Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Oldies had more fun?

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
20-Dec-2020 00:22 Message #4801122
Was reading about politics from the mid 1700's, apparently the politicians then had to be pretty quick witted.

'The hustings were a world in itself – candidates addressed the crowds of potential voters (and the mob) and were expected to give as good as they got.
John Wilkes a Liberal candidate is purported to have answered a heckler who cried out that Wilkes would get the pox or hang by shouting ‘it depends whether I embrace your mistress or your principles’!'

Wonder if they ever went on stage?
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
20-Dec-2020 08:49 Message #4801130
Some of our past politicians have been interesting characters.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
20-Dec-2020 10:27 Message #4801145
Its only fairly recently that politicians have kept away from the public only giving talks and interviews not being questioned by the public with often hostile crowds. I think politics has lost out because of it, we don't have politicians who are as mentally agile and can put a case for their beliefs.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
20-Dec-2020 11:31 Message #4801156
sadly anything to do with a Politian these days is so contrived its pathetic.

they dare not go off topic, have to tow the party line, get coached on what to say pre interview....even down to the hand gesture, have you noticed how they form a fist with the thumb on top ?

i think john major was the last one to stand on a soapbox and i always respected him for doing so.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
20-Dec-2020 11:38 Message #4801157
I don't think we have had the politicians for a while now but I don't think entertaining exchanges are possible now as the crowds, as you say, are almost always hostile and spitting venom so no chance of humour slipping in.

Winston Churchill possibly had the quickest wit but Denis Healey had his moments.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
20-Dec-2020 18:20 Message #4801190
I don't thiink crowds are more hostile than they were years ago, heckling politicians was seen as a sport and as was said before they gave as good as they got. I agree that they're all to well coached these days and dare not go off message, thats one of the reasons I like watching when politicians are confronted with the public's real views, some bluster and others go off script. I notice that if they do go off script then they're rarely allowed out in public again and that theres always the same few on every show, presumably those who can be trusted to stay on message.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
21-Dec-2020 09:45 Message #4801253
Everything a politician says these days if filmed on someone's camera and ends up as a mickey take on YouTube.
I do think the crowds are more hostile. These days everyone thinks they know everything about politicians and politics and it makes them very vindictive.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
23-Dec-2020 12:36 Message #4801393
I think politicians today are quite clever. They are the living maestro of contrivance, very difficult to get past that superb metal shield to a straight answer, even remotely honest without artifice. They are career politicians, and are pretty smart to have got where they are.

That does not include all of them of course, there are many not in the public eye, that are genuine equeries for the public good.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
11-Jan-2021 23:16 Message #4803132
Everything a politician says these days if filmed on someone's camera and ends up as a mickey take on YouTube.
I do think the crowds are more hostile. These days everyone thinks they know everything about politicians and politics and it makes them very vindictive.

The constant filming of every action and every word must stifle a lot of actions by politicians.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
12-Jan-2021 07:49 Message #4803140
Was reading about politics from the mid 1700's, apparently the politicians then had to be pretty quick witted.

'The hustings were a world in itself – candidates addressed the crowds of potential voters (and the mob) and were expected to give as good as they got.
John Wilkes a Liberal candidate is purported to have answered a heckler who cried out that Wilkes would get the pox or hang by shouting ‘it depends whether I embrace your mistress or your principles’!'

Wonder if they ever went on stage?

If only someone had filmed them at the time!
Male
OcelotTangle  Male  Cornwall
12-Jan-2021 10:32 Message #4803148
Michael Gove was filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hLHyLC2DqI

"Michael Gove - Superstar" (Youtube)

He switches into grim, not funny stand up comedian mode about 23 minutes in, making jokes about "the gays".

Help with conversations