Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Bias Binding

Has anyone

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
11-Jan-2021 18:57 Message #4803066
ever made it with or without a special cutter? Is it easier with the special cutter? Does it fold it for you or do you have to d-i-y and fiddle about ironing it?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
11-Jan-2021 19:51 Message #4803073
Its an absolute s*d to make. I didnt have a special cutter though, I just used very sharp scissors Main problem is cos it has to be cut on the bias, and then of course, you must not stretch it at all before or whilst ironing it. Its very hard to do that. I tried many years ago and gave up in the end.

I managed to buy some at a market stall which sold lots of sewing stuff but that was a few years back. It does turn jup on the Freebie sites occasionally when people turn out their needlework boxes. (Freecycle.org and Trashnothing.com)
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
11-Jan-2021 20:18 Message #4803079
Luckily thanks to my hoarding of stuff that "might come in useful" I have never had to make it - yet. I suppose I might eventually as I have run out of elderly female relatives.
Female
sunnyagain  Female  Hampshire
11-Jan-2021 20:25 Message #4803081
I bought some from ebay last year when making masks, I would think it's very fiddly to make.
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
11-Jan-2021 23:50 Message #4803134
I have never made it - just bought it, but you dont ever see Haberdashery shops anymore. I used to love them, so many different thing to see and buy. There used to be a good market stall in Essex but that closed down ...
Female
12-Jan-2021 10:35 Message #4803149
Haberdashery shops being non essential are shut at the moment, we do have one here, its a shame that the bloke who owns it isn't very nice or that helpful. I know theres plenty of online places to get it from, but now my sewing machine is behaving itself, I was thinking about future projects where a binding in the same fabric as the garment would be good.

Madness, Etsy has a good haberdashery section.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
12-Jan-2021 14:19 Message #4803166
I would never attempt to make bias binding, although my beloved late ex ma in law used to make hers with a gadget and she was jolly good at it. It seems to be fairly easy to get it online, if you can't find a craft shop that is open.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
12-Jan-2021 15:57 Message #4803176
Never heard of it!
Female
12-Jan-2021 18:54 Message #4803191
I was thinking that if I made it, I would use a gadget, and only if I really needed some in a pattern or colour I couldn't get otherwise. I've seen it done on the Sewing Bee and was curious, I've seen loads online, trouble is you can never really colour match on line, maybe its something sewing stores could offer along with matching thread when you buy fabric?
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
20-Jan-2021 00:14 Message #4804227
HotWot - its a lovely meal lol ;-)
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
20-Jan-2021 07:12 Message #4804247
Madness. In that case I'll get stuck in ;)

Help with conversations