Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Managerial skills...

Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Oct-2019 23:42 Message #4757374
or lack of them. Thoughts?
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 11-Oct-2019 01:04 Message #4757377
I don't need managerial skills anymore because, blissfully, my life (these days) is cast adrift from any form of discipline, structure or regimented order!
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Oct-2019 01:49 Message #4757379
I was a useless manager, in my opinion the main, and first skill a manager should have is the ability to communicate, the second is to know how to choose the right person for the job in hand.
Most managers I've known fail on both counts.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Oct-2019 02:28 Message #4757381
There's the 'Peter Principle' in most lines of work.....where they work their way up the ladder and the position they end up in is the one where they won't be going any further....so they stay there...

Often the reason for not going any further are that they are not really any good at it....so don't 'qualify' for promotion to the next level......

It often seems to happen when you move up from , for instance, trainee starting grade ( perhaps grade 1 ), through the grades, well done, well done, then when you reach grade 6 for instance...which happens to be a 'Management' grade....you no longer use the skills you have picked up along the way, eg factory worker, Fork Lift driver or an IT Tech or something....and now find yourself in a whole different role....

Mind you, some do get sacked....and there are also the dreaded 'Team Leader' courses that they are sent on.....the ones where you have to get everyone from one side of the room to the other....without touching the floor...using only some string a barrel and a piece of wood.......Then they come back from the course and think they are it....I've never needed to get across a room like that though.....yet...
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 11-Oct-2019 09:22 Message #4757404
When I was in the RAF I was taught that if you have to use your rank you are not worthy of that rank, so you learnt a management style of co-operation.

After leaving the RAF I went into computing, as it was then before it became IT, as I progressed up the management scale I used the same techniques that I had used in the RAF. I was amazed that over the years civilian management styles came round to the same philosophy.

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Oct-2019 11:11 Message #4757422
Depends on who and what you're managing in what circumstances. Some people see management as instant obedience to their whims, create stupid rules seemingly for the sake of it. There are people like me who are difficult to manage but who are good at managing others, how can that be?
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Oct-2019 16:32 Message #4757480
I've worked for good and bad managers. I'm fairly easy going and I work hard. I won't blindly obey a stupid intruction and I wont be spoken to rudely. I do appreciate a good manager who can make decisions and be a bit assertive without overdoing it.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 11-Oct-2019 17:48 Message #4757492
I think to be a good manager one has to be aware and care about the consequences of one's actions.

Our manager has an MSc but doesn't have much of a clue what I actually do, nor does the lead GP.

If I decide to retire next year I have spent 17 years growing into the job, doing things to "help", adopting the role, so gets done quietly and efficiently. I am sick of bring it up, that all this stuff that just happens won't get done after April 2020.

Sorry about your experience Bris. It is so frustrating.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »