Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Serious or funny?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London
6-Dec-2019 08:05 Message #4764251
On your first date do you prefer serious conversations or lots of laughing?
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
6-Dec-2019 09:53 Message #4764255
Oh please God nothing serious.!!
I don't want to start yawning too soon on a date and guys that start bragging about their villa in Greece , their successful business and slagging off their ex partners....bye !!

I like nothing better than to feel so comfortable with someone that I can laugh til I cry :)

Humour over seriousness any day....
That can come later !
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
6-Dec-2019 15:39 Message #4764296
There's nothing worse than being on a first date and she's so funny I'm rolling about on the floor laughing like a drain, whatever that means, with tears running down my face and being unable to speak.

And that was just one of vanmans jokes from his advent calendar.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
6-Dec-2019 16:27 Message #4764298
Persona,

How'd you know what's making me laugh ... lol ;)
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
6-Dec-2019 21:54 Message #4764325
a little bit of both for me.…………...
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire
6-Dec-2019 22:09 Message #4764326
Yes, same for me, Euro.
If you really get on with someone when you meet then the conversation has texture: light, dark, silly, serious, funny, deep, personal, general, and you find yourself wondering where the time went with a genuine smile on your face.
One of the worst first dates I have had was the guy who announced himself with, "I'm originally from Newcastle, so I'm very funny", and spent the next 3 hours telling one "joke" after another! To begin with I was trying to laugh at each punchline, by the middle I was just managing a half-hearted sort of gurgle, and by the end I could no longer even turn up the corners of my mouth:(
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
7-Dec-2019 07:49 Message #4764361
A bit of everything. If that isn’t being greedy.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
7-Dec-2019 10:16 Message #4764377
I'd prefer serioulsy funny, why can't you be funny about serious things?
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire
7-Dec-2019 10:58 Message #4764380
So long since I had a date as such , would prefer serious and a laugh too , not too heavy going on the old brain . if ever I should have a date in the future the election and Brexit will be long over , that lessens any topics for discussion
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
7-Dec-2019 14:52 Message #4764395
On your first date do you prefer serious conversations or lots of laughing?

A bit of both would be nice. I like natural humour but not a fan of jokes.
Female
7-Dec-2019 16:50 Message #4764410
WH
You can be funny about serious things, but you both have to be smart and in-tune enough to do so.
It's a great indication of compatibility, too.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
7-Dec-2019 20:59 Message #4764428
Jokes? Don’t make me laugh.
Female
8-Dec-2019 10:18 Message #4764469
I guess so Cassis, to be honest if I were to ever find myself in the position of contemplating another relationship, I'd rather ask the serious questions first so as I didn't find out I was dating a born again Christian, Conservative, Brexiteer who dosent't like animals or vegetarians.
Female
8-Dec-2019 17:11 Message #4764520
That's where dating some one from originally online helps WH
I always have quite an in-depth phone call with any man Im thinking I might meet.
That informs me of those things you listed, which are important to me, too. It also gives me a good idea of their personality: humour, intelligence, attitudes, fun factor, easy sociability etc. I then go on to meet only those who I can tell I will probably like and with whom I'll most likely have a good time. Live conversation on the phone is organic, so it doesn't give people too much time to think on their feet and construct a pseudo personality.

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
8-Dec-2019 17:43 Message #4764524
A few realities, in my opinion anyway:--

Meeting can be a nervous thing for both parties....Awkward moments...conversation....whether to fill a 'quiet' moment with anything...anything at all...just something...panic sets in....

Some things are easier than others....Some are natural....even any awkward moments are easily brushed aside....If you both want to be with each other, then all sorts of things can be brushed aside...

You can each Fish and Chips, sitting on a sea wall......you don't have to have a posh restaurant to meet...,again, so long as your'e both ok with it...It doesn't matter where you are...or what you do....if your'e both ok with it...

ps...there's that joke about saying 'What do you want to do?....and them saying 'I don't mind, anything'...and you saying 'ok, we'll go to the pictures then'...and them saying 'no, I don't want to go to the pictures'....and you saying 'ok, we'll go for a meal then'...and them saying 'no, I'm not really hungry'....and you saying 'Well, what do you want to do then?'.....and them saying 'I don't mind, anything'...and so on and so on....
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
8-Dec-2019 17:45 Message #4764525
oh...i went off course a bit there....but in answer to the original....serious or funny......

I don't mind, anything really.....
Male
9-Dec-2019 06:27 Message #4764598
ps...there's that joke about saying 'What do you want to do?....and them saying 'I don't mind, anything'...and you saying 'ok, we'll go to the pictures then'...and them saying 'no, I don't want to go to the pictures'....and you saying 'ok, we'll go for a meal then'...and them saying 'no, I'm not really hungry'....and you saying 'Well, what do you want to do then?'.....and them saying 'I don't mind, anything'...and so on and so on....

That is so true.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
9-Dec-2019 15:47 Message #4764634
Whenever I meet anyone serious they seem to be seriously obsessed with themselves, their own problems and their own troubles so I prefer the guy who can be at least light-hearted.
Male
11-Dec-2019 06:12 Message #4764868
Whenever I meet anyone serious they seem to be seriously obsessed with themselves, their own problems and their own troubles so I prefer the guy who can be at least light-hearted.

Serious and miserable is not the most desirable combination.
Female
11-Dec-2019 11:07 Message #4764906
Tumbled I think that 'what would you like to do?' 'I don't mind, anything' is a trick question to see if you're actually psychic and can pick up on the others needs without them having to verbalise them, or maybe even think about them. I think its a sign that you will always be in the wrong and are incapable of fulfilling their needs, needs that the other person probably can't even say to themselves.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
12-Dec-2019 06:48 Message #4765007
I went for a drink with a guy last night and he spent most of the evening talking politics and became quite animated when I disagreed with his views. I wasn’t surprised because since the referendum it seems most of the country has become moody and argumentative. Maybe after tomorrow he would show me a funny side to his personality.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
14-Dec-2019 14:37 Message #4765383
I joined a group earlier for their coffee morning and the men were still ranting on about politics. The women were more interesting.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
14-Dec-2019 17:20 Message #4765397
You know what, a date of any kind would be something considering that I have gone out of my way to hide myself away over the last couple of years, but if such an event occurred, I would be quite happy if the lucky guy just turned up and was himself without him trying to be anything.

That aspect aside, it's true that humour can be sexy, but I am always puzzled by women who stay with a man who treats them badly, but they say, oh, but he makes me laugh. Humour can also be used to mislead and deceive and it can also be used as a defense to hide the real person behind, for whatever reason. So, where I am going with this, meeting with someone and you have a great laugh can be fun, and it can be a sign that you will get on. On the other hand, I would just enjoy the moment for what it was and not read any more into it than that. We can all be on our best behaviour, at first. I'm interested in what someone is like when you have known them long enough for the mask to slip.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire
18-Dec-2019 16:34 Message #4765885
I prefer a bit of both. Humour so you know they're relaxed around you and are actually listening to and understanding what you are saying but also the ability to open up about themselves rather than just rely on humour instead of genuine personality. You build an all round picture better that way.

Help with conversations