Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Well you, re single

And he or she is single

1 2 Next   Last  

Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
26-Jun-2020 19:08 Message #4784857
So why don't you date them?
How many times do you get this said to you? Lol
Someone said this to me today about some guy who was in work, I was like no, no way, no fing way I don't even like him, I was told well he could grow on you lol really? I can't stand the man and he's been in my work place for twenty years like me, ggggrrrr
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
26-Jun-2020 19:17 Message #4784858
On the blind date thread.......I feel a bit of matchmaking coming on.......
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
26-Jun-2020 19:23 Message #4784859
You're just too fussy, you've known him 20 years it must be love.... lol
Female
26-Jun-2020 19:32 Message #4784860
He has the most annoying laugh, I just want to hit him with a hammer when he laughs,
Male
26-Jun-2020 19:36 Message #4784861
Just tell him some of my jokes all night......He won't laugh then.....
Female
26-Jun-2020 19:38 Message #4784862
I don't even talk to him unless I have to so will not be telling him any jokes even your crap ones
Male
26-Jun-2020 19:41 Message #4784863
Hmm you seem to like talking about him a lot, you sure there's not a little spark there?....
Female
26-Jun-2020 19:42 Message #4784864
Yuk yuk yuk go tell yourself a joke
Male
26-Jun-2020 19:45 Message #4784865
Sounds like you're in denial.......I can hear the water....and the local Africans in the background.....
Female
26-Jun-2020 19:46 Message #4784866
You two so sound like the men in work barstewards lol lol
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
26-Jun-2020 19:55 Message #4784868
I had a similar thought a few years back but me being be and not very savvy when it comes to chatting up the ladies i was just my self :( lol lol

Andy Mac
Male
26-Jun-2020 19:59 Message #4784869
Oh dear we touched a nerve... lol
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
26-Jun-2020 20:13 Message #4784871
go on Euro, you know you want to..... lol....lol.....lol

V x
Female
26-Jun-2020 20:19 Message #4784872
Et tu victoriana? Where's sister solidarity? Lol all in this together? Lol. Off to eat cake lol

Male
26-Jun-2020 20:25 Message #4784873
Aww just think, you could be sharing cake with your dreamboat.... lol
Male
DM8000  Male  North West London
5-Sep-2020 21:07 Message #4791550
I have literally never had that said to me, that probably says more about me than anything now that I think about it.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
6-Sep-2020 13:04 Message #4791608
It is decades since I last took advice on potential dates from friends. My perceived wisdom is that friends' idea of a suitable man for me is one with a pulse. Although I am not a fan of checklists, I do like to employ a little more discernment than that.
I cringe at the thought of their numerous match-making attempts. There are always plenty of good reasons why the men that they are desperate to find a partner for has been single for so long. Unless I have it all wrong and it is me that they consider to be the stray in urgent need of re-homing. On balance, letting these things happen of their own volition works better for me.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
6-Sep-2020 13:27 Message #4791611
Sounds your workmate is just making a brusque comment, maybe to see your reaction?

Just raising a couple of questions not directed at you personally, but general ones.

If we can be married to someone we don't really know, and have children with them, then how can we think we know someone with an annoying laugh?

I'm not suggesting anyone does date someone they feel they don't like, but I have heard of a few successes where people disliked each other for years, then got thrown into a different situation and found more in the aspects they didn't previously know, than the small amount they had previously judged on.

I am a firm believer in people growing on us, where the initial quite trivial negatives gradually get overtaken by much more fulfilling positives. And how many of us may have liked someone initially "fancied them" from initial trivial positives, only to get in too deep before we discover serious negatives?

As for being a friend who got two people together, I did it. But it wasn't a flippant here's two single people who could date, but a several months of thinking how two really lovely people I had got to know, might actually be good for each other, they were and 10 years later still are!

I'm not sure I'd have liked my mother to matchmake for me, but in some cultures, these introductions do work and they fall in love, because I think love grows gradually from familiarity, probably more often than love at first sight.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
6-Sep-2020 16:22 Message #4791614
I think perhaps advice from men for their mates is even worse. Many assume that any female with big boobs, a miniskirt or a willingness to be over-friendly is irresistible to the single man.
When women are advising a possible partner for men I have found their choices generally sensible.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
6-Sep-2020 17:55 Message #4791616
People keep trying to push me into the Hot ex-Carers Club
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
6-Sep-2020 20:25 Message #4791626
I'm surprised to see this stuff goes on, I've never had anyone suggest any possible date for me, let alone arrange one - though maybe that says more about me.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
7-Sep-2020 07:23 Message #4791640
My perceived wisdom is that friends' idea of a suitable man for me is one with a pulse

A lot of men rely on women with that perception.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
7-Sep-2020 10:52 Message #4791652
A lot of people can't bear the thought of someone being single, especially ones so called friends, often its so childish and redolent of the playground and the underlying message seems to be 'they're both mingers and oddballs so they must be made for each other and wouldn't it be a laugh'. I've had a few people try and do that to me and I've also spent a long time in Terry's position too, I've had friends who ask me why I'm single and yet when I ask if they can suggest anyone suitable they never can. Its just one of those situations where you can't win. Personally Euro, I'd tell the lot of them to sod off and do something useful with thier lives, like cleaning toilets.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
9-Sep-2020 07:47 Message #4791832
Surely it's changed a lot for women. Years ago a single woman would have been considered a poor little thing struggling on her own but most people must accept that today's woman is just as likely to be as independent as any man.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
9-Sep-2020 09:44 Message #4791839
Its not just women who get the "we must get you a partner" stuff, men get it too, people who are in relationships want everyone around them to be in one too, unless its more convienient for them to have a perpetually single friend, for babysitting duties etc.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations