Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Physical Attraction

What are the rules? And what process defines those rules?

Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 30-Jul-2019 14:10 Message #4746918
Some of us will have a specific idea when it comers to describing the physical attributes of any potential mate while others may not even add physical requirements to their search for a partner at all.

I’m planning to stick with humans rather than attempting to go all Darwinian on the matter.

My question(s) focus on some topics I’d like to ponder including;

a) Do you think nature cares who mates with who at all? Does the survival instinct overrule everything else?

b) Is there some inherent reason why one female will be attracted to a man’s upper arms or butt or some guy will be attracted to breasts or long legs? Do these localised, idiosyncratic, tastes serve a purpose across a tribe, a community or a region?) I wonder what such a purpose could be.

c) Acknowledging that we do have such diverse preferences, is it because nature likes to mix and match, to explore and experiment with so many different variables when it comes to melding the pot pourri of life it seems determined to recreate.

d) Do you think, subconsciously, all of us choose, (or are attracted to), individuals we really fancy or do you think nature, our genes or our DNA makeup dictates the sort of person we are attracted to? Is it a case of opposites attract OR some narcissistic need to find someone just like ourselves?

e) And for the PC community … Some of the earliest works of (prehistoric) art celebrates the life giving attributes of swollen, milk filled, breasts and the gorged vaginas of carved statues of the Venus figurine type.

“There can be no doubt that the depiction of oversized breast, exentuated buttocks and genitalia result from the deliberate exaggeration of the sexual features of the figurine.” AND “their clear sexual attributes suggest that they are a direct or indirect expression of fertility.” (See link at bottom for reference).

You’d get locked up for daring to describe or ‘objectify’ a woman that way these days! Yet … really … we are programmed to objectify the opposite sex, (for obvious reasons), aren’t we?

Yep. Sure. We don't neccassarily think this way when we first see someone that we find attractive but ... do you think, (whether you're a
promiscuous sort or someone looking for genuine love), that you control your own emotions when it comres to the ritual of attraction OR is it nature, your genetics or something else controlling your natural desire to mate? :-)

Those Midsummer members still capable of mating, I mean! :-)

See https://www.donsmaps.com/hohlefelsvenus.html for further info.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 29-Aug-2019 11:34 Message #4750020
Its a fuñny old world beach .im 61 have just realised .and opened my eyes to the fact .that ive loved someone from a far for 10 yrs .i finaley got tbe balls to tell him .we are a couple .he is on mse .maybe after the wk end we will tell our love story x joolsy
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-Aug-2019 11:48 Message #4750025
Physical attraction isn't the problem its what to do afterwards thats the problem, some of us are natural shag bandits who want to do the deed and then go and something else whereas others are romantics who want to set up home and live happily ever after. We have societies that values the later over the former for centuries, and yet the the shag bandits are still here and no amount of social engineering has got us rid of them.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 29-Aug-2019 13:37 Message #4750033
lol @ W/hen..... that has really tickled me.... lol lol lol...... and its sooo true
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 29-Aug-2019 21:09 Message #4750078
Whether we like them or not, shag bandits are essential for the diversity of the gene pool.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 30-Aug-2019 10:31 Message #4750157
"b) Is there some inherent reason why one female will be attracted to a man’s upper arms or butt or some guy will be attracted to breasts or long legs? Do these localised, idiosyncratic, tastes serve a purpose across a tribe, a community or a region?) I wonder what such a purpose could be."

I'd have a guess and say it's the ying yang thing. Women like strong arms, shoulders ect because they don't have them. Men like big ole titties because they don't have them. Women needed the strength for protection and resources, and men needed the breast to nourish his descendents.

I believe men and women work fantastic together, as long as we stay in our roles..... So to speak.

"c) Acknowledging that we do have such diverse preferences."

I think as far as sexual attraction goes, women ideal types don't seem as diverse as men's ideal type. Women seem to like the same type of man, at least to me, on the surface. Where as men have a broad range of sexual attraction, ranging from tall women, to short women, skinny to fat, 18 to grannies, blondes and brunettes ect.

"You’d get locked up for daring to describe or ‘objectify’ a woman that way these days!"

True. These days it's the women who are perfectly free to objectify men. It's not that objectification is wrong, it's who is doing it seems to be the issue now.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 30-Aug-2019 10:44 Message #4750158
Rules? What rules?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 30-Aug-2019 21:59 Message #4750267
No rules Nigel. You are the wild one.
Female
Kallone_1  Female  Devon 31-Aug-2019 07:57 Message #4750283
What makes people attractive can be a mystery but luckily everyone’s tastes are different so I believe there really is someone for everyone.
Although good looks can attract my attention it’s personality which can blow my mind. Spending so much time in a wheelchair you see a completely different side to people. Even the small gang of “yobs” hanging around the small shopping precinct who are often loud and aggressive become polite and hold doors open. I like to think that having the chance to help someone, be useful and appreciated brings out the best in them.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Sep-2019 06:11 Message #4752648
Whether we like them or not, shag bandits are essential for the diversity of the gene pool.

Very profound.

But true.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 15-Sep-2019 14:13 Message #4752717
Also, its nice people have started to appreciate how essential you are Hottie!
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Sep-2019 15:01 Message #4752723
Also, its nice people have started to appreciate how essential you are Hottie!

I’m safe. I’ve never had physical attraction or sexual prowess or any of that old nonsense.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 15-Sep-2019 16:14 Message #4752731
More wottie, than hottie, then maybe? ;P
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Sep-2019 21:44 Message #4752790
I’ve almost lost the Wottie too but I’m hanging in there.

Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 15-Sep-2019 23:04 Message #4752799
They do say that we are unwittingly attracted to someone who resembles us in physical characteristics but for myself I've had my strong atractions and relationships with both blond, dark, blue eyes/brown eyes, fair-skinned/olive-skinned etc. I guess I do go for tall, lean, and longer hair, which is my own genotype; and I recall strangers, when we were on holiday, thinking my 2nd husband and I might be brother and sister because of our looks.....so maybe there is something in the theory.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 16-Sep-2019 08:02 Message #4752850
How do we recognise a shag bandit?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 16-Sep-2019 10:00 Message #4752854
Are you looking for one then, Andromeda? My, you are the dark horse! ;)
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 16-Sep-2019 10:17 Message #4752855
'Shag bandit'... ... Urban dictionary

"A gentleman that is frequently copulating with a variety of women"

Petrhaps they should wear a badge! lol
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 16-Sep-2019 18:31 Message #4752906
Good grief no Minnie-the-Minx it would scare me to death. I would rather meet a serial killer.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 16-Sep-2019 18:39 Message #4752908
Some women are shag bandits too, its the thrill of the chase.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 17-Sep-2019 20:57 Message #4753083
Some women are shag bandits too, its the thrill of the chase.

Far more men fit that description but you are quite right that women can be like that too.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »