Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Visual Impairment

Opens your eyes

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 26-Jul-2019 23:42 Message #4746496
Forgive the pun, but it sums up my experience now, it's not me that's visually impaired by the way.
Do any of you have any experience of the condition/illness? I've been surprised by the thoughtlessness of some people who just barge on in their own little worlds and pay no attention to people with sight loss, even though those people have white sticks and are obviously unsure of where they are stepping.
It's also fair to say these thoughtless people seem to be in the minority and most people are respectful, tolerant and helpful.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 27-Jul-2019 06:48 Message #4746502
I’ve known two completely blind people who were amazing.
The first was a foreman in a factory I worked in soon after leaving school. He always knew where everyone was and who he was speaking to. He even knew when I read the newspaper instead of working, hearing the rustle of pages turning.
He had a micrometer with a large Braille part replacing the usual reading bit (I don’t know the technical terms). I’d never known a blind person before and I admired him a lot.
The second is a solicitor. He has his secretary and office and is well respected in the profession. Ive seen him in court and he now knows the regular legal buildings and you hardly notice his disability. He used to live about a half mile from his office and walked every day. He has recently moved further from his office and walks about a mile, rain, snow or shine, crossing three busy roads, manoeuvring around black sacks and bins on rubbish collection days. He is fascinating to watch. One day I saw him walk into a shop’s A-board placed on the path and in stumbling he lost his sense of direction and continued to walk in the wrong direction but before I could cross the road to help he had realised and gradually found his course. He walks it every day and must know every dip and bump and kerb.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 28-Jul-2019 15:51 Message #4746646
Personanongrata. Those two guys sound amazing. I’m often surprised how adaptable we can be when overcoming disabilities.
Terry. Some people are thoughtless but as you say they are in the minority.
I have a friend with learning difficulties and most people are helpful and kind to him.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 29-Jul-2019 18:58 Message #4746765
I completely lost the sight in my right eye 30 plus years ago. It came back, mostly, in a few weeks but even losing the sight in the one eye was not fun. How did Peter Falk drive with only one eye?

I currently have approximately 60% vision (best corrected) in my right eye, which is now the better of the two since a cataract op and retinal peel 4 years ago. The left eye is running at about 30% vision (best corrected).
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 29-Jul-2019 21:10 Message #4746792
I have a friend with no sight. He hates peoples referring to it as visually impaired and insists noooooo I’m bloody blind not impaired.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 30-Jul-2019 05:57 Message #4746845
That's another interesting aspect of it HoW....my friend isn't fully blind yet, we had the discussion over how to describe the different stages and came to the same conclusion, he reckons many people who can't see at all prefer the term blind.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 16-Sep-2019 19:46 Message #4752924
Ive just lost the sight in my left eye .i am now extra tidy ..i hate people movin things as then i cant find them lol .i feel im coping okeys with me one eye
Lol .its just that i sometimes bumb into people if they come by my left side .so im forever sayin sorry atm .x
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 16-Sep-2019 20:01 Message #4752933
Joolsy. Are you sure you don’t bump into people on purpose just so you can go away chuckling ;)
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 16-Sep-2019 20:33 Message #4752946
Lol mr quiet .so funny i bumped into the nurse when i was going to the bathroom .we both ended up dancin together lol .and the typos im makin when lol lol im trying to text

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »