Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Health and Safety.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 27-Oct-2019 08:58 Message #4760546
As soon as those words appear we hear stories of children and dangerous conkers and authorities gone mad but would we want a country without these regulations?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 27-Oct-2019 09:40 Message #4760559
I've always thought that it was some kind of wriggle clause used by people as a reason not to do something that is not inherently unsafe, but they don't want to do, even though you are paying them to do it.
Female
CloudChaser  Female  Cornwall 27-Oct-2019 09:49 Message #4760563
We had a country without H&S for years and things were ok. The problem these days is we live in a snowflake society where you're not allowed to take risks or do anything without an instruction manual. Some of the H&S regulations are just common sense, but most are downright ridiculous. As we now live in a nanny state I suppose we need H&S as we're not allowed to think for ourselves, learn by experiences and have our own common sense.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 27-Oct-2019 10:17 Message #4760573
Some years ago, when I was a driving Instructor, companies were taking on board the idea of putting their employees, who drove as part of their work, through additional driver training. At the time, I took on some of that training through RoSPA. One time I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours 'training' the chief exec from the Health & Safety Executive. I was left with the impression she was as frustrated with some of the public's attitude to Health & Safety as the rest if us!

Think Minnie summed it up well!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Oct-2019 10:42 Message #4760580
I agree Minnie.
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 27-Oct-2019 10:52 Message #4760582
In several roles over my lifetime, I've either maintained, supervised or project managed various groups of employees or contractors and recalling those roles, I remember always having to discuss, (or even joke), about various rules or disciplines that had to be pursued or followed.

Thing is ... When you are responsible for the health and safety of other human beings, that manifests as a big weight to carry on your shoulders and while it may seem plain stupid (to others) NOT to be able to stand on a flimsy wooden crate to reach an electrical fitting or NOT to worry about hand rails when assembling scaffolding to finish that little job, many unfortunate accidents do occur because of folk not thinking about the consequences of their actions, however easy or simple or convenient something might have seemed at the time.

Some, (not all), H & S initiatives have been born as a direct result of fatalities that will have occured while someone was just taking a little shortcut or circumnavigating some innocent little piece of red tape.

As an Employer or a Supervisor or a Site Manager, Health and Safety rules annd regulations cannot be joked about, treated lightly or set aside because when the ambulance turns up at your factory, your office or your hard won contract, it'll be you who will have to explain why a person is being attended to by medics or lying, lifeless, on the ground.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 27-Oct-2019 10:58 Message #4760583
I too was surprised N.i.D after talking to a H&S officer (who was stood watching me using some step ladders and ended in a fit of laughter at my attempts to use them 'right', and then telling me "what's wrong with the way you always used them?" - she had seen me using steps oftentimes before) and finding the main problem is rarely the policies, more often how people interpret them...

basically what Minnie sez.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 27-Oct-2019 11:01 Message #4760585
There used to be those things many years ago....where construction workers would sit having their dinner hundreds of feet up...no safety harnesses....just sitting with their feet dangling, eating a butty, and then having a lie down and a nap for half an hour....

I'm not sure if the USA culture is responsible for all the stupid stuff nowadays...sue sue sue etc...In a way, it's understandable....but in other ways...crazy....

There's a funny routine by Stewart Lee that I enjoy....where his nan gets confused between 'health and safety gone mad' and 'Political Correctness gone mad'
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 27-Oct-2019 17:44 Message #4760628
health and safety is for the good of all, and it covers the snowflakes compensation claims....no one takes self responsibility for their own actions
eg..person slips on a banana skin
its not their fault
its the companies for not cleaning it up straightaway
obviously nothing to do with the fact person wasn't looking where they were looking
so sue company

company pay out without going to court
person who slipped didn't even go docs or have time off work
true story
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 27-Oct-2019 17:56 Message #4760632
If you work in an office or a risk-free environment the H&S is probably less important. In other environments where the company has to take some safety precautions such as beepers on forklifts, safety rails preventing long falls, wearing of safety boots and safety helmets, fire doors and escape ways, medical equipment to hand and only qualified staff carrying out tasks which could lead to fatal injuries if carried out wrongly.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Oct-2019 18:10 Message #4760636
I agree Beach, when learning hairdressing and massage we had H&S drilled into us, not just for our own safety but that of our customers too. A lot of things seem obvious when you know what the risks are, but others might not see those risks.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 27-Oct-2019 19:13 Message #4760643
Actually, I was being a bit flippant really.

Some people just do not assess potential risk very well and other people are more practical and can predict consequence more easily. Safety training is an important part of keeping the work force safe, even if there must be a element of self interest from companies that don't want people to take time off from sickness and injury. It has to become second nature.

I worked in the lab for over 10 years, so I have had certain things drilled into me, like putting on safety specs if I am doing something where there is a splash risk or of particles going into the eye. I feel naked without them. I still wear safety shoes if I am gardening.

There are plenty of opportunities for accidents in offices. Unsecured cabling is a trip risk, placing switches and taps in the tea area so that people have to reach across the flow of steam from a kettle, leaving drawers and doors open so that other people can trip.

I think it is a good thing that the employer has a duty of care towards their employees. Likewise employees have a share in the responsibility for protecting their own safety and that of colleagues. I wouldn't want to go back to the days with scenarios like children were employed to collect fallen lint from looms and having to scramble about under moving belts. We take it for granted in this country that we will be safe at work. There are still plenty of countries where there is little or no safety protection, particularly in factories, construction and mining. Even though India has moved on a great deal in the last 15 years, earlier in the summer, I still witnessed some quite astonishing scaffolding.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 28-Oct-2019 06:53 Message #4760680
I wonder if safety in the workplace will be better or worse once we move away from EU regulations.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 28-Oct-2019 08:30 Message #4760691
I’ve experienced many different workplaces and although I see many very necessary health and safety measures in place I have never come across those published in The Mail or anything which hasn’t been sensible.

Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 28-Oct-2019 08:54 Message #4760695
I've worked in the oil and gas industry, the nuclear industry and the aviation industry. Although many see H&S as an impedance, just another bureaucratic exercise, but since it was introduced in 1974, the accident rate immediately dropped by 40% and is still increasing. The reason H&S exists is because common sense has taken a giant leap backwards. Some people have to be reminded that walking on a slippery surface may cause slips, trips and falls. Most of us know this already but some have to be told. The lack of awareness to danger is more prolific than you might imagine. The fact is, some people are just plain stupid and have to be protected from themselves and those around them.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire 28-Oct-2019 10:27 Message #4760708
The more we rely on H&S the less we think for ourselves. The less we think for ourselves the more we need H&S.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Oct-2019 10:34 Message #4760709
I think some of it is about manners and inclusion too, having white stripes painted on the edges of steps to help the partially sighted falling for example, we no longer think that the disabled should be hidden away and small things like that make a huge difference and I think its just good manners too.

I agree with you Badders, some people are inredibly stupid when it comes to what dangers might be around them and how they could effect themselves and others. There a a level of it which you expect in children, but some people never grow out of it and I often think of it as Darwinism in action, unfortunately is rarely themselves the stupid hurt or kill.
Female
nellieredshoes  Female  West Yorkshire 28-Oct-2019 10:48 Message #4760711
I’d rather have too much H&S than not enough. Better to protect the vulnerable and foolish than risk life and limb.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 28-Oct-2019 15:08 Message #4760742
unfortunately, the incredibly stupid will remain in the gene pool, whereas pre h&s they would be removed, a bit like a natural solution/selection! ;¬)
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire 28-Oct-2019 15:47 Message #4760747
I wonder if safety in the workplace will be better or worse once we move away from EU regulations.

I can't see that removing anything which improves safetl can be a good thing. I don't see why it would only be "idiots" who fall foul of the dangers in the workplace and public venues as accidents, through a lack of safety precautions, can happen to anyone.

In many countries you see electric sockets hanging off of walls which could easily be accessed by small hands. In fact I've seen this in many hotels too. The EU for all the faults it may have, does us proud when it comees to H&S, food safety and product safety.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 28-Oct-2019 15:57 Message #4760748
Sadly that's not the case fosy, I've known two people who were definitely not stupid die because of failings by others, and at the building where I used to volunteer, when doing refurbishment work, was found to have a wall in danger of collapse because some bright spark decided not to put an RSJ in to support the floor above it, that wouldn't have been found until it collapsed if it weren't for the refurbishment work.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 28-Oct-2019 20:01 Message #4760781
Some H&S regulations would have been welcomed when I worked in the MOD back in the 1960s.

They had me washing equipment down with Carbon Tetrachloride. That only stopped when several dry cleaning staff died from fumes. They gave me trichlorethylene instead.

I had to stick my head in a vacuum chamber to remove test pieces that had been flooded with Mercury vapour. No respirator provided. One of my older colleagues was retired with Mercury poisoning after doing similar work.

They had me cutting up asbestos sheeting to make a heat proof exhibit. Boy, it made me sneeze.

Ever played with Liquid Nitrogen? Great fun...

My colleague, 19 years old like I was, had the task of sucking up Hydrofluoric Acid in a pipette as part of an experiment that was being conducted.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 28-Oct-2019 21:24 Message #4760820
H & S has saved thousands of lives and many more injuries.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 28-Oct-2019 22:44 Message #4760850
you are right terry, but my comment was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley.

however, one has to wonder just how stupid man can be when you look into the Darwin awards !
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 28-Oct-2019 23:02 Message #4760856
My apologies fosy, I missed that, glad I've packed in work, my eyesight is getting worse.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »