Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Would you avoid buying a car because of it's number plate?

What plate would you avoid?

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 26-Jul-2019 20:52 Message #4746468
Another one of my pondering posts - I was driving home from work this evening and I was behind a car with the number plate that ended with the letters FGM.
Now the way my mind works I thought.. "oh yuk that's reminded me of female genital mutilation, how horrible."
So it got me thinking, if you were buying a car would the number plate put you off? Are there certain letters you would avoid? Are there certain letters that would attract you, or are you a normal sane person who doesn't give these things a moment's thought?...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 26-Jul-2019 21:01 Message #4746469
Anything personalised, that doesn't personalise properly, and just ends up looking silly...
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 26-Jul-2019 21:04 Message #4746470
The number plate (if rude or similar) wouldnt put me off if I liked the car. Its quite easy to change number plates now, with the DVLC.

I have a personal number plate too, but it was bought as a gift for me. I wouldnt go out of my way to buy one
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 26-Jul-2019 21:51 Message #4746474
Not bothered what's on the plate.

My first motor was a Ford Popular with the number plate POP 303, wish I still had that.

I did fancy Mary Millingtons number plate FU2.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 26-Jul-2019 23:00 Message #4746486
if the price is right... ?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 26-Jul-2019 23:15 Message #4746490
What number plate would I avoid?

SEX 1

Somebody would be bound to sue me under trades descriptions or false pretences!
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 27-Jul-2019 09:51 Message #4746513
I doubt it would bother me, as I would likely not have a clue what any initials stood for anyway. Whenever anything is shortened to initials only, I seem to fail to work out what they are and always wish people would write it out in full. If I had seen FGM it would have been just that, or maybe 'Feel Good Man' or Finally Got Married' or somebodies name. such as 'Frederick Gareth Murphy'. Initials can always be, whatever you want them to be.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Jul-2019 11:26 Message #4746520
No I doubt it would put me off, like SU I probably wouldn't notice and I really can't see the point of spending a shed load of money on a private plate.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 16-Sep-2019 06:35 Message #4752847
I have seen a few number plates and thought “I wouldn’t want that on my car” but it’s easy enough to change it.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »