Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Waste

What you think?

Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
7-Jan-2021 00:39 Message #4802637
Should we recycle more?
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
7-Jan-2021 02:05 Message #4802640
More products are recyclable, it's just the Local Authorties can't be bothered accepting ALL products with a recycle logo on them.
I think that paper bags should be used in fresh food products, in particular fruit & veg., in the supermarkets like my local market and many greengrocers do. It's better for the product because they don't sweat and better for the environment because they bio-degrade rapidly. Most people only need packaging that will last from location of purchase to home; not years.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
7-Jan-2021 07:20 Message #4802643
Recycling must be a god thing. The vast number of goods being bought online are delivered in boxes and packaging to protect them but on a good note this packaging is nearly always pre-used.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
7-Jan-2021 08:03 Message #4802649
"Should we recycle more?"

We should, but were not helped by manufactures that put their product in a plain recyclable plastic container, usually a jar,
and then, 'sweat on' a NON recyclable plastic sleeve label!

Bet there's not many people bother to remove the sleeve before binning the jar!
(unless of course, there a member of MSE) lol lol ;-}
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
7-Jan-2021 10:34 Message #4802664
I've recycled for years, didn't need recent promotions to change my behaviour, but it is more convenient to recycle now, and I'm making an effort to not buy new clothes if I have old ones that will do. If I do buy anything, I try to buy natural materials or recycled ones which are often more expensive. My "new" coat 2-3 years old is made from recycled polyester and down that has been recovered from old clothing.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
7-Jan-2021 10:36 Message #4802666
We're lucky our council recycles loads of stuff and much of its a weekly curbside collection.

I tend to go for refils of liquid soap, washing up liquid etc, bars of soap come in a paper bag, so do shampoo and facial cleanser.

I try to buy vegetables loose and either put them in a paper bag or just have them weighed loose at the till.

I wish more companies would use packing chips made from wheat chaff, its a waste product and is disposed of by using it as animal bedding, or putting on the compost heap or in the food recycling bin, it reduces to almost nothing when wet.
Male
7-Jan-2021 14:09 Message #4802679
There's a stage further that suppliers can go. My meds from Boots come in a "plastic" like material imprinted "do not recycle, either put it in your composter or normal bin for fast biodegrading". I think they are made from potato starch. That must be even better for the environment because it doesn't require pollution from recycling plants. I think they biodegrade in about 2 months. Surely it's a material that could quite easily replace plastic, in particular plastic carrier and bin bags and have similar properties for consumer use for the length of time most people use them.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
7-Jan-2021 16:44 Message #4802689
In my grandparent's day everything would be recycled, repaired, darned, painted, botched and bodged if it meant not having to replace it. As we have become wealthier (imo) the necessity of prolonging the life of our goods has become less important. Even during my lifetime I had to get used to replacing curtains or carpets for only aesthetic reasons. You only have to look on any council tip to see hundreds of good items thrown away.
The most annoying thing I experience is all the plastic wrapping and bubble packs.
Male
7-Jan-2021 16:55 Message #4802692
I'm afraid I'm still a hoarder with jars full of nuts and bolts (you know the "you never know" ones) what have come off things that just can't be repaired anymore ;-)
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
7-Jan-2021 17:04 Message #4802694
I just get funny looks when I use my old undies as a hat.......
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
7-Jan-2021 18:37 Message #4802705
My elder daughter, who used to tell me to "get rid of all the old rubbish" now comes to ask me if I have whatever it is she needs.

She was really disappointed when I reminded her I had chucked out my flares many years before at her insistence - and very happy when I dug out a couple of mini-skirts.

I can usually find a suitable button or buttons in the button box (inherited from Grandmother and mother) if I need them. If a cardigan or buttoned dress ends up in the rag bag I remove the buttons first if they are nice and I also have a good collection of new and previosly used nuts, bolts and screws which come in handy. A new picture I was given last birthday was hung using a fixing from a box marked 1/6d (probably rescued from my Aunty's house when she died) and a kitchen cupboard was recently fixed with a hinge kept from the cupboards removed 20 years ago.
Female
7-Jan-2021 18:42 Message #4802706
Bubble packs do my head in too.

I've got 3 jars of ancestral buttons, my mums, my nans and Manthings mums, and the same of more general sewing stuff, but why, do I so rarely have the right coloured thread when I need it?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
7-Jan-2021 20:48 Message #4802723
This isn't a joke, it's true.

My daughter is 35 now and she would have been around age 4 and we were round ne of those tubs in M&S where odd underwear was thrown in and reduced.

My daughter piped up, "Are these knickers recycled mum?"

Out of the mouths of babes!
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
8-Jan-2021 15:19 Message #4802789
I hate those carton , covered in plastic packaging for meat, mainly pieces of steak. . 70% less plastic it says, easy to remove too,
But every time I remove the plastic I remove a finger nail too or I stab myself with the scissors.

leogirl. .

Male
8-Jan-2021 15:26 Message #4802790
We live in an ironic world where milk bottles were made of glass and were delivered to your doorstep. When you had used them you'd put them out for the milkman to collect and they'd go back to be thoroughly sterilised and reused.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
8-Jan-2021 16:20 Message #4802802
They still are here, bris.

It's just a case of remembering what day/evening it is as when to put the empties out on the doorstep! lol ;-)
Male
8-Jan-2021 17:16 Message #4802808
They changed years ago up here vanners. Mind you don't see many milkmen up here anymore because people buy in from the supermarket.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
8-Jan-2021 17:52 Message #4802810
I have my milk delivered by a milkman I have used for many years but I could have milk delivered with my weekly supermarket delivery at less than half of the cost I pay now.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
8-Jan-2021 19:44 Message #4802822
We've spent years working towards what we have, don't worry though, the graduates and intelligencia will work it all out for us.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
8-Jan-2021 23:26 Message #4802835
Do you think that when we look back through history every generation had a dislike of progress?
Female
9-Jan-2021 11:42 Message #4802880
Yes, you still get some people who probably disaprove of the use of fire, there will always be some things that are a mixed blessing or a total pain in the bum.

Help with conversations