Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

You're never too old to learn

I didn't know this, did you?

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
5-Sep-2020 10:50 Message #4791513
I just discovered a little fact that I never knew.
On most cars produced since 2010 there is a little arrow on the fuel gauge that indicates what side of the car the filler cap is!
I've noticed the arrow on my fuel gauge before and always thought it was a symbol for level, as in the fuel level.
Did you know that?
My mind has been well and truly blown this morning.... lol
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
5-Sep-2020 11:36 Message #4791518
I've heard a few things like that, arrow or the fuel gauge, as in the needle type, as it goes from full to empty, the needle will point to the side the cap is on.... To be honest, I've never actually checked any of them.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
5-Sep-2020 13:10 Message #4791525
I could have done with that back in 1974. Hired an Astra for a week down in Cornwall. Got a bit short of fuel towards the end of the hire, went to fill up, couldn't find the fuel cap! It was running on fumes by the time I returned it.

It was back in the days of the fuel shortages and they had started hiding the fuel caps and putting locks on them and it was a brand new car. I believe it was under a flap on the back bumper.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
5-Sep-2020 18:15 Message #4791544
I didn't know that, but then I don't think I've ever driven a car that young. Manthings thoroughly irritating jeep has a petrol cap that needs to be unlocked with the ignition key!
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
6-Sep-2020 08:49 Message #4791570
I did know that. I'm not a smartarse or a mechanic but I'm old and driven a lot of different cars lol. It's also interesting (well I think so) that if you park close to the pump with your filler on the wrong side the nozzle will still reach which is handy on a busy forecourt when there are limited positions available.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
6-Sep-2020 11:21 Message #4791600
oh yes, right next to the fuel pump icon !
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
7-Sep-2020 22:21 Message #4791710
Handy tip png but you have to get close to the pump and position the car right.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
10-Jan-2021 09:56 Message #4802961
Most cars have a complete menu of information which can be accessed to check different functions or give information. A lot of drivers never look at any of this information.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
13-Jan-2021 10:26 Message #4803252
The touch of a button can give you your tyre pressures and miles per gallon which are the two I look at.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
13-Jan-2021 14:06 Message #4803300
You're never too old to learn but it gets harder understanding the modern technology.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
14-Jan-2021 08:53 Message #4803409
I've bought some flatpack furniture so I'm hoping I can read the instructions and learn how to assemble it.
Male
14-Jan-2021 14:49 Message #4803468
I've bought some flatpack furniture so I'm hoping I can read the instructions and learn how to assemble it.

You only need a Chinese translator for the instructions, a screwdriver and plenty of swear words.
Male
14-Jan-2021 14:49 Message #4803469

You only need a Chinese translator for the instructions, a screwdriver and plenty of swear words.

Help with conversations