Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Things that highlight things...

...and other things....Too many things there.

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-Aug-2019 15:11 Message #4747377
This thread is highlighting some 'things'.....bringing attention to those 'things'..

Sometimes making them noteworthy in a good or bad way..

Raising awareness perhaps...

but should we just be hushing them up....not mentioning 'things', brushing them under the carpet, blocking them out?...

We are often told to 'get it out in the open', but then when we 'get something out in the open', we are often told to 'forget about it', or 'you're stirring things up' or 'you're obsessed'.....

Rightly or wrongly....There's no pleasing everyone....

Do you do your own thing?....and sod what people think?

Do you bottle things up?

Are some things 'too trivial' to even care about....We all have 'important' things in our lives....but they are just important to us....not to anyone else....so should we just 'never mention' those things, however big or small...

If you or family are suffering an illness, should it just be 'kept quiet, we don't want to know, we have our own things to worry about?'

If a 'trivial' thing is bugging us, should we never mention it, for fear of being shot down?....'A sort of 'nobody cares about an empty crisp packet being thrown into your garden' type thing...or nobody cares about this site...It's meaningless...It may be of less importance to most than other things, but when you log in it has it's own importance in your day...but are we not allowed to speak our minds in our daily lives, for fear of reprisals..

Anyway, that's it for now...
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 3-Aug-2019 15:25 Message #4747378
Anyone is entitled to their own point of view but …

I think how someone expresses their point of view is pertinent to how others may receive such a view.

Being confrontational, aggressive or dictatorial in offering an opinion is liable to attract unwelcome comment based on the delivery rather than the message whereas being peaceful, calm or diplomatic probably allows a point of view its best opportunity to be heard or considered.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 3-Aug-2019 15:27 Message #4747379
Yes and no is the answer or be sensible and remember things which are important to you may be completely insignificant to others. If it makes you feel better mention your "important" thing if and when the subject comes up but don't try to push your thoughts onto other as we see all the time with political left/right extremists.
Sometimes we feel better if we get something off our chest but it's not always a necessity.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 3-Aug-2019 17:12 Message #4747389
It's not what you say, but how you say it.

But the skill does not really lie in knowing what to say, but in knowing when it is better to say nothing, at all.

If something is bugging you, then there all kinds of ways to get closure.

And that's my two penn'orth.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Aug-2019 19:12 Message #4747394
I agree with you Minnie, theres lots of stuff I don't say, but I agree that knowing how to say something is important, remarking that somebody needs to do some inner work is so much more diplomatic that telling them their off their rocker.

It might surprise some, but I don't have an opinion on everything, nor do I feel the need to, but that dosen't mean I won't discuss it.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Aug-2019 08:12 Message #4747421
Thanks for responses...

I agree that having awareness of when and where to say things is important...Some have no awareness.

Most of us....even all of us...get it wrong at times...

Whether getting it wrong is deliberate or not sometimes, is debatable...

There's also a lot of double standards....like, its ok for one person to act a certain way....but not ok for others....Sometimes, if your face fits etc..

There's a saying something like 'Treat others as you would want to be treated yourself'....I think we all have moments where that is not the case....some more than others...
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 4-Aug-2019 08:19 Message #4747422
You’ve got nothing to complain about tumblewed as your face obviously fits just fine here.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 4-Aug-2019 08:20 Message #4747423
Oops Andromeda you have just married him off!
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Aug-2019 08:29 Message #4747426
I don't think my face fits at all here sometimes...certainly with some....You get the feeling that some have those doll things that they stick pins in...

Come to think of it...I've been getting a lot of aches and pans recently...
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 4-Aug-2019 08:30 Message #4747428
Tumblewed getting pans? Are you having a bad spell lol.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Aug-2019 08:34 Message #4747429
Oh yeah....I think it's meant to be pains....

Maybe it's a team thing.....There's no 'i' in pains, and all that...no, that doesn't work properly...there's no 'i' in pans..
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Aug-2019 10:21 Message #4747440
'Do you do your own thing?....and sod what people think?'

You mean on here or in life? if on here, yes, within hopefully the normal boundaries of reason and compassion to those I think deserve it. In life, I'm a humanist so can't.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Aug-2019 10:58 Message #4747450
Life in general Terry...but also on here....

Do people's morals and principles sometimes take a dive, just because it's an 'anonymous' online site for instance, hidden behind the keyboard...

Do we treat people the same, no matter what...

Do we take sides...Something is acceptable because it's someone we like....but the same thing isn't acceptable for someone we hate?..

It's all part of human nature.. human traits...

Something else that comes into my mind...from life's experiences...It's along the lines of if you 'toe the line' all the time, then you often don't get praised for that, but if you waver, then you often seem to get more 'praise' when you waver a bit less....

An example from places I have worked....If you turn up on time every day,. do your work all day, then that is what is obviously expected of you, and you often don't get praised..or even noticed......but if you are constantly late...and then when you do turn up, you skive off for half the time...then you initially get reprimanded a bit....but if you then start turning up on time more often....not all the time...just more often...and when you are there, you don't skive off as much....you often get more praise than the 'toeing the line' one.....Things like, I'm really pleased with 'x', he is turning up more often...and apart from a few times a month, he is on time. Well done, that Man...

Thats life....or any other 70's consumer show...
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Aug-2019 21:24 Message #4747511
You seem to have worked with many of the same people as me tumbleweed, and the taking sides thing, yes, I'll admit to that.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »