Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Litter bugs

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 17-Sep-2019 07:13 Message #4752995
In your area is the litter problem getting better or worse? What types of litter are causing the most mess? Does having bins make it better or worse?
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 17-Sep-2019 07:34 Message #4753002
Our biggest problem locally is fast food wrappers and boxes thrown from cars. We get it in car parks too where kids in a few cars have parked up and left their rubbish behind bout at least it’s all I. One place and easy to clean up.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 17-Sep-2019 08:10 Message #4753005
I hate to see people dropping litter. It’s so disrespectful and unnecessary. I think bins help as long as it’s not an area producing a lot of litter as then people put in on top of the bin, beside the bin, anywhere near the bin rather than take it home.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 17-Sep-2019 08:24 Message #4753006
The folk who live round here seem to be very good about litter. We have a regular presence of road sweepers in the town centre who keep the place clear and the bins outside food outlets are used and emptied regularly.

I live a short walk from the town centre, just long enough to eat your chips/pizza etc and have the wrappings to dispose of. I often find this in my bin, which is kept just inside the gate. No problem there. We get more rubbish in the road when the bin men have been!

It's about making sure children are brought up to care about the environment. My grandchildren have always put their rubbish in the portable bin that is my pocket and never drop paper etc on the ground. I just wish they would apply the same to clearing up after themselves at home!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 17-Sep-2019 11:02 Message #4753014
We get quite a lot of litter, some of it is people throwing waste from their cars on the A55, they just seem to lob anything onto the verge, from food wrappers to bottle of pee. We get quite a lots of plastic thats torn off hay bales by the wind, quite a lot of marine stuff, plastic crates, plastic rope and other detritus. We have one of the best recycling and litter collection services I've heard of and its made really easy for people to use and go to the tip with larger items, but every summer we get loads of fly tipping, its like people come down to their caravan and chuck all the bedding and kitchen stuff out and find a layby and dump it all, broken tv's, duvets, nappies the lot and it is a tourist problem as it don't see it in winter.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 17-Sep-2019 13:19 Message #4753021
to bottle of pee.

That’s not good.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 17-Sep-2019 15:16 Message #4753040
The local authority street cleaners do an excellent job and the streets are kept clean most of the time.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 17-Sep-2019 18:22 Message #4753060
We get a lot of litter but the road sweeps work hard and local residents are pro-active with rubbish collections.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 17-Sep-2019 18:43 Message #4753065
Its horrible, you wonder why someones chucked a bottle of drink away when its full and then realise its pee, its horrible, I bet most of them have just come across on the ferry so there can't of been a shortage of places to "go".
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 17-Sep-2019 20:11 Message #4753077
Lorry drivers call it “driver tizer”
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 17-Sep-2019 21:00 Message #4753086
Lorry drivers call it “driver tizer”

So named after its colouring - not its taste.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 18-Sep-2019 10:50 Message #4753127
We need more bins, to many are full for to long and it encourages littering and fly tipping, people leave bags of rubbish next to a bin that then gets opened by birds and animals and spread about by them and the wind.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 18-Sep-2019 12:15 Message #4753131
Our streets are reasonably clean apart from bin collection day, after the bin men have left there is litter all over the said streets.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 18-Sep-2019 16:01 Message #4753168
There is a short cut-through to the next estate a couple of roads from here. It regularly gets swamped with empty energy drink cans. I have counted 40 at a time. It is approximately 40 feet from a litter bin. Sadly the contents of the cans fail to give the drinkers enough energy to carry the empties to the bin.

Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 19-Sep-2019 21:59 Message #4753366
Rubbish is thrown from cars at the same spots. Usually on long dark roads or on a bend where it can be thrown unseen. It’s a horrible thing to do.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 27-Sep-2019 09:00 Message #4754501
I live close to the O2 which probably generates a lot of litter but there are plenty of bins and the loacl authority is very good so it's rare to find any rubbish blowing about.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 27-Sep-2019 10:11 Message #4754515
I have walked past a couple of cars with open windows whose drivers have thrown litter and I've thrown it back in!

My daughter tells me off and says I'm risked getting stabbed these days.

I recently took a picture, whilst stationary at traffic lights, as the car in front of me tossed a bagful of rubbish onto the grass at the side of the road, then I uploaded it on Keep Britain Tidy Facebook page. Not sure if anything gets done about it, but the more people show such people up might result in some consequences.

I do pick rubbish up outside my house, plastic bottles stuffed in my hedge, but the worst thing I saw was a rolled up nappy in the gutter on my way to work, although I'm sure there is much worse.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »