Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Bonfires?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 25-Aug-2019 11:05 Message #4749615
Do you have a bonfire to burn rubbish?

Social media is afire with complains of bonfires. During the day it’s washing out, smells when sunbathing, smells hang around all evening and asthma sufferers suffering. At night the smoke drifts through open windows during the warm evenings.

Not so long ago didn’t every householder have regular bonfires?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 25-Aug-2019 11:39 Message #4749621
not a bonfire, but my new neighbour is quite adept at lighting a bbq giving no thought to which way the wind is blowing, so i have to close my doors and windows.
its always on a nice summers evening, isnt it !

revenge tactics sought pls...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 25-Aug-2019 12:01 Message #4749622
In my opinion, we are being conned big time, with all the climate stuff that gets huge news, yet bonfires in any garden seem to be ok....and then there's the big bonfires....and the fireworks and stuff....the fireworks for all sorts of things nowadays...celebrate this..celebrate that...whizz..bang..pop...

But how dare anyone fly anywhere on their hols....

or any other mention of anything CO2..
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 25-Aug-2019 14:40 Message #4749629
No-one mentioned CO2 lol.

Sometimes all that is needed is a quiet word. My neighbour sent a smelly smokescreen across my garden and a line full of washing. I can become riled too quickly at times and bowled round to have a word whereupon he couldn’t have been more apologetic and he was completely unaware of the amount of smoke blowing away from his direction.

If it’s not too often I accept it’s just one of those things.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 25-Aug-2019 17:56 Message #4749638
No-one has bonfires around here.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Aug-2019 18:09 Message #4749640
I do occaisionally, about once a year, in the evening mostly clearing garden rubbish, but its in autumn so its unlikely people would have thier windows open and I tend to do it on a cold still day so the smoke goes straight up, I don't want to be kippered.

BBQs get to me too, the smell makes me feel really sick, luckily the prevailing wind takes it away from me as the offenders on down wind from me.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 25-Aug-2019 22:37 Message #4749654
Against local bye-laws here.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 25-Aug-2019 23:35 Message #4749659
I inherited a dustbin sized incinerator with the house which is good.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 26-Aug-2019 14:00 Message #4749690
November 5th but neighbours seem to expect it.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 26-Aug-2019 20:08 Message #4749718
, we live in valley so its not good to have a bonfire here as the smoke doesnt seem to escape. I dont mind the smell (even tho I am asthmatic) but only if its natural stuff burning anything plastic or synthetic usually upsets the asthma,
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 27-Aug-2019 06:34 Message #4749735
I dont mind the smell (even tho I am asthmatic) but only if its natural stuff burning anything plastic or synthetic usually upsets the asthma

Ditto.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »