Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Too old? Too young?

Well this is a dating site (7)

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 24-Aug-2019 09:17 Message #4749498
If you were asked out by someone much older or younger would you simply refuse to go or meet for a coffee in any case? Age isn’t important for friendship.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 24-Aug-2019 09:44 Message #4749504
It would be nice to be asked out to go anywhere!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 24-Aug-2019 10:40 Message #4749507
Its also a friendship site, so it would depend on what was being offered, I wouldn't meet anyone for a date as I'm not interested, I can't really see anyone coming all the way up here for a coffee, its a bit different in London and other big cities.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 24-Aug-2019 13:00 Message #4749516
Well I'd love to be asked out by someone much younger. If she was much older then, I suppose I would have to be honest and probably end up as friends, or possibly friends with benefits.

I have a close female friend who is nearing 60, we have been friends for quite a few years.
Male
Eljer  Male  North London 24-Aug-2019 18:11 Message #4749535
Ide love to take you out anywhere...
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 24-Aug-2019 18:31 Message #4749543
I’ve been on a few sites similar to this although this is by far the quietest one. Most guys who contact me are quite a bit older but if I was interested in dating then that wouldn’t bother me.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 24-Aug-2019 21:00 Message #4749558
I have been approached by 25 year olds and I have politely turned them down as being too young for me.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 24-Aug-2019 21:01 Message #4749560
wouldn't date anyone who I could have given birth too or who could have given birth to me...lol
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 24-Aug-2019 22:28 Message #4749572
I limit myself to 30 years either way - got to keep your options open...
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 28-Aug-2019 07:12 Message #4749845
Age is just a number. Unless you’re too old or too young.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Aug-2019 20:08 Message #4749935
They say you are only as old as the man (woman) you are feeling
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 28-Aug-2019 21:45 Message #4749944
The site does start by stating "Friendship... "

I had found, when I was just seeking friends and not dating, that men and women confused me on what was stated in their profiles. I found it harder to meet women friends than accidentally acquire men friends. I always made it clear I wasn't dating and didn't click any dating box but there were some I would chat online with, then when they (some men) got a date they felt I was somehow their "cheat" just because I am a female. That seemed bizarre, to cut off a friend who had never been met with, because of a potential life partner.

In contrast, there was one guy I met a few times in Chester but even though I explained I didn't feel in the right place to date, he still expressed he enjoyed the company and was OK with it. One of the things I liked and trusted more about him was that he admitted he had another platonic female friendship he met from a dating site and he used to go and stay in her spare room the occasional week-end. I found his admission quite refreshing.

Later on, an ex colleague and female friend had been dumped by an annoying guy who used to come and go so I had a gut feeling she and the guy I met in Chester would get on so I introduced them. That was around 8 years ago and 4 years ago this September my eventual partner and I went to their wedding.

Since the thread is about age difference, the very first guy I chatted with and met was 30 years older than me. He was the first of having brilliant conversation I never really enjoyed with either my dad or my ex. I was doing a module at Master's level and he kind of tutored me in how to write better for the assessment. We chatted and chatted on the old Messenger in the evenings when we probably both would have been quite lonely otherwise.
Female
october  Female  Wiltshire 28-Aug-2019 21:51 Message #4749945
My last partner was 10 years older than me, and my lovely partner now is 16 years older than me. Their ages have never come into how I feel about them. The first is still a dear friend and my partner now is such a great guy, Suppose I have been lucky.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 28-Aug-2019 22:19 Message #4749953
Age is just a number. Unless you’re too old or too young.

Words of wisdom.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »