Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Have fireworks had their day?

Fires, injuries, frightened animals.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 1-Nov-2019 22:41 Message #4761137
Should fireworks be banned or more controls implemented?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 1-Nov-2019 23:41 Message #4761155
certainly more controls needed.

i have had dog that is terrified of bangs which can be a problem when out walking...three years ago i lost him overnight due to some brain dead idiot letting off rockets in the vicinity at 4.30 in the afternoon...on the 12th november.

i had given him up for lost after i had searched for him through the night, and a lot of our dog walking community had been searching up until about 9.30pm, bless them [some i didnt know].
the next morning about 11am there was a knock on the door, one of the "community " came to tell me syd my dog was in the carpark we use, and i shot out and got him back, thankfully.

im now of the opinion that only certified displays should be allowed, because with set times for the display i can work around that, unlike the unplanned incidents of the idiots.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 2-Nov-2019 07:07 Message #4761167
I’m also of the opinion that only organised events should be allowed.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Nov-2019 09:02 Message #4761186
I agree with ms Saint, but I have been of that opinion for decades.

It wasn't quite so bad when all that was available were the piddly little things we had when we are kids. But with the import of Chinese fireworks and the pursuit of the ever increasingly bigger bang, it's time to put a halt on it. Or they could at least limit the explosive power of fireworks sold to the general public.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Nov-2019 09:50 Message #4761188
Organised events only with maybe shops selling the piddly little things, thanks Minnie, which are the ones young children enjoy anyway. Very few young children like the big bangs.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 2-Nov-2019 09:59 Message #4761189
I've always liked fireworks.....but with all the 'world is going to end' environment protests now, it does seem strange that for the next week or so, the atmosphere is going to get a pounding.......for enjoyment......
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Nov-2019 11:14 Message #4761194
I like fireworks too, but I find them to loud. My friends dog is terrified of bangs, he shakes, won't eat or go out. One of the local charity groups does a big display down the road, they close off the beach and part of the path, so no walks on what is a very popular place, then they don't clear up properly after. The land is only just recovering from last years fire and theres still bits of metal, screws, nails, pins, wire and other random bits of sharp stuff left for months until it "disapears" and the remains of the firworks themselves, usually plastic coated cardboard. I bet these official litterbugs would be among the first to shout at me if I didn't pick up my dogs poo's citing dangers from worms and general unpleasantness, but they seem blind to the potential dangers of standing on half hidden bits of sharp rusty metal hidding in the grass.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 2-Nov-2019 16:26 Message #4761221
On the whole I like fireworks, except bangers.
I often wonder if people that lived through the blitz are unnerved by the noise and sky lighting up.

I think that displays are a better option all round.

I'm concerned for the poor animals, domestic pets as well as sanctuaries, farm animals , wild life etc
A couple of years ago, I couldn't find my cat anywhere in my flat.
I eventually found her cowering in her covered litter tray , shaking.
She was petrified.

The trouble me is its no good them putting out warnings to keep your pets in on November 5th, when we all know there will be fireworks right through to news years eve !

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »