Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Birth rate in England and Wales at all-time low

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 1-Aug-2019 20:44 Message #4747242
The birth rate in England and Wales has hit the lowest level since records began, government statistics have shown.

In total, there were 657,076 live births in England and Wales last year – a fall of 3.2% from the previous year and down by 10% from 2012.

The number of live births fell from 11.6 to 11.1 per 1,000 people – the lowest since records started in 1938.

The figures, from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), also showed the proportion of live babies born to mothers who were not born in the UK also fell for the first time since 1990, from 28.4% to 28.2%.

Good? Bad? Why?
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 1-Aug-2019 20:49 Message #4747243
Lol my twelfth grandchild was born on Tuesday this week and my thirteenth is due February

Good? Bad? Why? er expensive! Lol
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 1-Aug-2019 21:03 Message #4747244
Vicky Pollard across the road from me is doing her bit to keep the numbers up.
Neither her, nor 'er bloke have ever worked so they don't exactly contribute in any meaningful way to society - although, they both smoke so I suppose some of their benefits go back to the government in tax.
Sadly, their kids will probably be of the same mindset - as they say the apple never falls far from the tree...
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 1-Aug-2019 21:54 Message #4747252
Cor blimey Guv ! You'd fink they'd find out wot caused it an put a stop to it.

Couple of bricks should do the trick. Mind your thumbs !
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Aug-2019 11:36 Message #4747284
We've got an aging population, so fewer women of child bearing age, younger people are putting it off and waiting until later when they feel more financially secure, the only group that dosen't have a lower birth rate are late 30's-40's. We've got fewer very young mums too which has to be a good thing. If people are having families later then the chances are that they may only have one child as they may not have the biological time for more. A falling birth rate isn't a bad thing in itself, we need fewer people on the planet.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 4-Aug-2019 08:27 Message #4747425
Ummmm. I wonder. Are fewer people having sex? Maybe too busy arguing about Brexit. Or are we making more use of modern birth control methods? In my day we used the “Don’t worry I’ll stop in time” method which wasn’t very successful.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 4-Aug-2019 11:32 Message #4747459
relax folks, ive seen the sky searchlight sign for superfos, sent out by boris.

we are on the case and things should start to change in approx. 9mths time.

in my dreams...
Spam.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 4-Aug-2019 14:54 Message #4747481
The survey wouldn’t have to ignore Thanet and perhaps Thanet has a high level of promiscuity or Catholics. Other areas with a much lower birth rate would offset this as it was a nationwide census.
Female
Pilgrims_Rest  Female  Wiltshire 4-Aug-2019 23:04 Message #4747520
Interesting Subject.

But, I believe that there are still far too many children born in this 21st century.

Why people continue to have children, when they cannot afford to keep, care & look after them
without the intervention of the welfare system & various charities.
We live in an age, where birth control is freely available.

It is not the responsibility of the taxpayers of this country, many who have chosen not to have or
want children of their own. Why should their taxes be used, to bail out all the families who have
chosen to precreate, without a thought for the future.

My mother would say, ""Any Fool Can Have them, but, Not Every Fool Can Rear them"".

On March 31 2018 there were 70,720 "" looked After Children" in care in the UK of which 55,200 were
based in England.
There are 43,500 Foster families in the England. Foster families get paid to take care of "" Looked After
Children" in the care system. Taxpayers money is being used for this purpose, when the birth families
should actually be picking up the cost of caring for their own children ( which are now in the care system)

When it comes to adoption of ""Looked After Children"". When families are selected to be the future
adoptive parents, it is at this point they no longer get any financial help from the Government. Whilst the
child/children are placed with families/future adoptive parents, ""only during this short interval of perhaps a few
months will they be paid any money as foster parents"" From the selection date to the Adoption Finalisation
date, they have to fund all aspects of the child/children.
The Government expect families to fund this cost for up to two years or more.

So perhaps if less children are born, then there will be less children being taken into care & less of a burden on
Taxpayers.

I have learned a lot about Looked after Children in care, Social Workers, Adoption and believe that we need major
changes to our welfare system

We have fewer families prepared to adopt children, because they cannot afford to subsidise the care & welfare
of child/children when the process takes so long. Why should they ??

As a nation of people, we have far too high expectations, of what we believe we are entitled to.

If you have never worked or paid taxes into our system, then you are not entitled to anything out of it.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Aug-2019 23:43 Message #4747532
Some fair points Pilgrim's Rest, and maybe that's one of the reasons for a falling birth rate; however two immediate thoughts are:
maybe what you mention about people choosing to have children is too simplistic for the issue? it doesn't take account of those who didn't choose.
and
'If you have never worked'....does that include people who are unable to work because of disability or taking the role of house person?
I appreciate your answer may have been aimed mainly at the falling birth rate, but it does show the difficulties of having a benefit system.
Female
Pilgrims_Rest  Female  Wiltshire 5-Aug-2019 10:09 Message #4747550
it doesn't take account of those who didn't choose.

I
and
'If you have never worked'....does that include people who are unable to work because of disability or taking the role of house person?
I appreciate your answer may have been aimed mainly at the falling birth rate, but it does show the difficulties of having a benefit system.
Female
Pilgrims_Rest  Female  Wiltshire 5-Aug-2019 10:40 Message #4747553
Terry.

The above reply was sent before I had made any comments. Please ignore.

it doesn't take account of those who didn't choose.

People choose to have sex & the consequences can result in producing babies, if you have not thought
about your actions beforehand. This is careless in my opinion. Children never ask to be born, and
I believe it's wrong to have them if you don't want them. yes!! The attitude seems ""Someone else
will pick up the problem""
The recent case of the 23 year old mother who murdered her two babies, because it interfered
with her lifestyle. So why did she have them, especially with her type of ;lifestyle??? Shame on her.

and

Perhaps I should have made it clearer, by saying, that it is a well known fact, that there are 3 or 4
generations of families who have never done a days work in their lives, yet still expect the state to take
care of them & make quite a noise should they fail to get what they demand.. The Govt. is to blame for this.
Make them get of their arses & go to work.

Not all disabled people are unable to work. Yes there are probably quite a few who cannot work because their
disability is too bad & working is not possible.
Houseperson/housewife/houseman. I am a houseperson, but, I worked all my life, except when I was rearing
my children until they reached school going age. Then I went back to work & retired when I reached retirement age.

I appreciate your answer may have been aimed mainly at the falling birth rate, but it does show the difficulties
of having a benefit system.

We have a great Benefit System, which is the envy of most of the world.
Sadly it is so criminally exploited by those who will not work & contribute, yet, feel it's theirs to be taken
freely.
Our benefit system needs complete overhauling & all the loopholes closed for those who choose to raid
it at will.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »