Conversation Travel Holidays and Meetups
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Only in the U.K.

Holiday time.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 21-Jul-2019 16:33 Message #4745884
If you were choosing a destination to holiday for a week in the U.K. where would you go?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 21-Jul-2019 17:24 Message #4745886
Not everyone's choice but I regularly go to Mablethorpe because at one end there is miles of empty beach which is ideal for the dogs and they are allowed on it all year round.
Male
Helper icon Helper
Chris2mates  Male  Lancashire 21-Jul-2019 19:58 Message #4745895
I've stayed in the UK for the past 5 years and its a joy! So many places to explore. No worries about airports etc and the locals are always so friendly.

Try Edinburgh and the Kelpies f Falkirk, or what about Durham and Lindisfarne with Seahouses not far away with Banborough too.

West Wales is always a joy with fab beaches and Dolphins to admire as well. We're aiming to see Canturbury and Cambridge next.

Wherever you go have fun!
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 21-Jul-2019 20:27 Message #4745897
I really want to go to The Shetlands but the flight prices are astronomical before I even find a hotel.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 21-Jul-2019 22:38 Message #4745904
There are a lot of islands around Scotland I would like to see.
Female
LutonLady  Female  Bedfordshire 22-Jul-2019 07:44 Message #4745912
I never get fed up with cycling around the countryside. One of my favourite places is the Norfolk coast and down to Lowestoft. I’ve often stayed in Cromer and like it there a lot.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 22-Jul-2019 12:30 Message #4745922
the Fen area of Lincolnshire!

leogirl.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 22-Jul-2019 18:32 Message #4745932
Another vote for Wales, although Northumberland and the Lake District are very nice too. I tend to holiday abroad because it's often cheaper!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Jul-2019 18:36 Message #4745933
I've never been to Northumberland and along with the Orkneys these are places I'd love to go.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 22-Jul-2019 21:50 Message #4745948
Cornwall is lovely, especially if the weather is good. It does require a car though, to appreciate it fully.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 26-Jul-2019 06:24 Message #4746350
Cornwall is lovely

Indeed it is. Chauffeur?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Aug-2019 07:40 Message #4748304
Tough one, there are so many places.
Whilst I love Scotland and the Isles, the last time I went to Shetland it took three days to get there (went by train and boat), Outer Hebrides, needed a day to recover from the driving, Northumberland - awesome county, the Lakes, too busy.
I'd probably plump for Devon and Cornwall because of the friendliness of a few people from here I've met and the beauty and history, or Mid to North Wales because I could go with friends who live in those areas.

I've often wondered about Oxfordshire and further south east below London, but the southern accent grates with me even though a small few of the people seem friendly enough.
Norfolk and Suffolk have a 'rolling' beauty, but bloody hell, they are SO flat! the drive to the coast seemed to go on for a lifetime.

Reckon I might have to stay up here and consider a walk to the border with them Lancastrians...though couldn't possibly interlope over there, their accent is even worse, and they're all weavers!!
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 11-Aug-2019 13:07 Message #4748329
Tha's got that reet wrong Terry !

W is for White / Wrong side of t'hills.
R is for Red / Right side of t'hills. :-)

And our accent can't that different - I've been accused ( by Yorkshire folk ) of coming from Barnsley with my lancasterian accent !!

Back on topic ..

I want to visit more of Scotland, love Wales... north, south and middle, especially away from the crowds.
Norfolk broads and even that foreign land over t'hills ... getting me passport ready for going there in Sept.

Chris.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 11-Aug-2019 16:12 Message #4748338
Living in Devon and having easy access to Cornwall has always made it very easy to find holidays fairly local to me with so much variety. If I travel further afield I like Norfolk and parts of Suffolk.

Male
petergarratt  Male  Cambridgeshire 11-Aug-2019 22:59 Message #4748385
I would have a week on the Norfolk coast as it is close to not far away from where I live. The local people are friendly. .use unspoilt. And reasonably cheap
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 12-Aug-2019 06:18 Message #4748405
The U.K. has some beautiful scenery and interesting places but are often unappreciated as holidaymakers fly off to find the sunshine. With Brexit due with its added complications of passports, crossing borders, medical issues, etc., this would be a good time to be thinking about spending money in our own country and supporting the U.K. through, what will be, a tough time.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 13-Aug-2019 07:45 Message #4748507
I agree we don’t appreciate the beauty of our own country. During the school holidays I think of lots of places local or not too far to take the kids or sometimes with other parents who have a car which is handy.
Local to me there is Stowe Nat Trust, Silverstone lots of sporting events, Stoke Bruerne canal boats, trips and museum. Lots of lovely villages, country walks, cycle paths and lakes. I’m possibly as far away from sea as you can get in England but even an occasional journey for a day out on the beach.
A beautiful country. Definitely one of the most beautiful countries in the world if you think of everything we have in the U.K.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 13-Aug-2019 09:37 Message #4748518
Seaside has always been something that has been close to my heart....Born by the sea, lived many years by the sea, even worked on the sea...but nowadays find myself living miles from the sea...

I have loved holidays in seaside places in the UK all my life....From a kid going with adults, to an adult going with partner and kids...

We used to go to Devon a lot, Woolacombe and Ilfracombe...Surfing on that beach at Woolacombe was brilliant...Not like Hawaii perhaps...but still brilliant...

I haven't been to Scarborough or Whitby or Robin Hoods bay for many years....I used to love it there..
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 26-Aug-2019 13:59 Message #4749689
I like cities and always enjoy London but for a seaside destination probably Brighton.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 29-Aug-2019 07:14 Message #4749990
It was always traditional for the hardy Brit to head for seaside and sit on the beach no matter how cold it was. If it rained a mad exodus of half dressed holidaymakers would run for shelter and eat fish n chips waiting for a dry spell.
I would go for a week in Great Yarmouth and relive those childhood memories.
Female
Ilsmileforu  Female  Durham 29-Aug-2019 12:00 Message #4750028
I love Cornwall, one of my favourite places.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 1-Sep-2019 01:59 Message #4750420
I actually get "homesick" for Wales, even though I lived there only 7 years! (and when I was adult)
Fortunately I still have friends there who I go to visit and get my fix.
I like most of it but my favourite part is the Gower coast, where I lived. It has everything from stunning coast and countryside to a wealth of history and culture; not to mention very warm and friendly people.
I caught some programme on Channel5 the other night where aged "celebs" were travelling through Wales in motorhomes, They toured Gower and were amazed by its beauty. They finished that particular programme on the campsite overlooking Three Cliffs Bay, one of my favourite haunts, and I felt quite emotional!!
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 4-Sep-2019 08:56 Message #4750791
Back to work today as youngest back at school. Eldest goes to college on Monday and has promised to blitz the house today as a treat for me.
We’ve spent the school holidays having a brilliant time and hardly spent a penny. Visited parks, lakes, museums and galleries and walked through beautiful woods and countryside.

We live in a lovely country.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 5-Sep-2019 07:05 Message #4750961
Yes we do live in a lovely country. I was saying the same thing on another thread. Best country in the world in my opinion. Your school break time sounds as if you enjoyed it.
Did your daughter blitz the house?
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Sep-2019 10:49 Message #4750986
I love the school breaks mrquiet and days out with my girls and other friends. my daughter made an excellent job of tidying and cleaning :o)

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »