Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I didnt see that coming.

The Printing Press, Electricity, the Net and now Graphene

Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 17-Aug-2019 00:06 Message #4748907
Please humour me for a minute by Googling “Printing Press.”

Johannes Gensfleisch zur Laden zum Gutenberg is such a superstar, isn’t he? And, though a rich goldsmith already, he actually had to borrow enough cash to bring his crazy idea to fruition. That idea being the Gutenberg printing press. And, boy, did he change the world or what?

And then there was that little thing called electricity which, first discovered in Greece 600 years before Christ, by rubbing fur on amber to create static electricity, was still thought of as a force without any kind of real use by the time Alessandro Volta, (1745–1827), created a crude battery for storing the stuff in! But we all know how electricity became rather popular, don’t we? :-)

And the Net … Well, it started as a way of manifesting the idea of a “world wireless system” originally conceived by Nikola Tesla in the 1900’s … and then Paul Otlet and Vannevar Bush, (who imagined sharing searchable books and media in the 1930’s) … and then by J.C.R. Licklider, who thought of an intergalactic network in the 60’s … till Sir Tim Berners-Lee took hold of a “packet switching” concept of transmitting electronic data funded by ARPANET, the U.S. Department of Defence, by making sure EVERYBODY should use the disciplined method he had designed and promoted to access it.

That was the real genius of Tim Berners-Lee. He realised everyone should be on the same page when developing the internet. Otherwise the net could have ended up a Betamax versus VHS affair with different companies inventing different, confusing, opposing versions.

Why this pre-amble down memory lane? Because, as I have outlined, many of the profound inventions and discoveries manifest by an inquisitive humanity, have not always, immediately, broadcast their benefits or advantages … needing either further imagination or further innovative, cerebral, investment to be poured into them before the real, true benefit of their unique characteristics are realised.

Cue GRAPHENE.

If you crush the graphite lead in a pencil and pick up the dust with sticky cellotape, you pick up a layer of the thinnest, known, material on earth!

And when scientists chose to examine that material, they discovered graphite can exist ONE ATOM thick! (Graphite one atom thick becomes GRAPHENE). Furthermore, being a single layer (monolayer) of carbon atoms, tightly bound in a hexagonal honeycomb lattice, it is 200 times stronger than steel, conductive to electricity and able to be connected together like Lego … and humans have an opportunity to manipulate and use it!

We’re at the year 1440 stage of Guttenburg inventing the printing press – but look what happened. We’re at the year 1800 stage of where electricity was … but look what happened. We’re ar the 1900 stage of where the internet was … but look what happened.

With graphene, we can, (one day), build machines to swim inside our veins doing maintenance work OR build an electronic brain better,more efficient than our own. :-)

The following sounds crazy, (to us today), but graphene structures, once perfected and manufactured, mean that the idea of a SPACE ELEVATOR, (A self supporting structure 80.4km or 50 miles high), becomes a viable way of putting objects into low earth orbit without requiring 500,000 gallons, (or whatever), in fuel.

I just don’t know the profound effects graphene technology will yet bring us just as Gutenburg, Tesla, Volta and the like could never have comprehended how the printing press, electricity or the internet would have transformed the human race but Graphene will be just as transformative to humanity.

Your thoughts? And your thoughts on those able to see further than most of humanity?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 17-Aug-2019 13:48 Message #4748941
You might find this cute Space Elevator animation interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPQQwqGWktE

Or you might not! :-)
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 18-Aug-2019 10:40 Message #4749002
I think that 3D printing and stem cells will have a profound effect on humanity. One of the latest is the 3D Printed fully functional and working heart that has been created using 3D printing technology. I believe that the development of this technology will be something that will become the norm rather than the exception in medical science for more than just a 3D printed beating heart.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 18-Aug-2019 10:40 Message #4749003
See:
https://www.intelligentliving.co/first-3d-printed-hearts-grown-stem-cells
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 18-Aug-2019 15:53 Message #4749026
Well … I didn't see that coming, Bris! :-)

I remember the human ear created using such a scaffolding (and grown on the back of a mouse) but a human heart? How utterly incredible … and a technology that might see a human being plugging in replacement, modular based, organs and living for 100's of years one day … or forever?

Brilliant.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 18-Aug-2019 17:21 Message #4749033
The big thing that strikes me with this is that having the ability to use stem cells directly from the person who requires the organ could mean that they would be less likely to suffer from rejection. This could mean that people may be able to have the replacement organs and not need to take medication to stop the body from rejecting the organ.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »