Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

People having similar names

Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
6-Jan-2021 10:56 Message #4802586
I was looking up Scott Bradley, who wrote the fantastic incredibly difficult music for cartoons, such as 113 out of 114 old Tom and Jerry ones. He was an American pianist and arranger, as well as being a composer and conductor.
Then I noticed that there is also Scott Bradlee who is an American pianist and arranger.

There was a Nobel prize winning physicist named Wolfgang Pauli, and another Nobel prize winning physicist named Wolfgang Paul. Paul called Pauli his "imaginary part", because "i" is an imaginary number, (the square root of -1).

Can you think of other people who have similar names, perhaps doing similar activities?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
6-Jan-2021 12:49 Message #4802589
I'd probably be able to think of quite a few....but some that already spring to mind...

I was watching a Minder episode a few days ago.....with Colin Farrell......The Colin Farrell from the 80's era.....not the more recent Colin Farrell....

Two Alan Smiths.......Both footballers.....The Arsenal legend ( the one who Graham Taylor brought on when he took off Gary Lineker in which turned out to be Linekers final England appearance ).....and the bit more recent Leeds one...

Jamie Moore - Ex Champion Boxer...now trainer ( my nephew has worked with him ) ...........and Jamie Moore - Jockey

When Baddiel and Skinner were doing their Fantasy football series years ago....There was a top Referee called Pierluigi Collina....the best Ref in the world......There were looking for similar named members of the public to the World cup players etc.....and someone sent in a cleaner called Pierre Luigi.......Pierre Luigi the Cleaner
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
8-Jan-2021 08:37 Message #4802761
My next door neighbours name is Mr Jones and his wife has the same name Mrs Jones but amazingly there are two younger visitors come to see them and they both go by the name of Jones too.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
8-Jan-2021 13:56 Message #4802785
But was she Miss Jones before they were married?
A less common surname than Jones is Roosevelt. FDR who later became president married a lady having maiden name Eleanor Roosevelt, his 5th cousin removed.

The 1937 song "Have You Met Miss Jones?" was written by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart. Another Richard Rogers (spelled differently) was the designer of the Paris Pompidou Centre, the London Lloyds Building, etc.
The 1972 song "Me and Mrs. Jones" was written by Cary Grant Gilbert and others. Archibald Alec Leach was born in 1904 in England, but in 1931 a film studio executive said he should change Leach to "something that sounded more all-American like Gary Cooper", so he became Cary Grant. Incidentally, I know someone named Garry Cooper.

John Kennedy currently has high positions in US politics. But he is not related to the president John Kennedy. (Like many millions of people, I still remember 22-Nov-63 when JFK was assassinated.)
Two previous US presidents were John Adams (president 1797-1801) and John Quincy Adams (1825-1829).
There were US presidents Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) and Andrew Johnson ((1865-1869). The name John is often called Jack, but I doubt that Johnson was called Jackson. (Wikipedia says "While Jack is now a proper name in its own right, in English, it was traditionally used as a diminutive form of John. It can also be used as a diminutive for: Jacob, Jason, Jonathan, Jan, Johann, Johannes, Joachim and sometimes for James, from its French form Jacques, from the Latin Jacobus. It is also used as a female given name (often a shortened version of Jacqueline or Jackie)". So does that mean that JFK and his wife Jacqueline/Jackie were both called Jack Kennedy?)

In 1975 Michael Jackson wrote "Principles of Program Design" which I and many millions of others followed to write better computer programs. Singer Michael Jackson was called the "King of Pop", and his compilation album "King of Pop" includes the great hits "Billie Jean" and "Off the Wall". Billie Jean King used to practice by hitting a tennis ball against a wall.

There's an author David Mitchell, and comedian David Mitchell who has also written books.

There was the actor John Wayne who often played a cowboy, and the writer John Wain who probably played cowboys & Indians when young!

There are writers Jeffrey Archer and Geoffrey Archer. (I used to think that Geoffrey was just a nom-de-plume by someone hoping that people would buy his books by mistake, but I was wrong.)

There's Christian apologist Jay Smith (whom I admire), who said on a video that his real name is Joseph Smith, and there's Joseph Smith Jr (whom I think was an extreme con-man), who in 1830 published The Book of Mormon, which later became a basis of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
8-Jan-2021 22:59 Message #4802829
William Shakespeare from Stratford-Upon-Avon was a great writer, but he couldn't consistently spell his name. His signatures are Willm Shakp, William Shaksper, Wm Shakspe, William Shakspere, Willm Shakspere and William Shakspeare, but never William Shakespeare. Different sources at the time show his name in more than 80 different ways, including Shappere and Shaxberd.
On 08-Dec-20 William Shakespeare from 20 miles away from Stratford-Upon-Avon was the 2nd person in the UK to receive the Covid-19 vaccine.

Rudolf Höss (or Hoess) was a Nazi commandant of Auschwitz concentration camp, and at the end of World War II he evaded arrest until 1946 by calling himself Fritz Lang. Yet filmmaker Friedrich ("Fritz") Lang was against the Nazis!
Rudolf Hess was deputy fuhrer to Adolf Hitler. In the 1946 Nuremberg trials he was sentenced to life imprisonment in Spandau Prison. In 1987, he hanged himself to cut a long sentence shorter. The group Spandau Ballet's first single was "To Cut a Long Story Short".

In music, there are the singer Arnold ("Gerry") Dorsey who took the name Engelbert Humperdinck, and the composer Engelbert Humperdinck. The composer wrote the opera Hansel and Gretel, in which the two children are imprisoned by a witch - but they didn't sing Dorsey's hit "Release Me"! More than 60 years ago in primary school I used to sing and dance the delightful "Brother, come and dance with me" from Hansel and Gretel, and many years later I danced to Dorsey's hit "The Last Waltz".
Also in music, Raymond O'Sullivan used the name Gilbert O'Sullivan after the operetta writers Gilbert and Sullivan. He worked for, (and later successfully sued), music industry manager Gordon Mills, who also managed Engelbert Humperdinck and Tom Jones, and who co-wrote Jones' hit "It's Not Unusual"
Mills changed the stage name of singer Thomas John Woodward to Tom Jones, because of the popularity of the film Tom Jones based on Henry Fielding's 1749 novel "The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling", one of the earliest English novels.

Before writing "Tom Jones", in 1730 Henry Fielding wrote a play "Tom Thumb", which in 1731 became "The Tragedy of Tragedies, or the History of Tom Thumb the Great.". That was based on the first fairy tale in English "The History of Tom Thumb", which was based on 16th century supernatural stories, (although there is a small grave for a Tom Thumb). In 1819 the Brothers Grimm published fairy tales including "Thumbling" (about someone called Daumsdick or Thumb-thick) and "Thumbling's Travels" (about Daumerling or Thumbling). They are sometimes confused with Tom Thumb. In the 1958 film "tom thumb", Russ Tamblyn played the part of Tom Thumb; coincidentally the word "Tamblyn" sounds a bit like "Thumbling". (He was prominent in "West Side Story", which brings us back to Shakespeare.)
In 1835 Hans Christian Anderson's fairy story "Thumbelina" was published. From the 1840s onwards the dwarf Charles Sherwood Stratton worked for the showman Phineas T. Barnum, who gave him the name "General Tom Thumb".
(In the 1920s photographs of the "Cottingley Fairies" fooled Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and others, and it wasn't until 1981 that Elsie Wright and Frances Griffiths admitted that they had forged the photos, and pointed out the hatpins holding up the cardboard cutouts.)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
9-Jan-2021 16:49 Message #4802916
In 1783 John Michell predicted the existence of black holes, (which he called "dark stars"), whose gravity is so strong that even light cannot escape from them. This was based on Isaac Newton's idea that light consisted of particles and Newton's law of gravitation.

John Newton Mitchell was a lawyer and president Richard Nixon's Attorney General. But in the Watergate affair, Mitchell broke the law in many ways, and from 1977 he spent 19 months in prison.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
11-Jan-2021 10:57 Message #4802995
Harry Corbett was an entertainer with his glove puppet Sooty. (I knew a black cat named Sooty.)
Harry H. Corbett was an actor best known for playing Harold Steptoe. He introduced the middle "H." to distinguish himself from the puppeteer. When asked what that "H." stood for, he joked "Hennyfink".

Charles Darwin published his books "On the Origin of Species" in 1859 and "The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex" in 1871. He disagreed with his half-cousin Francis Galton about eugenics to "improve" a population.
Charles Galton Darwin was a grandson of Charles. He worked on atomic physics and crystallography, and eugenics.

A family of mathematicians included 2 x Jacob Bernoulli, 2 x Nicolaus Bernoulli and 2 x Johann Bernoulli.

In 1922 the Nobel Prize in Physics was won by Neils Bohr, for being an originator of atomic physics. He taught at Copenhagen University and founded & became director of the Neils Bohr Institute.
In 1975 the Nobel Prize in Physics** was co-won by his son Aage Neils Bohr, for his work in atomic physics. He became a professor at Copenhagen University and after his father died he became director of the Neils Bohr Institute.

In 1915 the Nobel Prize in Physics was won by William Henry Bragg and his son William Lawrence Bragg for X-ray crystallography. Later both were knighted. W.H.Bragg's uncle was also named William Bragg.

In 1924 the Nobel Prize in Physics was won by Karl Manne Georg Siegbahn for X-ray spectroscopy. He became a professor at Uppsala University in Sweden.
In 1981 the Nobel Prize in Physics was co-won by Kai Manne Börje Siegbahn for laser spectroscopy. He too became a professor at Uppsala University.

In 1902 the Nobel Prize in Physics was co-won by Hendrik Antoon Lorentz for the Zeeman effect. In 1878 Hendrik Lorentz had derived an equation about refractive index and polarisability without knowing that in 1869 Ludvig Lorenz had derived it, and it is now called the Lorentz–Lorenz equation.
In 1973 the Nobel Prize in Prize in Physiology or Medicine was co-won by Konrad Zacharias Lorenz for his studies on animal behaviour.
In 1983 the Crafoord Prize, which is nearly as good as a Nobel Prize, was won by Edward Norton Lorenz. He is known for chaos theory and proposing the "butterfly effect". In 1963 he wrote "one flap of a sea gull's wings would be enough to alter the course of the weather forever", and later replaced a sea gull by a butterfly. It is also said that the phrase "butterfly effect" for a similar idea originates from Ray Bradbury's 1952 story "A Sound of Thunder" in which a time-traveller seeking dinosaurs accidentally treads on a butterfly, which has a big effect when he returns to the present.

Incidentally, I knew nearly all of these names but had to look up details. My memory of very similar names is running out. So here are three originators of quantum theory whose surnames are just similar: Neils Bohr, David Bohm and Max Born.

Help with conversations