Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Blocked!

A thought!

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
12-Nov-2020 22:30 Message #4797748
A member of the site sent out kisses to everyone and this may have been the explanation for many more members showing as online which has to be a good thing for mse.

The forum could do with new members but also I noticed a few posters state that they have blocked quite a number of fellow members. Maybe if those blocked were granted an amnesty they might be able to read more threads and more posts which could revitalise the forum.

Just a thought.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
12-Nov-2020 22:46 Message #4797749
I will start by unblocking two members.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
12-Nov-2020 23:51 Message #4797752
'may have been the explanation for many more members showing as online'

Never thought of that, might have to try it sometime!
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
13-Nov-2020 00:13 Message #4797754
All of my blocked have happened in the last year or so......Some in the last few days.....

Before that.....I allowed too many who let me down....too many who hate the sight of me.....too many vice versa......too many who try to pull the wool over your eyes.....too many who I never want anything to do with again....too many who lie......to many who carry on lying, even when found out....too many fakes.......too many tosspots.....too many psycho's.....too many I just really can't be bothered with......too many other things......

The 'New' people the boards need........well, some will unfortunately come into some of those categories....and further blockages will happen....

The New people need to be 'Clean'.....Trusted.....Genuine......Honest......Full of Integrity......

I'm an easy going person.....but can also be hard to please......Cross me......and the wrath of me descends........

ps......f there were to be any amnesties......then perhaps the liars and cheats could start........Start a new.....Hand in all their fake id's .....and just be themselves.......

Sod all chance of that though...........

To attract new people.......I believe honesty and integrity is an extremely important part........

.....and before anyone starts with the 'haven't you ever told a lie then?' crap......Everyone on the planet has told a lie at some point......but that doesn't mean you should live your life as a lie.....or want to be as honest as you can through life........
Male
13-Nov-2020 00:16 Message #4797755
or not want to be as honest as you can through life........
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
13-Nov-2020 00:53 Message #4797757
Disincentive

It's too late. And with less than 30 regular individual posters using the conversation rooms over a week or a fortnight period, there is insufficient human input or cerebral variety to even enable many discussions or debates to stand on their own feet for very long any more. Aside from other reasons, that reason alone presents as a disincentive to post.

Fake Profiles

And some of those 30 personas mentioned have dual, triple, quadruple or more personas so the actual number of genuine members conversing on Midsummer might only be 15 - 20 people with those numbers being padded out by at least half a dozen, (or more), of the, aforementioned false profiles.

Trolls

We all have our own reasons for blocking another member and I'm guessing that many of us have already offered olive branches or amnesty only to be irritated, offended or just bored of an individual reverting back to type, (or archetype in the case of trolls), as is usually likely.

Original Posts

As I've stated several times, I sometimes use a Midsummer audience, however small, as a psychological device to enable me to write about a subject that often finds its real home on my own private website as a journal entry, a technical snippet of info, an explanation for something or some other reason and that piece I did about VR technology yesterday is a good example.

If I had tried to write that without "speaking" to someone, I may have just stared at a blank screen for ages or missed adding the human angle or intonation so, by imagining myself writing to a Midsummer audience, I may gain inspiration and loosen up my own creative writing style. Likewise, my words to JustLyn re smart speakers like Google Home or Amazon Dot will, likely, end up on one of my PC biz pages.

Inspiring Others

As for inspiring others to add to the threads? Been there. Done that. Got the T shirt way too many times but the rewards for trying that approach are few though, occasionally, an original post of mine might inspire another member to start their own.

These days, though, there is little point spending ages crafting a post here other than pursuing it for the genuine joy of writing and sure, as outlined above, I'm guilty of that and admit that sometimes I feel a wonderful surge of enthusiasm in just formulating ideas in my head prior to lining up relevant thoughts to be mulled over and processed.

The Joy of Text

And with a draft written and the words forming their own patterns, it is fun to shift them about or exchange one suitable word for a far more punchy or emotive one … until the transcript begins to develop an elegant, balanced form … and a canter … or a rhythm … and then suddenly its been an hour but I may have something. Not always … but sometimes.

Something I may then hone and polish and perfect, all the while remaining aware that I need to form title, sub heading, pre-amble, paragraphs, (Beginning , middle and end), all within the limited space equivalent of a single A4 sheet of paper. A challenge I enjoy. :-)

To fill a Midsummer text box presenting as a full page online, I use UBUNTU font, sized 11, in a Libre Office A4 doc and if I’m lucky, my text doesn’t get cut off at the end. :-)
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire
13-Nov-2020 01:58 Message #4797758
I feel blocking is important if, you feel certain people are rude or abusive and troll other individuals comments. Difference of opinion blocking, is more a show of inability and weakness. I have personally witnessed sexism, group bullying and sub culture antics. Some people attempt manipulation and close down views. It's a shame, as this medium is old school internet communique and leads to difference of opinions and sparks of thought.

All debates start as thesis and antithesis, that hopefully reach the glorious synthesis. But i detect some fragile ego's may well use the block button to protect their fragility and inability to comprehend a different view point. Or even to appear more knowledgeable and in control of the debate, thus isolating difference from joining their own created thred discussions. Kids did the same in school playgrounds. So it's bound to happen on here also. Childishness comes back to us all, as proven in Shakespeare's 7 ages of man.

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms;
And then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

Block anything that differs from you're take on right and wrong. Nothing's gonna change my world. Jai guru deva om x
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London
13-Nov-2020 07:32 Message #4797761
It's quite a good thought CircusMaximus but looks as if it is falling on deaf ears and that those who are blocked will remain so. I have never blocked anyone and I don't think I have been blocked by anyone.
There have been a few posters I've found annoying but it's only a forum and the post has usually disappeared fairly quickly. The fakes which anger you tumbled do not bother me. I assume that quite a high percentage of online personas are not accurate and a fake can still write an interesting post and be an entirely different person if met for real.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
13-Nov-2020 07:37 Message #4797763
"may have been the explanation for many more members showing as online"

More likely that was down to the clunky nature of this website, every browser warns me in big red letters that this site is NOT SECURE!
Blocking doesn't work properly anyway, you should be able to double-block and remove someone completely, but that doesn't happen....
Male
13-Nov-2020 09:05 Message #4797767
Unblocking just to try and get the site back on its feet is probably the silliest idea since the 'drinking a can of petrol to see if you can light your farts better' incident......

I blocked someone last year who called me an 'obnoxious c@nt'......

They probably still think I'm an obnoxious c@nt.....but I can't see them, so I'll never know.....

I would have to be a bit desperate to want to see them again.......and on a more serious note.....how many people take back their abusive partners in real life.....Desperate people do......Desperate vulnerable people.....

And anyway, as has been pointed out.....the blockage system doesn't work......They can still see my posts....still add to my posts....some through normal means.....some through the back door......

The good thing is.....that I can't see them.....and long let it remain.....
Male
13-Nov-2020 09:12 Message #4797769
Indeed, I very much doubt there are 500 posters blocked, who are just chomping at the bit to join in.
You'll probably find it's the same few that are blocked anyway.
The site limps along, it's 20 years out of date, people come and go and those of us with nothing better to do use it to argue amongst ourselves... lol
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
13-Nov-2020 09:24 Message #4797771
I doubt many have been blocked for anything as extreme as your numerous cases tumbled. Nobody has been abusive time but I have blocked some who I have found wind me up or get on my nerves.
I have entered into the spirit and unblocked them.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
13-Nov-2020 10:22 Message #4797782
I've got a couple of regular posters blocked, one of whom makes steam come out of my ears whenever I see his name, he's not worth the aggravation of unblocking, theres one other who I won't be unblocking either. The rest are people who rarely if ever actually contribute to threads, but send "hello beautiful lady" type PM's to me and many others in what obviously some kind of orchestrated attempt at a scam, as well as one or two who I've never seen or heard of before that have sent me rude and abusive PM's.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
13-Nov-2020 11:49 Message #4797791
I cant remember ever blocking anyone & I dont know if I am blocked.... but it wouldnt worry me - everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes.

Male
13-Nov-2020 13:41 Message #4797795
We all have our own ideas on ways to improve.....but it's clear, to me anyway, that the current posters, no matter how many are masquerading as multiple alter egos, are not winning the battle.....

People mention 'The Good Old Days'.....but then you realise that the people mentioning 'The Good Old Days' are the people who were around in the 'Good Old Days'......Yet.....and this is a big Yet...these same people who hark on about 'The Good old Days' can't muster sod all themselves......

They must have been relying heavily on others in 'The Good Old Days'.....and the ones they were relying on have long gone.....leaving the dregs.....who are totally useless and boring and......relying on a miracle.....A new lot of 'Good New Days' posters.......to get the site out of the shite.....

We've proven we are useless.....We've proven that new blood is needed......

Unblocking old blood is extremely desperate.......
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
13-Nov-2020 14:15 Message #4797796
What's the matter with you tumbled? I hope saying you are one of the most miserable people I have ever encountered isn't enough to get me blocked. Maybe you have an inferiority complex.

You seem to have half of the posting site members on block and you get het up at what most would consider nothing. Why does it upset you that so many of those who have been here a long while remember the good old days? You seem to take it as a personal insult and how on earth do you manage to arrive at your theory that those remaining are the dregs or useless and boring?

I talk about the good old days so why does that make unable to "muster sod all". Why do I deserve that insult?

I joined in 2009 and it was much better than it is now. Not because we have suddenly become useless but because membership has seriously declined. If we had a couple of dozen of the old posters that would be a brilliant addition to our own efforts wouldn't it? If we had a couple of dozen new members joining the forum that would be good too.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
13-Nov-2020 16:57 Message #4797811
You're just a newby MrQ. I had been in here four years before you turned up lol.

I was starting to type that I had nobody blocked but checked and I have nine on block but they were all from far away lands and more likely after my money than my body.

I wonder when I look back in another 15 years if the site will still be here and whether any of the present members will still be around?
Male
13-Nov-2020 19:49 Message #4797825
In 15 years......most of us will be ghosts.....

Although ghosts don't actually exist.....so we'll be pretending to try and be ghosts.....
Male
13-Nov-2020 19:51 Message #4797827
Does nobody ever wonder why the people who run this site clearly don't give a stuff about numbers?
Maybe all those members that appeared to be online were just dead profiles that were resurrected to make it look better....
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
13-Nov-2020 22:15 Message #4797835
No Hierophant I think tumbled has the answer. Ghosts.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
14-Nov-2020 08:51 Message #4797845
png, in 15 yrs time, I reckon that quite a lot of us will be pushing up the daisies. Now there's a happy little thought.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
14-Nov-2020 09:14 Message #4797850
I don't think anyone would have me blocked. Why would they? It would make no sense. I'm genuine, friendly and definitely not annoying.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
14-Nov-2020 09:58 Message #4797853
Minnie I think many of us will still be hear in 15 years talking about the good old days and who knows ... maybe the site will have lots of new members and some of us will be clinging on.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
14-Nov-2020 12:23 Message #4797869
As I have said many times before, if someone is getting on your nerves, blocking is probably the best thing to do. I never understand why people get upset about blocking. Life's too short for negativity and I would rather have a peaceful life without it than have lots of people to talk to that I don't enjoy communicating with.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
14-Nov-2020 13:54 Message #4797883
Well, since as humanity continues, we are living longer. For me, life began at chronological age of 53 so I was really 33.

Now I'm chronologically 66, I am 46 so since more and more people are living beyond 100 years old, I might (and you) have a further 30-40 years of learning and personal development, intercepted occasionally by MSE.

What adventures during retirement!

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations