. I think they might as well give up. No one's following this lokdown.
Female
11-Jan-2021 21:03 Message #4803097
Their website Gov.uk, does not give a mileage limit. It says stay local. Deliberately vague. We hate lock down.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
11-Jan-2021 22:25 Message #4803119
I wouldn't normally defend Boris, but as a local cyclist, I struggle over 10 miles which is local. It's only an hour and I get back knackered. I only don't do it because I'm not a winter cyclist.

I don't think the two women should have been fined or that they were breaking any rules, but collecting a coffee or peppermint tea kind of accelerates risk of contact.

I meet my partner for walks, we don't go for coffee, we don't hug or touch and take our own flasks. We meet from separate cars and start our walk from a non busy shopping car park, not a heaving beauty spot. There is no way I'm taking any risks.

The problem I do have is my eldest son in Sheffield, lives alone, vulnerable mental health, his dad died a few weeks ago, but to continue to sort out administration of the death, he would have to come home on and off and has borrowed his brothers car to do so. He wouldn't be seeing anyone else and he is our "bubble". So far we have put it off, but he isn't sleeping again and has anxiety over heart problems. His grandfather died age 35 of heart problem and now his dad has died at 69 of heart problem, and my son has had a procedure for a heart problem when he was only 19. He would have to drive through Derbyshire. I think he is a very low risk exception, but maybe other wouldn't agree?
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
11-Jan-2021 23:00 Message #4803125
I think fair do's to the bloke, he's excercising. Until the distances for excercise are clarified, and so long as he didn't go from one tier to another what's the problem? I think it's just the proverbial st stirring.**

Agreed. Practically every well known politician and celebrity has been "exposed" in this way and it is ridiculous.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
12-Jan-2021 09:33 Message #4803146
7 miles on a bike is quite a small distance. I know of several regular riders who clock up 30 miles or more on a ride, looping around over 10 miles from their homes.

So no worries, really. Someone just trying to score political points

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
12-Jan-2021 10:47 Message #4803150
It could be said that London is local to Boris, he lives there, trouble is London is huge, I think it partly in response to the two women who were fined for driving five miles to go for a walk, although I don't remember Boris commenting on it.

Staying local means different things to different people, it can depend on where you live, what facilites are in your immediate area.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
12-Jan-2021 10:53 Message #4803153
The two women's fines have now been withdrawn and they have received an apology after police have received clearer guidelines.

I think it's very difficult, especially for people who may not normally visit the country to not be able to predict the crowds. Imagine putting a 2-3 kids in your car, driving only 10 miles to a place you would think is wild a open and low risk, only to find everyone else had the same idea. So many living in apartments and with postage stamp gardens, and many local green spaces have been sold off.
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
12-Jan-2021 11:15 Message #4803157
Personally I'd be more worried about the cycle from Westminster to Stratford (if that's what he actually did, which I doubt very much) that's way more of a risk to life.
You need eyes in the back of your head in a car, and even then you get sweaty palms!!
As per usual everything is being sensationalised. BJ had every right to go out and see for himself how many people were in that area if it was known how busy it had become.
The London 2012 Olympic site is vast and the area was designed to be cycled around so it seems logical that it's best covered on a bike.
But what they should have done is, security permitting, maybe invite the press to shadow him so that it removes the chance of being "spotted" and the furore that has now resulted.

Male
12-Jan-2021 11:16 Message #4803158
And anyway he's had covid so he is immune....
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire
12-Jan-2021 11:53 Message #4803160
Blackjack,

" they even spoiled the famously beautiful Buxton Blue Lagoon with black dye in an effort to deter people from visiting. "

Wrong, this was done to save people from them selves.
1) The lagoon is actually an old quarry, very deep and very cold.
2) It's blue because of it is very alkaline, owing to the presence of caustic chemicals that are leaching from the waste left from the lime burning.
3) The quarry was used after WW11 to store captured chemical munitions. And they tried to dispose of them by burning which wasn't very successful.
4) It was the local council who dyed the water not the police.

They shamed the alleged offenders because in the first lockdown you weren't supposed to travel at all.

But why let the facts get in the way of a good rant ....eh.

Chris.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
12-Jan-2021 14:15 Message #4803165
So let me see. If we are allowed to exercise for an hour (for example), and both cycling and walking as exercise are encouraged, your average porky not very fit 56 year old would cycle on the level at about 12 mph. So 7 miles represents just over half your time, just in time to turn around and go back again. But we all know that Boris is well used to cycling and would probably manage a bit faster than 12 mph. Neither is there a maximum time for how long you can exercise for, I believe, so 7 miles doesn't seem excessive to me. Plus, the guy is PM and I reckon the guy is within his rights to get out a bit in a covid friendly way and see for himself how people are doing. He always did that before he was a PM anyway, and that's exactly how I met him a few years ago in the Mall, when he stopped for a chat.
Not that I would normally be in a big rush to defend Boris, but overall (and this is not meant for anyone specific or anyone on this thread) it is really starting to get right on my tits the way this whole covid thing is bringing out the inner control freak in so many people, all the curtain twitchers and busy bodies wetting their nicks with the excitement of it all, I get the impression that an awful lot of people are actually enjoying all this.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
12-Jan-2021 19:01 Message #4803192
There do seem to be a lot of people behaving like tin pot hitlers and I think they are enjoying it.

I do feel for people who go to a beauty spot that deserted most of the time only to find herds of people there, we all need some fresh air and excerise, but it dosen't help when some places are closed as it puts more pressure on those places that are open or can't be closed off. With the weather we've been having it hard to find somewhere dry enough to walk, I finally got down The Inland Sea today where its always pretty damp, but it was boggin, but it was good to have to proper walk in the sunshine and not be cowering from wind, rain and freezing temperatures.
Male
12-Jan-2021 20:08 Message #4803193
Yep a lot of people are enjoying lockdown, buying and wearing trendy masks and calling people out for rule infringements.
I'm actually getting majorly pissed off with the whole thing and going to work is the only bit of exercise and fresh air that I get.
The rest of the time I'm stuck in my little flat.
I really hope they don't tighten the rules even further, making mask wearing mandatory out in the fresh air and shutting even more down will be the last straw....
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
12-Jan-2021 21:55 Message #4803202
I've spoken to a few people who are enjoying the lockdown. These include a few kids off school. A number of adults being paid while off work and several who are now exercising more when they go for walks.
I haven't many who actually enjoy wearing masks although most have no problem with doing so - well it isn't hard is it. Lots of people have gone for masks which look a bit better than the plain blue disposable one which is a good thing.
I think we all know a tighter lockdown and more venues and workplaces shutting down would be beneficial in stopping the virus spreading but this has to be after taking other things, such as mental health and the bankruptcy of businesses into consideration.
Male
13-Jan-2021 07:32 Message #4803213
..."would be beneficial in stopping the virus spreading but this has to be after taking other things, such as mental health and the bankruptcy of businesses into consideration."

Don't make me laugh, those other things are not being taken into consideration at all.
Ministers saying "it's with a heavy heart that we have to trash the economy" isn't taking those things into consideration at all, it's giving them the merest mention.
Covid is the only game in town and everything, literally everything else has been pushed to the side, ignored and forgotten.
The death toll resulting from those other things will be something that shocks people when they finally wake up from their lockdown induced coma.

"Lots of people have gone for masks which look a bit better than the plain blue disposable one which is a good thing."

Why is what a mask looks like more important than what it actually does? It just demonstrates what nonsense it is...
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
13-Jan-2021 07:37 Message #4803216
More people are complaining about businesses continuing to operate and believe stricter measures are needed and the government's wish to keep commerce working is the wrong one. I've heard fewer people taking your stance Hierophant.

I have purchased a couple of masks I consider to be aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't mean the looks are more important than the efficiency. I wear a scarf to keep out the cold and wellies that keep out the wet. Both are chosen to be efficient but also look good.
Male
13-Jan-2021 08:02 Message #4803223
Of course, because they're the public sector workers, retired people, people on benefits and those who won't be affected if lockdown goes on for another 6 months.
Too many are enjoying lockdown and getting paid for being at home, it's a shame the weather isn't a bit nicer.
Reality will hit at some point....
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
13-Jan-2021 08:28 Message #4803228
I really cannot see what the problem is? Seven miles is hardly any distance on a bike and I have a friend who would not go on a bike ride of less that 30 miles or so. Why are there so many people who come out of the woodwork, pretending to be holier than thou? They seem to consider every little thing a crime. Are we all meant to live as hermits and not be seen outside anymore? But the press seem to just target people and never stop. It was the same with Gordon Ramsey, not that I am a fan. But every time he was out for a cycle ride, somebody was following with a camera. No wonder he jumped a red light on a quiet country road. I think I would have done the same, to shake off whoever was following me. Not nice, having a camera following your every move, waiting to turn the slightest slip, into a huge molehill.
Male
13-Jan-2021 08:53 Message #4803235
I agree, but who is encouraging this telling of tales? The Govt and NHS, that's who....

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Help with conversations