Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Do you speak to strangers?

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
15-Jun-2020 17:37 Message #4783660
As I grow older I find I'm speaking to more strangers.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire
15-Jun-2020 18:01 Message #4783662
I like talking to people and often strike up a conversation with someone in a queue, a shop or on a bus.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
15-Jun-2020 18:42 Message #4783667
Well I'm on here arn't I, so I must do!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
15-Jun-2020 20:09 Message #4783676
Always
Male
connexkev  Male  East Sussex
15-Jun-2020 20:52 Message #4783677
Yes I do. I have always being like that.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
15-Jun-2020 22:30 Message #4783681
I rarely speak to anyone - other than on here and a helpline I used to volunteer on - whom I don't know; it is strange though because I find myself being introduced to more people as I age, so consequently talking to more people. I've always thought people interesting so prefer listening than talking. Just to contradict that though, since moving into this flat, and then lockdown, I find myself saying hello to more people as we pass in the street; maybe that was/is because of my hope people's attitudes will change?
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
15-Jun-2020 23:23 Message #4783693
I would never speak to strangers, neighbours or anyone I didn't have to and I was often described as anti-social although I think that was a bit harsh. I do speak to a lot of strangers through my work but that's different.
Over the past few years that has all changed and I find myself in conversations with all sorts of people which just seems to happen. I put it down to being very relaxed and laid back as I have aged.
I have noticed how much friendlier most people have been since the lockdown with lots of strangers passing by and saying hello. I have the same hopes Terry. It might not be noticeable in a big way but I'm out and about with my work and I've seen a lot more helpfulness and friendliness.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
16-Jun-2020 07:45 Message #4783708
More strangers are speaking to me when I'm walking the dog on the pathway near my house and as others have said they are more friendly these days. Even the cyclists are polite and move over to give me room which never used to happen.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
16-Jun-2020 07:53 Message #4783710
Before the lockdown, we didnt see many people going down our lane as its so quiet & off the beaten track, but now we are getting maybe a dozen a day, and everyone chats or waves through the gates. Our dog is not so keen on them though. Generally, people are so much more friendly, cos of the CV19 situation, we are all in this together.

Money, race & creed do not make any difference in a pandemic - everyone is equal.
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
16-Jun-2020 10:34 Message #4783725
Time and place.
If I'm at home outside I might nod acknowledgement to anyone passing, but one thing you learn early doors especially when commuting is you don't even look at people let alone attempt to talk to them.
Usually you'll find yourself having to forget your usual personal space limits that you take for granted due to the number of people travelling so I think commuters do that just to create a virtual bubble of isolation around them.
So you get people burying their heads in a newspaper or book or watching something downloaded on your phone or tablet or listening to music.
The very last thing you want is someone next to you trying to spark up a conversation.
Male
connexkev  Male  East Sussex
16-Jun-2020 11:36 Message #4783737
I was born and lived in London, in the sixties if you said to someone in the street "Good morning" or anything else, they would look at you as if you were mad. Times have changed and people are generally more friendly.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
16-Jun-2020 17:40 Message #4783772
I speak to everyone and anyone. I'm a friendly person.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
16-Jun-2020 20:40 Message #4783804
Me too. I like interacting with new people and finding out about them.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
17-Jun-2020 14:39 Message #4783932
I don't speak to strangers perhaps a nod of the head or a slightly cheery smile.

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
17-Jun-2020 15:29 Message #4783934
I can be fairly shy.....so often feel better or safer keeping myself to myself........

Sometimes things happen naturally....and you get a good or bad feeling....and take appropriate action....avoid...or engage...

It can be good when a real engaging one happens....You feel it brightens your day.....and also their day...

Other times though.....avoid at all costs....The potential hassle isn't worth it....
Female
Molly  Female  Essex
18-Jun-2020 08:44 Message #4783995
Although I find the British quite reserved It doesn't take much for them to strike up conversations but some common ground is needed.
You stand at a beauty spot and others will comment to you on the view. Bus stops are hot spots for chatting. If the weather is very hot, very cold or stormy it attracts remarks from complete strangers. The pandemic has been the same shared experience so passersby when walking or others in a queue will talk to those around then.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
18-Jun-2020 12:49 Message #4784027
I think it is easier to speak to strangers when one is unmistakably "older". They tend not to be so suspicious as they would be of a younger person. Obviously not going to be a potential rival in love or business, not trying a chat up line or looking for a route to con.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
20-Jun-2020 08:01 Message #4784169
Yes I do I suppose.

This is going to be difficult to put into words....

A lot of my life, camaraderie plays a part. As a bus driver we always used to give a wee wave to each other as we passed, even drivers from different companies. Out on our motorbikes it was always the done thing to wave to other bikers or even just give a wee nod of the head as passing, or more amusingly if a group of bikers pass another group of bikers.... continuous nodding for a few seconds. Or if its bikers from Europe, they tended to stick their leg out :o

As a truck drivers we all mostly get on. If I'm in a services and waiting in a queue, and another driver is near me, a little chit chat breaks out. Out walking my dog, rarely speak to any cyclists, joggers or standard walkers, but meeting another dog walker.... a small chat must be conducted. Even if it just just telling each other, about each others dogs. Even delivering to many different places at work, meeting new people all the time....

So even although I'm not a social person at all, I do talk to a lots of strangers, and have became very good at striking up conversations with people.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
20-Jun-2020 23:37 Message #4784267
I don't mind speaking to strangers but it is usually the stranger who starts the conversation. I'm just as happy to walk past and say nothing.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
12-Jan-2021 16:13 Message #4803178
I am speaking to more strangers than ever as a result of the lockdowns and regulations such as one-way systems in shops. A common enemy in the virus has brought people together.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
13-Jan-2021 00:20 Message #4803210
I am indeed the nutter on the park bench that sidles up to the unsuspecting.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
13-Jan-2021 08:17 Message #4803225
It's a difficult time for nutters at the moment with no sidling allowed.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
13-Jan-2021 08:50 Message #4803233
I can relate to Tumble in a way, as can be fairly quiet but will engage naturally if I have a good feeling, such as somebody looking friendly, as opposed to head down and looking more hostile. And I agree it can brighten up your day. But I find you are less likely to start up a conversation with somebody in a busy high street, as you would ,somewhere in the country and more remote. For example if walking over somewhere like Dartmoor then nearly everybody you come across will stop and chat. And when I have walked in some remote places in Indonesia on my own, up into the hills etc. and only locals around, everybody will smile and wave. I have even been invited to stop and have a drink and offered fruit etc. All have been very friendly and chatty, alhtough at times a language barrier but have somehow managed. And they seem to be pleased, they have met somebody from another country. But wherever you are, if somebody shows an interest and is friendly, it can certainly lighten your mood and give you a kind of feel good factor. So if you can then yes, do engage with strangers, it can be good to talk.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex
13-Jan-2021 09:35 Message #4803243
I used to go for a walk or to the shops and speak to no-one but these days I rarely go out without someone speaking to me and those passing by on walks invariably say hello.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire
13-Jan-2021 13:47 Message #4803293
" I am indeed the nutter on the park bench that sidles up to the unsuspecting. "

We already knew that Minnie !

Chris ... r'l'f.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations