Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Online support groups.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 29-Oct-2019 18:33 Message #4760915
Have you ever been helped by one?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 29-Oct-2019 21:01 Message #4760938
I'm an admin for one. I think we help people.
Female
LutonLady  Female  Bedfordshire 29-Oct-2019 22:47 Message #4760945
I have been giving advice on one for around ten years. Talking to so many people in the group keeps me up to date with changes and how people change too.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 30-Oct-2019 06:35 Message #4760957
There are a lot of support groups online. A good friend of mine who had a lot of problems and was suicidal was helped by such a group and is a different person today. Happy and healthy again!
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 30-Oct-2019 08:06 Message #4760961
Maybe not quite the same thing, but I joined an online forum when I was diagnosed with the medical condition I have.
My god it was the most depressing thing I have ever witnessed, people with the condition comparing ailments and trying to outdo each other with how bad their life is.
After a couple of weeks I had to leave as I think I would have ended up suicidal...
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 30-Oct-2019 09:34 Message #4760969
We currently help each other on the 'Dementia Angels UK' Facebook group. I probably would have sunk without it and the support of others at the coalface. It's also a "safe" place to vent your frustrations and say what you like without being judged. It is a place where you can ask others experiences, not advice. We try to keep it light hearted in the main and don't keep the posts purely on Alzheimer's.

I agree with Hiero in that some groups I avoid like the plague because they are depressing and constantly pin balling on who is the worst. I quickly removed myself from one of the Alzheimer's "support" groups because if you asked a question every other answer seemed to be "It's the Alzheimer's you know". You also get some with too many amateur "doctors" on them.
Female
Kallone_1  Female  Devon 31-Oct-2019 07:26 Message #4761023
I get a lot of support from the ms.society which is really good for the medical and technical stuff but an online social media group is helpful for everyday practicalities such as where to go and how to access places in a wheelchair.
Male
Mikejon  Male  Lincolnshire 31-Oct-2019 13:24 Message #4761044
They're Ok for practical matters. e.g. Brands of well-known stoves or Car Forums etc. but although I'm sympathetic to health problems, these health groups can be counter productive and just a way of 'airing' personal health problems whileacting as a negative catalyst in most instances.
Some people are obviously very much alone.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 31-Oct-2019 13:32 Message #4761046
I couldn't agree more, we see it from time to time on here...
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 1-Nov-2019 06:12 Message #4761087
Support groups are generally good and helpful but not for everyone.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »