Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Should a person who is suffering from a terminal illness be able to end their life?

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 24-Aug-2019 19:15 Message #4749550
Especially as we can now be kept living for longer with the use of medicines.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 24-Aug-2019 20:44 Message #4749553
I think we should have more choice in whether or not we want to be kept alive artificially.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 24-Aug-2019 20:59 Message #4749557
its such a debateable topic,so many pros and cons...…..a friend of mine has a do not resuscitate on her medical notes after she was resuscitated...….she has terminal cancer......she was resuscitated nearly a year ago...….she is on a new trial of drugs now and she still has terminal cancer but the drugs are keeping her awake, alert and out of pain, she,s still living life, shopping and giving her husband and kids orders...….lol.lol.
so if they hadn't resuscitated it would be different story........

its such a tough question, is there a right answer?..i don't think so.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 25-Aug-2019 01:39 Message #4749580
Yes
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 25-Aug-2019 07:06 Message #4749581
It's interesting, I was thinking of starting a thread about Death Cafe's.
As has been said already, it's such a tough question, I've spoken to many who just wish to die, and when you hear their life story you gain a little bit of understanding why it might be right for them; equally I've spoken to many who never want to die.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 25-Aug-2019 09:07 Message #4749595
There's so many different scenarios, that there isn't really a definitive answer...

Making the decision yourself..to end your own life is one thing....others making that decision to end your life can be something else..

Different people will all have different views...often about the same person...Mainly based on the suffering...but the patient suffering and the loved ones suffering are different things..

I would want to die...especially if in unbearable pain...or unbearable burden to others...

My Mum sadly passed away 3 years ago aged 86...Originally we thought it was old age catching up, then we thought dementia, then she was diagnosed with a brain tumour...Very quickly, she deteriorated, and was completely unaware that she was ill or dying or anything....she didn't know where she was...or who we were..It was awful...we tried to tell ourselves that Mum was oblivious to any pain and suffering...although we could occasionally detect something that her brain was perhaps trying to process...

To see her deteriorate day by day was awful..The last two weeks she hardly woke, she looked so ill and frail...and was only fed liquids by the nurses...The end was a great relief...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Aug-2019 11:07 Message #4749616
Yes I think we should have the choice, there are some exceptions like Euro's friend, but they are exceptions and not the rule. My fear for myself is that because of the allergies and problems I have with painkillers is that I will want to end it all earlier than most and before the time limits some countries put on euthanasia requests. I've lived with the knowlege for a long time that my life will probably end by my own hand at a time and place of my choosing and that it will probably be messy and secret as I don't want my loved ones to face a criminal charge of abetting me or whatever it is. I would like to be able to die in my own country, legally and in my own home and to give my loved ones the reassurance that this is what I want and its the right time. Why should I have to die alone and in a foreign country surrounded by kindly strangers or risk the prosecution of loved ones or having to die before I'm really ready so as I can travel to whatever country will bless me with a kindly death alone?

I don't believe anyone should be able to choose for you and that living wills should be more openly dicussed and respected by both family and medical staff.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 25-Aug-2019 13:23 Message #4749625
There is already DNAR in place so why shouldn't we be able to personally make a choice to be able to die. The medical profession call Alzheimer's " two funerals" once at diagnosis and again when they die. Until enough research has been put in place to at least give one a chance of surviving I do not believe it is in the persons Best Interest to be artificially kept alive as an empty shell. Their personality changes and symptoms like Sundowning just distress the person with Alzheimer's. In the case of Alzheimer's disease and Vascular dementia brain degenerates and the body packs up piece by piece. Bodily functions cease to work as it progresses and it gets to the point where the person can no longer eat by themselves. However, rather than allow the person to die they start to feed them by PEG when they cannot take food themselves. IMHO if the body is refusing food then it is in itself expressing that the person has no life and is being kept alive artificially. This is wrong and I believe that we should accelerate the end rather than put the person through pain and suffering.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 25-Aug-2019 14:28 Message #4749628
I, personally have fought tooth and nail to bring my Mum home and be an unpaid carer rather than her being placed in residential. I'm well aware that it has put my life on hold caring 24/7 but my heart is telling me it is the right thing to do. It will cost me an arm and a leg and the care plan is horrific but I know it would be in her best interest and her wishes. She has reached the point where she lacks capacity and has advanced Alzheimer's. However, when the time comes that I will have to admit defeat and place her in dual residential because her body is packing in and her mind has gone totally I wish I could just hasten the end rather than put her through the pain and distress of End of Life care. It's distressing as it is now for the carer which is why we suffer from carer burnout. My heart is breaking, my body is in burnout but I will try to keep it up for as long as possible. When I hear people blithely say it's only forgetting I feel like swearing you've no f*ing idea if you haven't been at the coalface. Instead I just rant online because I don't care what people think of me or how much I bore them, I am unlikely to meet them anyway. I smile at people in real life to hide the tears and sadness. Instead I garden because punching people is frowned upon.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Aug-2019 18:15 Message #4749641
Actually Bris I would say exactly that as unless some people are shocked into awareness they will never learn until it happens to someone close to them.
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 25-Aug-2019 18:19 Message #4749642
a VERY DIFFICULT SUBJECT, NEEDING MUCH THOUGHT .

The worry is if this is all legalised , there may be loopholes, used by some members of a family to become abusive in matters .maybe into a persons home, finances and such . I think this would have to be planned and done within the law . Who wants a murder charge or be accused of theft or such

Much consideration as to a wise conclusion here .
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 27-Aug-2019 14:35 Message #4749768
This could be an interesting trial.

A Dutch doctor who carried out euthanasia on a 74-year-old woman with Alzheimer’s has been accused of murder, in the first court case since the Netherlands legalised the procedure.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/dutch-doctor-on-trial-for-murder-after-euthanising-alzheimers-patient/ar-AAGmllD?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 27-Aug-2019 15:25 Message #4749776
it really is a difficult subject which needs every case assessing individually. You could never have rules which fit all scenarios.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 27-Aug-2019 16:07 Message #4749782
Amancalled_CHIOG 24-Aug-2019 19:15
Especially as we can now be kept living for longer with the use of medicines.

1.0 As usual, you pose the question and refrain from giving your opinion

2.0 Especially as we can now be kept living for longer with the use of medicines.
What is the connection between your question and this statement?

3.0 Fear not, under Mr B Johnson's version of BrExit and the complete take-over of our NHS by Mr Trump et alia, most of the working population won't be able to afford to buy the "medicines" necessary to keep them living for longer.

4.0 As with most people, you forgot to mention the massive increases in life expectancy brought about in the past by improvements in Public Health.
4.1 Since the times of Thatcher&Blair as these Utilities have been sold off to Overseas Governments, spivs and wideboys/girls, the improvements have slowed considerably.
4.2 When we have Chlorinated-Chicken and Hormone Heavy mechanically recovered meat forced on us, watch out for plagues of rickets and boils.

5.0 It's all in a good cause, tho'

Profit before People

Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 27-Aug-2019 16:25 Message #4749785
In my opinion .we should be able to choose when we die ..i doint think another can decide . When my step fatber died he suffered so .it was a blessi g when he passed.xxx can i just say to my lov ely friend bris .you are amazing xxx thi ki g of you x
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 27-Aug-2019 16:26 Message #4749787
In my opinion .we should be able to choose when we die ..i doint think another can decide . When my step fatber died he suffered so .it was a blessi g when he passed.xxx can i just say to my lov ely friend bris .you are amazing xxx thi ki g of you x
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 27-Aug-2019 16:46 Message #4749794
How sad that even on a serious non-political thread where members are often making heart searching statements that one troll namely Good2BangOn finds it another platform to attack the original poster for asking the question and then anything in government he thinks he can make some cheap extreme lefties smirk at the suffering of others.

There is a time and place for your selfish jibes at others and this thread wasn't that place
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Aug-2019 18:53 Message #4749804
I'm so glad I blocked him/them.

It will be interesting to see the results of the Dutch case, what his reasoning was, was it something requested before the disease set in, as others have said theres so many variables, who brought the prosecution, was it started by the family or clinic?
Female
Kallone_1  Female  Devon 27-Aug-2019 23:04 Message #4749832
I wonder why he is so horrible.

I’m worried that my illness will become worse and that I will want to end my life but will be too ill to do so. I wouldn’t want to spend years in bed doing nothing and being on high dosages of pain killers. That’s not living.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 27-Aug-2019 23:40 Message #4749837
With regards to the case templar highlights it would be unlikely to occur in the UK since a person who lacks capacity and is in a nursing home would automatically placed under DOLS. The person would have to have stipulated it in a LPA and is subject to echr articles 5, 8 & 14. What would be interesting is if it were to be taken to the European Court. Also for a person to have a right to be able to end their life would suggest that they would require to have capacity.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 28-Aug-2019 00:14 Message #4749838
With regards to Property & Finances, which Mumsie alludes to is laid out under your LPA. Often people put them as jointly and severally. Any large sums removed or property sold is classed as deprivation of capital and is treated as if the capital is still there. Also as an Attorney for Health & Welfare you are legally responsible for any decisions made when the person lacks capacity as would have to have been laid out in the LPA. Under the Mental Capacity Act your Attorney must not treat you as unable to make a decision simply because you make an unwise decision. Even if a person is considered to be lacking in capacity as an attorney you are legally bound to take all practical steps to help you make a decision. For instance, this could mean asking the question in a number different ways.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 28-Aug-2019 16:40 Message #4749887
HotOrWot 27-Aug-2019 16:46
How sad that even on a serious non-political thread

WoT?
No hectares of Bolded plagiarized text?

Politics is the action wing of one's Philosophical stance.
Those who claim that they or a particular subject are a-political have either:
# never let serious thought have a place in their minds, or
# are guilty of "Terminological inexactitudes"
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 28-Aug-2019 16:50 Message #4749891
I wonder why he is so horrible.

I’m worried that my illness will become worse and that I will want to end my life but will be too ill to do so. I wouldn’t want to spend years in bed doing nothing and being on high dosages of pain killers. That’s not living.

The troll is horrible because that is what trolls are like. Block him as so many on here have.

You are in an awful situation Kallone and I hope you make the right decisions. It makes some of us realise how lucky we are.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 28-Aug-2019 18:00 Message #4749912
@HotOrWot 28-Aug-2019 16:50

Blatant Bolded Plagiarizing Alert
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Aug-2019 20:01 Message #4749933
Every case is individual. I have a very close friend who is a Hospice Nurse and value her thoughts & opinions greatly as she has such first hand experience of terminal illness. She has always said, the patient must have the last word.

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »