Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Heritage Open Days 2019

Friday 13th to Sun 22nd September

Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 12-Sep-2019 10:40 Message #4752177
This years Heritage Open Days in England runs from Friday 13th to Sunday 22nd September.
(Events in Wales and Scotland are held all month as part of Open Doors Days, and Doors Open Days respectively).
A good opportunity to visit many sites &/or tourist attractions for free that might normally not be open to the public or might have an entrance fee.

You can see the full list of places you can get in free in England on the Heritage Open Days website.
heritageopendays
dot
org
dot
uk
slash
visiting
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 12-Sep-2019 10:47 Message #4752180
Thanks for that info MSE. Good and interesting

V x
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 12-Sep-2019 10:52 Message #4752184
My church is having its second Heritage Day opening on Saturday , last years was very successful ,,I hope for the same this year,
My daughter recently in church set up a drop in cafe on, a monthly basis for families , with autistic children , we learnt quite quickly there is a great need for this in our local area,

It is a grand idea , to go to places you would not normally visit , bit like a taster session

Very rewarding to see the children play with different crafts there , and parents relaxing and sharing with other parents over a cuppa and cake
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 12-Sep-2019 13:04 Message #4752200
OnlineMSE 12-Sep-2019 10:40

This years Heritage Open Days in England runs from Friday 13th to Sunday 22nd September.
(Events in Wales and Scotland are held all month as part of Open Doors Days, and Doors Open Days respectively).
A good opportunity to visit many sites &/or tourist attractions for free that might normally not be open to the public or might have an entrance fee.

You can see the full list of places you can get in free in England on the Heritage Open Days website.
heritageopendays
dot
org
dot
uk
slash
visiting

You, sir, are a 5*, STAR
Thank you so very much for bringing this to my attention.
I hope that you don't mind that I've posted the full URL now that it's "safe" to do so.

Again - many thanks.

https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/visiting
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 12-Sep-2019 13:24 Message #4752203
Clock Test Text #1
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 12-Sep-2019 18:36 Message #4752226
Although officially these started in 1994, my city has been running Heritage Days since 1981. They started with a few buildings over two days and this year is the largest with 30 talks, 18 walks and 83 open buildings in the city with a further 14 walks and 27 buildings in the surrounding small towns and villages. I love Heritage Days and there are new things to see every year. Ten great days and I'm going to be busy every day.
Do other towns/cities produce a lovely brochure like out Civic Society do with lots and lots of interesting local history?
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 12-Sep-2019 18:56 Message #4752229
Yes my local church is in Bircle. That is the correct way of spelling it. Most maps incorrectly spell it Birtle. If you want to start an argument with a local to the area mentioning the spelling must be high on the list ;-)
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 12-Sep-2019 19:09 Message #4752230
I'm a very lucky owner (to me) of the ancient history of The Vanishing Parish by Rev Arthur J Dobb. The book is an absolute treasure trove of ancient history dating back to pre-industrial revolution considered to be in the cradle of the industrial revolution having at one time the most mills in a vale in the whole of Europe and how the hamlets have all got biblical names. The stained glass window of the Grade 2 listed building by Thomas Willement "Father of Victorian Glass" is impressive. I would imagine it's a bible to historians where so many areas lose their history because it's not written down, just passed on by word of mouth.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 12-Sep-2019 21:45 Message #4752265
Very helpful information.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 15-Sep-2019 23:12 Message #4752800
For anyone who is interested, fit enough and can travel, it is possible to go either to the top of the northern tower of the Humber bridge or down into the depths to see the internal workings. There are no lifts, just stairs, stairs and more stairs.
Female
LutonLady  Female  Bedfordshire 15-Sep-2019 23:47 Message #4752816
That’s too many stairs for me but the type of place I find interesting.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »